Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Nook Color Cnet and PC Mag review

both give it a solid review,

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371554,00.asp

http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade...carouselMain.0
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
cybrdmn
cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nookcolor
Here's another review:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...5&pageNumber=1
cybrdmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
mindgnat
mindgnat began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook
First, don't believe everything the web reviewers write. Often, they don't own the device nor do they bother to check whether the marketing assertions are true. For example, are their "thousands of ebooks available" for the Nook? Go check the bn site and see. I couldn't find anywhere on that site where there were even hundreds available.

Then there's customer service - another neglected reviewer topic. The Nook customer service is terrible. You can't get through on the phone and they simply cut/paste replies from the FAQ without reading your email so it's useless.

Wireless - try this: Go into a bn store and find the Nook display. Ask the salesperson to let you try the device. Open up a web browser and navigate to a video site. Play one. I've tried this and what I find is that the Nook wireless is simply not fast enough to stream a video. It will play them but they are only usable if they loaded onto the device.

My advice: Sort the reviews so that you can read the worst ones first. That usually gives you a pretty good perspective so you can sort out the bs in the good reviews.
mindgnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
mindgnat
mindgnat began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook
Most informative color nook review I've found

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/nook-color.html
mindgnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
dschoemaker
Reading Fool
dschoemaker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, 2x Nook Color, NST, IPad 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindgnat View Post
First, don't believe everything the web reviewers write. .. For example, are their "thousands of ebooks available" for the Nook? Go check the bn site and see. I couldn't find anywhere on that site where there were even hundreds available.
You sure you have a Nook? I've certainly never counted, but there are easily "thousands" of ebooks available for the Nook.

I usually don't quote/reply, but this struck me as a little off the mark.
dschoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
For example, are their "thousands of ebooks available" for the Nook? Go check the bn site and see. I couldn't find anywhere on that site where there were even hundreds available.
Then you aren't paying attention. If you took a look at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/index.asp, you would see the banner

Welcome to the NOOKbook Store
The World’s Largest eBook Store with over 2 Million eBooks!
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmwrite View Post
Then you aren't paying attention. If you took a look at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/index.asp, you would see the banner

Welcome to the NOOKbook Store
The World’s Largest eBook Store with over 2 Million eBooks!
heh, I was going to point that out... seriously any ereader that can handle epub, mobi, etc. has at least thousands of books potentially available for it...

threadromancer == epic phail
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
daved23
daved23 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:

Wireless - try this: Go into a bn store and find the Nook display. Ask the salesperson to let you try the device. Open up a web browser and navigate to a video site. Play one. I've tried this and what I find is that the Nook wireless is simply not fast enough to stream a video. It will play them but they are only usable if they loaded onto the device.
This has more to do with the wireless connection at the store than the Nook's ability to play video. I'm able to play videos just fine at home using my wireless connection.
daved23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by daved23 View Post
This has more to do with the wireless connection at the store than the Nook's ability to play video. I'm able to play videos just fine at home using my wireless connection.
and also the fact that the nook color with android 2.1 does not support Flash Video.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:37 AM   #10
kblair210
Enthusiast
kblair210 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
For example, are their "thousands of ebooks available" for the Nook? Go check the bn site and see. I couldn't find anywhere on that site where there were even hundreds available.
1. B&N Store
2. Libraries
3. Gutenberg
4. Calibre

dir *.epub /s
Total Files Listed: 8378 File(s)

I'm pretty sure that counts as thousands and that's one individual.

Quote:
Then there's customer service - another neglected reviewer topic. The Nook customer service is terrible. You can't get through on the phone and they simply cut/paste replies from the FAQ without reading your email so it's useless.
When you can walk into an Amazon store and ask an associate about your eReader, get back to us.

Quote:
A basic understanding of wireless networking would help you here.

The NookColor deserves its high ratings. In a NookColor forum you're not likely to get many people disagreeing with good reviews for their reader.
kblair210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
I just picked up the Nook Color yesterday. I have to agree that the video streaming is not good. When I went to the web browser, it already had YouTube bookmarked as a favorite. Tried 3 different videos and they all failed to play. Odd that they would go to the trouble to bookmark YouTube if the NC can't handle them. And this is at home on my wireless router, not the B&N store.

Other than that, I really like the NC. Didn't buy it for videos anyway, just wanted to check out there other capabilities. And yeah, tons of ebooks are certainly available, especially if you dont limit your count to what is available on B&N. And it would be nice if the MobileRead ebooks area beefed up its epub offerings..... I've gotten quite a few ebooks formatted for the Sony there, but a lot of those titles are still not available in epub versions. At least I've got Calibre for doing my own conversions.
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #12
robert23
robert23 began at the beginning.

I have been satisfied with YouTube streaming with my wireless router and a 4 Mbps internet connection (NC is rooted with the YouTube app installed).
robert23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #13
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Youtube plays very well on my Nookcolor, but then again I understand that it DOES NOT PLAY flash..
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
DaveW
DaveW began at the beginning.

Video Speed

I have an "N" type router and a 20mbs cable internet connection. No problems with video including YouTube so I believe vid problems are wifi problems, not the capiblility of the Nook Color. Now if we just get Flash.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
My home internet connection is stupid fast, the NC has no problem streaming video at all for me.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote