Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
irishred
irishred began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Classic Nook, SN 1002, F 1.43 rooting

I really would like to have my books in folders instead of going from page to page to find a book. Shelves to me is a joke. I really could use a simple rooting solution. I've read that I can root my nook because the serial number is 1002 but I have firmware 1.43 which I would have to go to 1.40 - 1.7 section on Nookdevs. I do have some tech knowledge but am afraid I will screw up somehow. I'm desperate enough to try it. Is there a nice easy to understand rooting instructions without me possibly ruining my nook. Thanks. By the way, my nook seems to reboot at times and when I do, it deletes all of the latest firmwares.
irishred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:07 AM   #2
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
whatever you do, back up your Nook before you attempt an 'upgrade'
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:21 AM   #3
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
If you do a reset factory settings, on which FW do you land ? I have to go for the day out now, I will be back in approx. 5 hours, I can then give you a hand but I need to know what is your "factory" FW.
If I do a factory reset, I land at 1.0 (I have one of the first classic nooks).
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
irishred

Reset FW to 1.4.3

I reset my nook and it has gone to 1.4.3. Sorry I received your email rather late in the day. Thanks for helping me.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #5
irishred

I haven't registered my nook. I also have a sd 32gb card which is filled up to 28gb. I put nothing on the internal because several times my nook would automatically reboot and erase all my books. I don't know if this information is important or not.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You should be able to do the softroot exactly as described here http://nookdevs.com/Softroot. Please follow this page, you do not need the other softrooting. It means you will first downgrade to 1.0, then upgrade to the nookdevs rom 2.5.1, which should show as 1.5.0 in your nook. Afterwards your nook will probably upgrade on its own to 1.7.0, which is the current fw, and you can let it do it, you will stay rooted.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
irishred

I follow nookdevs instructions then I get to number 7.
7. Press and hold the "<" button on the right side of the nook, and then press and release the power button, while continuing to hold the "<" button.
It only gets to verifing update and only a little is shown that it is verifying and it shuts down and restart on it own after I release < button. Then I held down < botton for a long time and then it just keep repeating the verifying update, shut down and start up several times all the while the <button down. If that is correct, how long should I hold down <? the longest I held that button is 3 minutes. Would appreciate someone telling me what I'm doing wrong. if i get to number 8, is rebooting the nook by pressing the power button down for 8 to 10 seconds? Thanks.

8. You can release "<" once a screen appears indicating that your device is updating. Wait through the entire process and when you see a launcher screen, reboot once more.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
You should be able to do the softroot exactly as described here http://nookdevs.com/Softroot. Please follow this page, you do not need the other softrooting. It means you will first downgrade to 1.0, then upgrade to the nookdevs rom 2.5.1, which should show as 1.5.0 in your nook. Afterwards your nook will probably upgrade on its own to 1.7.0, which is the current fw, and you can let it do it, you will stay rooted.
Unless something has changed and i don't know about it, if your Nook updates to 1.7 you will lose root. You will have to re-root it and it is not as simple as it used to be.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
irishred

Well I got the nookdevs 2.5.1 to install but now it says invalid update and although I got it down to 1.0 there are no other updates in my settings.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
irishred

tried rooting just can't get it done right.

I rooted it to 1.0 but it wouldn't take the update nookdevs update 2.5.1. It did at first but then mentioned invalid update and it never showed in my settings. I deleted it out of my sd card and download the update again, tried to install it several times. I give up. Spent many hours on it. now I have to reinstalled the firmwares that I deleted. Do I have install in order like 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc.?
Old 08-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #11
aceflor
Wizard

no, you can let it upgrade on its own. I don't understand why 2.5.1 did not work though...did you make sure to rename it to just bravo_update.dat, without numbers ?

@rdfry: mine went from 2.5.1 to 1.7 by normal upgrade, and did not lose the root.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #12
irishred

Yes i renamed the file from nookdevs. when i installed it the first time, it did take, nook called it invalid update. But when I reboot, there were no 1.50 in the settings just 1.0.0. so I deleted it from the sd card, download the 2.5.1 again and redid the steps several times. It didn't take.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
no, you can let it upgrade on its own. I don't understand why 2.5.1 did not work though...did you make sure to rename it to just bravo_update.dat, without numbers ?

@rdfry: mine went from 2.5.1 to 1.7 by normal upgrade, and did not lose the root.
Well that is weird because the B&N update is a non rooted update and should unroot your device.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote