Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Reader in web-browser

I am thinking of creating a website with my books. Does anyone know of reader app in java/flash/something else running in a web browser? That would eliminate the need of a local program or browser plugin which I am not always allowed to install...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
hrickh
Enthusiast
hrickh began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, EeePC 4G Surf
If you're using firefox, there's an EPubReader addon:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/45281/

R.
==
hrickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know about the addon, but I don't want that. That requires installation and that is not always possible. It must be a standalone webapplication.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
hrickh
Enthusiast

Yeah, sorry about that... I misread that you didn't want a plugin or local program.

I've read a bit about Bookworm, which looks to be licensed under the BSD license. Have you thought about contacting the program author?

As an aside, you should take into consideration that java and/or flash would need to be installed on the client side in this case, so you're back to dealing with something locally installed.

R.
==

Last edited by hrickh; 08-11-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:24 AM   #5
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I know about the addon, but I don't want that. That requires installation and that is not always possible. It must be a standalone webapplication.
Doesn't it work in FireFox Portable? No installation required.

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

It still may not be exactly what your'e looking for, as you do have to download FFP on the computer (or bring it with you on a USB flash drive), though.

Last edited by RoboRay; 08-12-2010 at 03:27 AM.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 05:27 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard

Yes, perhaps... Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
hrickh
Enthusiast

Worst case scenario, you could always convert the books you wanted to serve up into HTML or simple txt format. That way at least you'd know they could be read by any browser.

R.
==
Old 09-01-2010, 01:39 AM   #8
bookoffers
Connoisseur
bookoffers began at the beginning.

Device: NOne
Opera could also be better for browsing used in any ebook.
bookoffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
oliwek
oliwek began at the beginning.

Device: Asus TF101, Nexus S, PRS-T1, eee-pc 701, IBM X41 (ubuntu)
for PDFs you have : PDFVue

it's a web application, so you can read your files in your browser ; it can also convert other document types to pdf and let edit those as PDFs.
oliwek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
hrickh
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliwek View Post
for PDFs you have : PDFVue

it's a web application, so you can read your files in your browser ; it can also convert other document types to pdf and let edit those as PDFs.
Still needs to have a browser extension installed.

But it's a great app.

R.
==
Old 09-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
google ibis reader
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
hrickh
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
google ibis reader
Nice!

R.
==
Old 09-16-2010, 04:12 AM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard

Very nice. And it has experimental support for your own catalogue. When I have time I will try the dropbox-method.