Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #31
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron;

Anyway, Comicbooklover should be available for iPad very soon, so it's a moot point...
You do know comicbooklovers developer has been banned from the AppStore for a year. So lots of months to wait yet,

Cloudreader is actually becoming my favourite comic reader!

edit - sorry wrong comic app! It isn't cbl which has been banned

Last edited by stustaff; 06-04-2010 at 01:12 PM.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #32
newrome
newrome began at the beginning.

Device: ipod Touch
I agree with da_jane. After working with some of my epubs with complicated formatting, it appears that Stanza's epub rendering engine is substandard. iBooks is superior.
newrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #33
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by newrome View Post
Iit appears that Stanza's epub rendering engine is substandard.
In what way? (Not being argumentative, just want information)
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #34
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Interesting-Calibre for iPad seems to support custom typefaces-that is, all the ones that are on the iPad already.

edit: hmmm...then I try to override it using Stanza's built in font..and now cant revert back.

Last edited by kjk; 06-04-2010 at 09:46 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #35
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
links are not working in epub books
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Stanza has always been substandard. I'm very surprised so many people seem to love it even though it's not very good.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #37
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Stanza has always been substandard. I'm very surprised so many people seem to love it even though it's not very good.
Well, I can't vouch for your needs, but Stanza has been the best IMHO. And from all I've read on this and it her forums, I'm nit alone in that opinion.

I love the connections to fictionwise, Baen, Calibre, ManyBooks, and lots more.

I like the controls for reading, dimming screen, night mode, tap etc.

On the iPad, I like iBooks better for reading, but Stanza still has the connections to my book sources and reads quite well. Better, IMHO than any of the other readers to date.

If there are pub features that aren't supported they are irrelevant to the books I read

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:07 AM   #38
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I personally don't like reading in iBooks solely because it has no night mode. Any other features were irrelevant to me since I don't like reading black text on white background on LCD devices.

I personally don't like reading in txtr because it has no night mode and the margins are handled in a manner that leads to too few words per page, and because the font sizes were not workable for me.

I personally found readMe on the iPad to be acceptable for fiction because it had night mode and I was able find font size settings that worked for me. It was not acceptable for technical books because bugs in the rendering engine did not render any further pages after images in some cases that I ran into consistently.

I personally find Stanza on the iPad with the update to be outstanding because:
  • It has a night mode
  • I am able to read text in technical books which have images successfully
  • I am able to change the brightness of the font by sliding my finger up or down the page
  • I can integrate with Calibre and O'Reilly books
  • I can open books from Safari, or other applications.

I don't really care about whether programs have support for @font-face or not, since I usually prefer to change to whatever font is easiest to read, so that is irrelevant to me. I think it would be good if the renderer supported links, but that scenario has not come up yet for me.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:36 AM   #39
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiru View Post
links are not working in epub books
Links to external destinations? Internal?
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:50 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
In what way? (Not being argumentative, just want information)
It only supports very simple formatting instructions. Anything at all complex, it simply ignores. That means that many books look "wrong" in Stanza.

Yes, Stanza is great when it comes to customisation of the app itself but, at the end of the day, reading is all about the experience of reading, and Stanza just doesn't provide a very good reading experience.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:53 AM   #41
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It only supports very simple formatting instructions. Anything at all complex, it simply ignores. That means that many books look "wrong" in Stanza.

Yes, Stanza is great when it comes to customisation of the app itself but, at the end of the day, reading is all about the experience of reading, and Stanza just doesn't provide a very good reading experience.

My main selling point for stanza was the ability to connect to calibre server for my books. However now Kovid has added the iPad to calibre as a recognized device for USB transfer. I may give iBooks another go.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:41 AM   #42
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
You do know comicbooklovers developer has been banned from the AppStore for a year. So lots of months to wait yet,

Cloudreader is actually becoming my favourite comic reader!

edit - sorry wrong comic app! It isn't cbl which has been banned
Wow I broke a sweat reading your message - then I catched your edit...
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:40 AM   #43
illitrate
illitrate began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
comic reader mobi is the one that got banned
i'm also unable to get Stanza to accept .cbr files. .cbz seem to be an unsupported format
a shame, because i've yet to find a perfect reader for comic books and i was hoping Stanza might provide a nice simple solution
illitrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:41 AM   #44
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
Wow I broke a sweat reading your message - then I catched your edit...
however having now tried CBL if the iPad app is anything like the iPhone version then it's much worse than comiczeal4 and cloud reader.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:37 AM   #45
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
Links to external destinations? Internal?
Internal links. Like if you download any magazine from clibre , menus are not working.
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, stanza