Recommend a new fantasy series for my Sony 505

I love authors like

Brooks
Jordan
Eddings
Tolkien
Rowling
etc...

Please recommend me another series or author to try. It would be even better if they were free, but I will definitely pay for good books.

Thanks in advance.
abeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:14 AM   #2
dcross9818
Enthusiast
dcross9818 doesn't litterdcross9818 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-350, Kobo Aura, Kindle PW2, Voyage (broke), Oasis
I'm currently re-reading the Drizzt Do'Urden books by R. A. Salvatore which I think are excellent. Chronologic the Dark Elf Trilogy comes first (Homeland, Exile, Sojourn.) The first three written was the Icewind Dale Trilogy (The Crystal Shard, Streams of Silver, The Halfling's Gem.)

Let me know what you think

---dcross9818
dcross9818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:34 AM   #3
perost
Enthusiast
perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
If you haven't already, take a look at Baen's store which deals mostly in fantasy and science fiction books. They have a free library where you can download some of their books for free, and all of their books are also DRM-free. I can recommend The Deeds of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. Sheepfarmer's Daughter, the first book in the series, is available for free in their library.
perost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:15 AM   #4
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
A song of ice and fire by G.R.R. Martin, everyone (well 3 persons) I recommended it to liked it.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Wrong forum for this, but I'll forgive you

Check out The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. It was just released about a week ago. And it's epic in every sense of the word. My iPad copy is 1038 vertical "pages" long, so it'll keep you busy for a while with the HC being 1008 =)
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I know it's geared more for young adults, but I am enjoying the Pendragon series. I got the first one free from Sony, but that was a long time ago, and it got me reading more in the series. I think I'm on the 4th book in the series.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Ok, here is a rec. It is the Firestaff Chronicles by James Galloway (aka Fel). It is free and can be found here:

http://sennadar.com/oldsite/

A further link for d/l of the whole books instead of by chapter is here:

http://sennadar.com/oldsite/downloads.htm
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:14 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by perost View Post
I can recommend The Deeds of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
A song of ice and fire by G.R.R. Martin, everyone (well 3 persons) I recommended it to liked it.
Both very good.

Steven Erikson and Ian Cameron Esslemont's Malazan series is pretty good too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:00 AM   #9
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Ok, here is a rec. It is the Firestaff Chronicles by James Galloway (aka Fel). It is free and can be found here:

http://sennadar.com/oldsite/

A further link for d/l of the whole books instead of by chapter is here:

http://sennadar.com/oldsite/downloads.htm
Thanks
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
I just started reading that series and really enjoyed the first book. However, after looking into it, it seems like the author is in no hurry to finish that series. I think the last book in the series was published in 2005 and there are still 3 more books planned in the series. Just a bit of warning.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Have you tried reading the "His Dark Materials" series from Philip Pullman? It's very good.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
I can recommend The Deeds of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. Sheepfarmer's Daughter, the first book in the series, is available for free in their library.
This is a good series, the first one a bit slow but the following two very good.
I'm currently reading "The legacy of Gird" by the same author which explains a lot of stuff coming into play in The Deeds of Paksenarrion.

She's also writing two sequels to the Paks-series where one is currently out:
Oath of Fealty
Kings of the North is coming out March 22, 2011.

For more info about the Paks-series see:
http://www.elizabethmoon.com/books-paksworld.html

Sheepfarmers daughter was a book club read for July 2010:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88357

Last edited by thinkpad; 09-07-2010 at 11:51 AM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If you haven't already, take a look at Baen's store which deals mostly in fantasy and science fiction books. They have a free library where you can download some of their books for free, and all of their books are also DRM-free. I can recommend The Deeds of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. Sheepfarmer's Daughter, the first book in the series, is available for free in their library.
The Sheepfarmer's Daughter turned out to be a rather dull book with not much happening.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Wrong forum for this, but I'll forgive you

Check out The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. It was just released about a week ago. And it's epic in every sense of the word. My iPad copy is 1038 vertical "pages" long, so it'll keep you busy for a while with the HC being 1008 =)
But you did forget to mention that it is book 1 of a series with the other book(s) not yet out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Check out The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.
I was just going to say this. They say this is the next big thing

Check this too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braided_Path The books were released as ePubs just two weeks ago. Only available from WHSmith and Waterstones as of now.

And read Moorcock. I can't say this enough. Read Moorcock. Start from Dancers at the End of Time or Elric. I recommend Dancers.

Last edited by GERGE; 09-07-2010 at 01:03 PM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote