Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Curious - what custom columns are you creating/using?

I just last week updated from one of the 06.xx versions to 0.7.6 and am now playing with user defined columns. At the moment I am adding columns for:

Source (ie. where purchased/obtained from) such as Amazon, Fictionwise, MobileRead, etc.

Original Format (ie. the original file type before conversions): lit, mobi, azw, epub, etc.

Read (Yes/No)....though I may change this one so I can populate it with DNF (did not finish) or Reading (current) in addition to Yes or No.

I was using regular tags for these but decided I'd like sep. columns for them.

What custom columns is everyone else using?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Right now, I just using a column using the star rating to indicate what's been read: 1 star=unread - No star=read.

When I start scanning my songbooks, I'll file each song as sheet music and I'll have a column to show what songbook the song came from. I might add a column to show songs I might want to arrange.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have one yes/no column for successfule conversion to epub with metadata and covers
and another to keep track of converion problems such as page numbers, page headers, books that can or should only be pdf such as cookbooks etc. DRM

Thanks to Chaley for the custom columns as I have many ebooks and this makes the job a lot less confusing.

I like your idea of original source, but by now I have no idea on over 6000 books
Oh well something to think on for future
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I have a "user tags" for tags/notes I don't want to appear in the "Jacket"

I also have a "Edited Date" to keep track of "My edits"(re-format) of the original work without destroying the (original entry)"Date" value .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I like your idea of original source, but by now I have no idea on over 6000 books
It can be a chore...thankfully I had started tagging them that way when I first started using Calibre, but I still have to go check on some of them by logging into either Amazon or FW or checking my original download folders. But still, I'm only working with 800 books so far, not 6000!
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I have a "user tags" for tags/notes I don't want to appear in the "Jacket"

I also have a "Edited Date" to keep track of "My edits"(re-format) of the original work without destroying the (original entry)"Date" value .
Oh! I like this thought. I have some that I want to make notes on about conversion or that required more extensive editing than others and don't want that in the "Jacket" area.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
tarakanbg
tarakanbg began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 302
I have language field and read boolean. I'm also thinking of adding some star-like field for the technical quality of the e-book file.
tarakanbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Oh! I like this thought. I have some that I want to make notes on about conversion or that required more extensive editing than others and don't want that in the "Jacket" area.
Exactly
Now if I could only get someone to follow through on my notes
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Now if I could only get someone to follow through on my notes
Isn't that always the hardest part of any plan?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarakanbg View Post
I'm also thinking of adding some star-like field for the technical quality of the e-book file.
Now that is a good idea too...so you can see at a glance whether you know you need to spend some time editing or not. I like it.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
My wife maintains, edits and often writes the coursebooks/teaching material for an online non-profit teaching organization. I've set up a custom column for "Course Number" and another for "Teacher."
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #12
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I have a "Average Rating" with a floating decimal that keeps track of the various user ratings on my books in calibre. I get the ratings either when I link the book or when I download the CSV from Good Reads.

I also have an "exclusive shelf" that I can keep track of which exclusive shelf the book is on in Calibre.

I have a "Source" colum that allows me to keep track of where I got the book (Amazon, Smash Words, Public Downloads, etc)

I have a binding colume (paperback, Kindle, ebook)

I also have a location meaning NITC (Not in the cloud) or ITC (In the cloud) this helps me when I make a catalogue to determine if the book I want to read is found in the Cloud, making it instantly accessable, or if I need to download it from my computer.

Plust I have the comond "date read" "date added" "ISBN" "Google ID"
Rellwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:45 PM   #13
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I use different custom columns in my various libraries.

In my Warehouse library, I have a Source column to indicate where I purchased the book (or got as a freebie).

In my main library have custom columns for Grade (to indicate the letter grade), Date First Read, ane Read? (a Y/N column). I love that the green checkmarks from the Read? column display in Calibre Companion on my Nexus.

In my Vault library I have the same custom columns as my main library, but also have a custom column for Date Archived. I started this library when I wanted to keep some books but not have them on my Sony.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:43 AM   #14
ingmar
Connoisseur
ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
I have a lot of translated books, so I have Original Title, Original Year, Translator and Illustrator custom fields.

I also have a Genre field (separate from tags) and Reading Age for my children's books.
ingmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I have a few fairly simple columns. From (where I purchased), Status (already read, to be read soon, series etc.), Pages (page count), Which Kindle (which kindle the book is on, if any), Rating (my personal rating, if I have read the book), Price, Genre (the genre column is mostly unused, because most of my books are SF/Fantasy and there's no need to sort them by genre).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote