Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #46
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Before the Internet some people believed everything they read and everything they saw on TV. Why would the Internet be any different?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #47
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
I like how you've subtly shifted from all infringers to just infringers of ebooks.
I've always here tried to keep the emphasis on books rather than music and movies.

While movie piracy is morally wrong, if it results in lower budget films, I don't see artistic harm. (My favorite movie of recent years was the King's Speech.) But if books with lots of up front research costs can't be produced, or authors are forced to churn out multiple books a year, I do see harm beyond the loss of incomes.

Quote:
In any event, your Google Fu needs work
Yes, I missed that.

Quote:
The link involves a false-accusation, not a false disconnection, but since one leads to the other, I'm sure you'll accept that.
A false accusation, just like a challenged true one, leads to a date with la Commission de protection des droits.

Quote:
There's no point in jumping up and down while screaming, "No one executed for murder is ever innocent!", when the ones you're arguing with think the death penalty itself is abhorrent.
An analogy I like better is taking away the miscreant's gun and replacing it with a bow and arrow. (The bow and arrow, in this case, being 3G service on my Kindle Keyboard )

One concern I have with penalties less than loss of internet service is that the upcoming US alternative, bandwidth throttling, would be a problem for movie downloaders, but slow internet is fine for books.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 08-09-2012 at 09:50 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #48
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
What is your evidence that piracy results in artistic harm to authors? I'd prefer evidence of that before changes to the law are made and a bureaucracy is put in place to enforce it.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #49
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
Interesting. A recent story I particularly liked was the leaked RIAA presentation showing that online music piracy accounts for only a small part of the total, unlike what they've been claiming publicly. Perhaps this "revelation" too will serve to make governments and law makers think again.
Yeah and pigs 'll fly. Would be nice but I think they'll just adjust to factual changes as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Indeed. The LP was the "master" copy and used for nothing else, really.
Exactly this way I remember it too.
Now replace "LP" with "CD" and "tape deck" with "mp3/ogg/FLAC encoding/storage equipment" and we 're home again, ain't we? Even the tantrums and pseudo panic from the companies and agencies is the same tune with new lyrics.

The only reason books were rarely backup copied then was that pbooks were easier repairable than other media carriers and didn't degrade while read like LP or tape due to physical contact with reading unit.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #50
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
So the initial purpose was for them to develop legal content offerings. That would have worked better than the emails, but it would have required some knowledge of economics and marketing.
Well, economics and marketing is not something government is particularly good at. After most of a career spent in government, I can say what government is good at is counting, classifying, and hoarding. Ironically, disbursement of said hoarded material is NOT a skill set government has or could ever get good at.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #51
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Well, economics and marketing is not something government is particularly good at. After most of a career spent in government, I can say what government is good at is counting, classifying, and hoarding. Ironically, disbursement of said hoarded material is NOT a skill set government has or could ever get good at.
But now they are faced with the possibility of budget cuts. Maybe it motivates Hadopi to do their jobs.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote