Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #121
Novo
Enthusiast
Novo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
After updating to 5.0.4 and reinstalling the jailbreak and the GUI Launcher, the launcher only detect one or two folders in "extensions".
Why it does not detect all my extensions?
Novo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #122
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I dont know. try reinstalling launcher. did you delete them.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:15 AM   #123
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Why did you reinstall JB and Launcher? Mine kept everything from 5.0.3 to 5.0.4
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:32 AM   #124
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novo View Post
After updating to 5.0.4 and reinstalling the jailbreak and the GUI Launcher, the launcher only detect one or two folders in "extensions".
Why it does not detect all my extensions?
same thing happened to me once( except I didn't reinstall jb, hacks and didn't update to 5.04 yet) I suppose what fixed this for me is a factory reset ( menu> settings> menu> Reset to Factory Defaults) ( of course take a backup of your files before)

Last edited by thomass; 03-07-2012 at 02:34 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #125
Novo
Enthusiast
Novo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Is it possible to add a launcher Menu as a "book" in the collections list instead of Options Menu?
Any Idea?
Novo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #126
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
It *might* be possible to write a Kindlet that does nothing but invoke the launcher menu, but I doubt that it's really straightforward. And honestly, I don't think it's worth the effort, for saving a single click.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #127
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Updated for firmware 5.1.0

Hiya,

I have updated this to work with firmware 5.1.0.

I removed some of the previous functionality which has now become obsolete, so the bare-bones installation only offers usbnetwork toggle. I verified this to still be working. Other extensions should continue to work, but I'm not giving any guarantees.

I'm calling this version 1.1.0, and it's available here. Note that this version is ONLY for firmware 5.1.0 (or possibly newer). This version doesn't work on older firmwares, just like older launcher versions don't work on newer firmwares.

PS: It seems like with firmware 5.1.0, Amazon has unfortunately returned to their practice of aggressively obfuscating java code. This makes it a pain in the ass to understand what is going on -- but of course it doesn't prevent it. I don't understand this short-sighted decision. I personally think that we have come up with quite a few enhancements which make the Kindle more useful and interesting to users. Now it seems like Amazon is again determined to stifle evolution. Ah, whatever, I guess some people never learn.

PPS: If someone at Amazon reads this: I mean it. People enjoy open systems, developers and users alike. By trying to lock people in, you're only locking yourself out from opportunities.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #128
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I have updated this to work with firmware 5.1.0.
Thanks ixtab for this. It works on 5.1.0 BUT:
SORRY for throwing another problem in this thread but it seems you are right... after a visit to a submenu inside Launcher, if you try to open it again, there are no submenus!!! One has to restart framework to view them again!!!
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #129
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
Thanks ixtab for this. It works on 5.1.0 BUT:
SORRY for throwing another problem in this thread but it seems you are right...
I never said anything regarding submenus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
after a visit to a submenu inside Launcher, if you try to open it again, there are no submenus!!! One has to restart framework to view them again!!!
It must be a problem with the specific extension (which one are you talking about?). For instance, WPA-EAP, which uses (1-level) submenus, continues to work without any problems.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #130
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
It must be a problem with the specific extension (which one are you talking about?). For instance, WPA-EAP, which uses (1-level) submenus, continues to work without any problems.
All menus that have submenu have this issue on my KT... for instance, WaffleTodos, even orientation (I know it's no longer needed for 5.1.0 but anyways!)
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #131
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
@ixtab: mind sharing the source? If yifanlu is OK with this upload I may add my changes to enable third kind of "menu item" there, just like I did for Launcher 1.0.
For more see https://github.com/JustAMan/KindleLauncher
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #132
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAMan View Post
@ixtab: mind sharing the source? If yifanlu is OK with this upload I may add my changes to enable third kind of "menu item" there, just like I did for Launcher 1.0.
Most of yifanlu's stuff is GPL, so not only does than make uploading your changes acceptable, but actually *required* if you distribute your changes.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #133
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
PPS: If someone at Amazon reads this: I mean it. People enjoy open systems, developers and users alike. By trying to lock people in, you're only locking yourself out from opportunities.
You need a stronger argument than that to counter the two most common mindsets of the corporate mind:

1 - The "NIH syndrome" (Not Invented Here).
2 - The "VEPP syndrome" (Value Equals Price Paid).

And unfortunately, #1 is closer to being a personality disorder of the corporate mind, not subject to facts and/or logic rather than a logically arrived at business decision.

Lots of valuable examples and logical arguments can be made to counter #2, but that is hardly worth the effort until you can counter #1.

So as long as humans are running Amazon (and many, many other corporations) it will take someone who owns enough stock to make the humans in charge to change their ways.
(The corporate person responds best to financial force.)

Last edited by knc1; 04-13-2012 at 08:16 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #134
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAMan View Post
The sources are the ones from yifanlu, I did not alter his classes in any way.

I only removed the orientation thingy and the loop-mount of can't-remember-which config file, rewrote the installer/uninstaller (both available in the src/ directory), and (most importantly) included the "vector" class which loads the launcher into the home screen. But the latter is binary bytecode edits, so no "sources" either...
Old 04-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #135
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I removed some of the previous functionality which has now become obsolete, so the bare-bones installation only offers usbnetwork toggle.
You should leave the orientation toggle in the launcher as the original firmware only supports Landscape Right and some people would prefer Landscape Left or just for the sake of it. :P

However, as Cscat said, items within submenus appear only the first time they are opened. After that you need to restart the framework in order for them to appear again.
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks