Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 03:43 AM   #1
tomintoul
tomintoul began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Download not authorized (Booken store)

Hi everyone, I'm a new member, although I've been reading the posts here for some time.

I wondered if anyone has purchased ebooks from Bookeen's own book store, ubibooks. I saw it mentioned on their blog and purchased a few titles from them this week for the first time. My payment went through fine. Everything went smoothly for three of the titles, but whenever I try to download the fourth I receive an error message: Download not authorized for this retailer
I've sent them two emails and had no reply, which makes me uneasy about buying any more. Anyone have any experience of them? Maybe they're just slow answering their emails?
tomintoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:47 AM   #2
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Sorry, I've never tried this.
I've had a quick look at the store and did not find anything that interested me, or at a correct price.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
tomintoul

Download not authorised

Thanks for your reply Gaurnim.
So as the error message reads 'Download is not authorized for this retailer' do you think it's safe to assume the problem is at their end, not mine?
I want to purchase some more titles (not from ubibooks though after this) but I don't want to throw money away. This was my first experience of actually buying any, I'd only downloaded free ebooks since I bought my Cybook.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:45 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's definitely a store problem. It's been reported with other retailers, too. Basically means that the MobiPocket DRM server isn't authorised to supply that book to that retailer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:43 AM   #5
tomintoul

Download not authorized

Thanks for your reply, Harry.
I've had my Cybook for about 6 months now, and I've been happy with it, but my pet hate is a company that doesn't respond to emails and I'm not sure now that they deserve customers at all.
We are only talking about a few pounds here, but the fact is that they have debited my credit card for goods I haven't received, and it has left me with a lack of confidence in Bookeen.
I've sent emails now to contact@bookeen.com, contact@ubibooks.com and support@bookeen.com, and received no response whatsoever.
It all just makes me wonder what kind of company we are dealing with.
PS Sorry to start the day by venting my annoyance here, when I know the people on the forums do so much to help those with problems.
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 04:14 AM   #6
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Sadly Bookeen does not have a very good reputation about the quality of their customer support and their general responsiveness here.
A good number of people complained about it here, though the people that are not happy about something are usually more vocal about it than the people that are satisfied.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:30 AM   #7
tomintoul

'... though the people that are not happy about something are usually more vocal about it than the people that are satisfied.'

I think that's spot on, Gaurnim. It seems to be human nature to air our complaints more readily than we air our praises!
Still, thank heavens for forums like these where in the absence of good customer service people can exchange advice. I always feel happier when I find an active forum for something I'm struggling with, so thanks again to the people here.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:04 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since you did make your purchase with a credit card, if Bookeen does not either fix the problem or get back to you soon, you can talk to your credit card company and get them to reverse the charges. Just don't wait more than 30 days.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
tomintoul

Just wanted to add a follow-up with a happy ending, and to give credit where it's due!
I wrote a letter to Bookeen in Paris telling them about my download problem, and pointing out that I had emailed three times and received no response.
Today I received a reply by email apologising for technical issues, and inviting me to choose another title to replace the one I'd paid for, plus an extra title for the inconvenience.
All is forgiven.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:48 AM   #10
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintoul View Post
Just wanted to add a follow-up with a happy ending, and to give credit where it's due!
I wrote a letter to Bookeen in Paris telling them about my download problem, and pointing out that I had emailed three times and received no response.
Today I received a reply by email apologising for technical issues, and inviting me to choose another title to replace the one I'd paid for, plus an extra title for the inconvenience.
All is forgiven.
That's good news !

I find it reassuring that they have apologised and offered an additional title for the inconvenience.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
That's good news !

I find it reassuring that they have apologised and offered an additional title for the inconvenience.
I do not find it reassuring that they did not say that they should fix there email problem. Personally I would value the writing of a paper letter more than a book.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Weird, i had no problem with bookeen and E-mail. I was actually stunned by the fastness with which my screen was replaced.
Maybe writing in french was of some help. (Or me calling them "Hey did you received my mail" ?" ) They need to add an auto-response thing, at least we know we'll dialled the right number.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:29 AM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Weird, i had no problem with bookeen and E-mail. I was actually stunned by the fastness with which my screen was replaced.
Maybe writing in french was of some help. (Or me calling them "Hey did you received my mail" ?" ) They need to add an auto-response thing, at least we know we'll dialled the right number.
The answer time seems to depend on what you email about. If it is something that they have a standard response to you seem to get answer directly. Otherwise they seem often to misplace the email or forget it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The answer time seems to depend on what you email about. If it is something that they have a standard response to you seem to get answer directly. Otherwise they seem often to misplace the email or forget it.
Yup, might be someting like it too.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:17 AM   #15
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's definitely a store problem. It's been reported with other retailers, too. Basically means that the MobiPocket DRM server isn't authorised to supply that book to that retailer.
It happened to me with Fictionwise the other day (with 'The Remorseful Day' by Colin Dexter). I contacted them about it and they're refunding my money. They also said they would withdraw it from sale, but that doesn't seem to have happened yet.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote