Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Kobo crashed

When I tried to turn on my Kobo Ara HD it started to reinitialize for no good reason. It continued to do so for a while so I tried to restarting it with the pin-hole button. This blanked the screen and further tries just made the power light blink. I then tried restarting by holding in the power slider combined with then pressing the light button. This made it reinitialize but maybe there wasn't enough power left because it froze and the powerlight shut off. I tried the pin-hole again and again a blank screen. Plugging in a USB cable just makes the power light come on, the screen blinks, then the power light turns off. Can this be a result of the new update? I installed it and everything seemed fine. Any other tips on how to start it up? Is it possible to open and unattach and reattach the battery maybe?
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Unfortunately the Aura HD has a design flaw in that simply pressing the light and power buttons together will activate the full reset.

It sounds like you're in a similar situation I was in when I accidentally activated the full reset on a flat battery. I did eventually manage to get it charged up enough to reactivate the full reset and have it run to completion, unfortunately I didn't keep a record of every step I took.

I was trying various combinations of plugged/unplugged, pinhole reset and force power off (hold slider across for ~15 seconds).

I'm not sure when it was charging as it never indicated, but the last few steps I took were:
Quote:
I tried a full reset, no sign of anything.

I plugged it into USB, for some reason the LED came on this time. Left it for four more hours (I couldn't tell if it was charging, but LED stayed on all that time).

With it still plugged in (and lit up) I tried the full reset, nothing happened.

I held down the power button for a few seconds to turn it off normally, light remained on. Tried a full reset again, nothing happened.

Holding the power button down for longer for a forced shutdown made the light go out. With it still plugged in trying a full reset caused the LED to flash slowly a couple of times, then rapidly then the restoring screen came up and ran to completion.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Not sure I would call the two button press a design flaw, rather its an important feature that allows the easy recovery of the device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
And it should only happen when the device is powered off.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:11 AM   #5
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried charging it but even when I tried a regular charger the power-light just blinks on and then off, darn.
Advert
Old 03-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
I tried charging it but even when I tried a regular charger the power-light just blinks on and then off, darn.
That is normal behaviour when it's not buggered, so it may well be charging.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:04 AM   #7
owly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
That is normal behaviour when it's not buggered, so it may well be charging.
Thanks! Didn't know that. There may be hope yet :-)
Old 03-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
owly
Guru

Yes! After getting it loaded I was able to restore it :-)
Old 03-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
So glad to hear it!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh no. Mine is frozen on the "connected and charging" screen. I most definitely did click eject before I unplugged it, and it was fully charged. I haven't tried the pinhole reset, yet. I'll give it a while longer.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #11
EndlessWaves
Zealot

Did you load any new books on it? It'll do that on some MOBI files it has trouble with instead of failing gracefully.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I did load a new book. One I just got from Amazon and converted. The same book gave me a little trouble on my Glo. But the book has no problems in it, according to the "run check" function of Edit Book in Calibre.

Well the paperclip did the trick! Didn't even have to reload anything. The book in question opens fine, too.

Last edited by booklover6; 03-26-2014 at 10:23 AM.