Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
esowden
not your typical dude...
esowden began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Multiple e-readers???

I've noticed there are several on this board who sport more than one e-reader. I'm sure some are just a collection built up over the years.

Any other reason why?
esowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Some people have one for home, one for travel, especially if they've got different screen sizes. Or one e-ink and one not, because those have drastically different features. Different filetype readability, perhaps, for e-ink readers, or access to different stores.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Several reasons, in my own case:

1. Different devices support different formats and features.
2. It's nice to have small devices for portability, and large devices for use at home.
3. I just like playing with new gadgets!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I agree with HarryT.
My cybook gen3 supports mobipocket, my sony prs-500 supports epub. Good to have the option.
I got my prs-600 just because I fell in love with it in the store.
If I had the money and could justify it to myself, I would probably buy any device out there...
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
In my case,
The Dr1000s does pdfs very well as it has a large screen & you can write all over them.
It is good for newspapers and anything that benefits from a larger screen.
The Sony however is fine for reading, lighter and smaller etc, ideal for travelling.

If the DR800 had come out though, I may have compromised and gone for that, but I do use the writing/annotating ability of the DR1000 a lot.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm a Kindle owner. I just bought a Nook 'cause it's pretty.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:06 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Different situations, different readers is my motto...

The Loox (PDA) I use for emergency situations. It was my main reader until I bought my JE100. As I always have my PDA with me, and not always my JE100 (it is bigger, won't fit my pocket), it's a perfect reader for those times when you have five minutes.

The JE100 is my main reader in these dark times. It's LCD, backlit and perfect to read in a dark bedroom or while waiting outside for my ride home.

The BeBook Mini is for all other situations. Reading outside while it's light, reading in a lighted room, etc.

When I leave the house with my bag, I always have all three with me...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I've had my Palm Zire72 for quite a few years... It has a backlit screen, and is perfect for reading on night shifts..

I only just bought a Hanvon N516, which has 2,100 books preloaded and an E-Ink screen... I find it difficult to read on at night time, because the light reflects on the screen..

My Net-book I use for reading Kindle books I just can't live without, and can't find anywhere else.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:30 AM   #9
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
I got a Pocket Pro because my eBookwise is woefully lacking in formats it supports natively. I wanted one that could read most formats without having to convert them first. Also I wanted one with Eink screen technology as my eBookwise has an LCD screen. And like others I like playing with new gadgets and would probably get some more if I could afford it.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
For my part, my cybook keeps going on holiday to Paris without me (twice this year for a total of 5 months, and counting), so I have a cool-er on standby.....

strange that the cybook has a 'homing' instinct, but as it has twice had to go back to base i was lucky enough to 'borrow' a cool-er, which i am mighty pleased with.
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #11
Avalon
Reader
Avalon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I have a second generation (K2) Kindle, and a Cool-er

Love most everything about the Kindle, but picked up the Cool-er because I can read so many more library books with it. With my voracious reading habit, I think it will pay for itself over a very short period, I think a couple of months.

Nice to have a backup, more flexibility with formats, and yes, the Cool-er is very cute!
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I just have K1. I won't buy a 2nd reader--at least not a dedicated reader. I do want some tablet device for work use--reading and marking up PDFs, academic books etc. But I don't really want a dedicated device for that as I'd like it to do PDA, internet, video etc.

Otherwise, I have no use for multiple devices. I'm a VERY causual/light reader compared to most on this site so the Amazon store, and free public domain book sources like Feedbooks, more than satisfy my mainstream interests.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #13
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
My Kindle is for novels and other regular/smaller sized books.

My DR 1000s is for PDF's and anything large. I have lots of Roleplaying books (D&D style games) in PDF, a lot more even than novels in e-book format.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #14
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I love gadgets! I started reading on my iPaq and loved the idea of having lots of books with me all the time and never finishing a book while waiting for a doctors appointment without having another book ready to start!

As soon as the Cybook Gen3 came out with Mobipocket support I jumped at the chance to read my eBook library on a bigger screen. Then I saw the BeBook and had to give it a try. The Mini was a bonus, I loved the BeBook so much that I was able to convince 10 other people to buy one using my email/coupon code. The good people at BeBook were nice enough to delay my shipment and sent me a free BeBook Mini instead of a 2nd BeBook One. I've been using the Mini the most lately because it's just such a perfect size for sliding into my purse as I head out the door. Now I have my eye on the eSlick for the eReader format, but that will have to wait a bit.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #15
dls81
Enthusiast
dls81 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
I will probably end up with multiple readers... I ordered the BN nook back in October and started getting so frustrated with the hold ups on it that I started researching other readers and ended up ordering the Aluratek Libre instead. I really wanted to the jetbook for the World Factbook and dictionary functions, but couldn't find it anywhere that was reasonably priced and would ship to an FPO address. I think I really want the 6" EZ Reader, however, so once I return to the states in a year I will probably buy that.
dls81 is offline   Reply With Quote