Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 04:31 AM   #1
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
WiFi Edition! Will Prices drop?

Now that Amazon has announced it's WiFi only Edition of the Kindle, it gets interesting looking at how prices for the Kindle Editions will change.

Since 3G is paid for by amazon, and WiFi (HotSpot) is paid for by us - prices should go down.

IMHO I think there are 2 ways amazon can go: different prices for 3G and WiFi delivery - or one lower price for all, thus crossfinancing the "losses" with 3G with the "gains" from WiFi.

Most likely, Amazon isn't going to change anything though - they just milk the cow as long as it lasts.......
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
There is one lower price and one added ability - personal docs can be sent and delivered via wi-fi for free (use the @free.kindle.com address) and the browser can now be used in any country at no charge, so long as you use the wifi version (many countries don't have browser capability) and you find a free hotspot. Since delivery of most books was under 10 cents in costs to Amazon, I doubt you'll see any changes in pricing (just as those who download via USB don't get any break in costs). You may see a difference internationally, but I suspect not (unless they start giving US prices and charge a cellular fee outside the US, which may not go over well with most non-US customers). I wonder, too, if prices can change in Germany, where many things are price protected by law (didn't they include ebooks, in order to protect print book prices?)
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
It would be lovely if they dropped around Christmas, as I am going to buy one for myself at that time.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote