Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your favorite eBook reading software?
Plucker 6 7.14%
eReader 20 23.81%
iSilo 9 10.71%
Other 54 64.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2007, 07:21 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd vote for uBook. It puts everything else in the shade - once you get used to its somewhat "quirky" configuration system.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #17
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshire View Post
And another from me too, collectively under "Others".
Same here
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2007, 06:25 AM   #18
MishaS
Connoisseur
MishaS is on a distinguished road

Device: Nokia N810/Nokia E51
Pity nobody's mentioned FBReader
MishaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:55 AM   #19
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaS View Post
Pity nobody's mentioned FBReader
FBReader works. But that's the best I can say about it right now. It's still a bit rough on the edges (like not letting me turn off right justification in the versions that I have).

After it's been polished a bit, maybe.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #20
MishaS
Connoisseur
MishaS is on a distinguished road

Device: Nokia N810/Nokia E51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
FBReader works. But that's the best I can say about it right now. It's still a bit rough on the edges (like not letting me turn off right justification in the versions that I have).

After it's been polished a bit, maybe.
We'd appreciate if you could share your experience and expectations in FBReader group (this forum is also OK, it's just I do not follow it very often these days).
MishaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2007, 09:48 PM   #21
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
For me FBreader on Nokia is the most amazing reader software. I've been with it from its beginning and reported all the bugs I found, experimented as the creators suggested on their Google group, and from version 0.7.e or f on (now is 0.8??, forgot since on OS2006 I update it wirelessly without going through a pc) it's been perfect for me.

It can read a lot of formats and quite a few languages (including unencrypted Mobipocket, and opf), it reads zip archives so you can save lots of space by compressing your books and more recently it even paginates numerically the book and shows the time on that bar (which you toggle in and out as you wish with a button). Of course it has all the standard things like rotation, library, previous opened book, recent book list, table of contents, search, customizable margins, font, colors, character list, image embedding, automatic saving...

I guess that for any other devices you just have to report your experiences and bugs on the Google group and the fix will come soon.

Also the Ebk1150 proprietary software is pretty good, fast, good search and the rest.

On my PC I tried this and that including uBook, but ultimately for anything reflowable I discovered I read it best in html with my Firefox browser.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:29 AM   #22
Janet
Janet began at the beginning.

Device: k750
My favorite bookreader is readmaniac (http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/ReadManiac/index.htm)
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #23
Katrina Cardway
Katrina Cardway began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket PC/HP6315
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherdman View Post
Another vote for Mobipocket.
We're very excited that we've begun offering Mobipocket books at eBooksAboutEverything.com - now we can get the books we want from our own store.
Katrina Cardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:42 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina Cardway View Post
We're very excited that we've begun offering Mobipocket books at eBooksAboutEverything.com - now we can get the books we want from our own store.
Can you offer BBeB (LRF) format books for the Sony Reader?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:22 PM   #25
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
FBReader is my favorite. (Though I don't have an awful lot of choices on my reading platform, the iLiad.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #26
Katrina Cardway
Katrina Cardway began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket PC/HP6315
Would if I could - For Sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you offer BBeB (LRF) format books for the Sony Reader?
So far, Sony is trying to keep retailing of their format to their own online store. We aren't able to offer this particular format yet.

Personally, I think they might have had a chance in the format wars if they had spread their seed a little rather than keeping it in their pants.

So we're not getting in bed with Sony just yet - but our store is all about providing anything that we can to make it easy for customers to find just what they are looking for, content-wise and format-wise. So I'll be sure to update if we do.

However, I've got it on good authority that the Sony reader will begin reading Mobipocket format books natively in a few short weeks. If that's all good - then I may actually plunk my change down and get a Sony too, Since we, at www.eBooksAboutEverything.com have Mobipocket ebooks now!

This new alliance may help Sony win the hardware war, even if their parley into proprietary reading formats doesn't work out so well.

Cheers -
Katrina

Last edited by Katrina Cardway; 07-23-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Katrina Cardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could offer LRF format. LRF is the DRM free version of the BBeB format for the Sony Reader. I know I'd love it if I could buy DRM free books that are current sellers.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:32 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
What about EPUB/Digital Editions? How's that looking?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
What about EPUB/Digital Editions? How's that looking?
Actually, it's not very useful at the moment for anything other then a computer or a windows mobile device.

In English. Won't sell well at all at the moment.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Oh, I know that part, I was wondering if the e-booksellers had any more insight into how EPUB looks in the near future is all.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote