Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #31
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Try resetting the device with a paperclip
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #32
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Are you sure you named the files correctly? Calibre should be able to see the database. Check to ensure that the database is about 100 megs. It is possible that you turned it on after formatting and it created an empty database file.

Tim
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #33
panzer
panzer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
Are you sure you named the files correctly? Calibre should be able to see the database. Check to ensure that the database is about 100 megs. It is possible that you turned it on after formatting and it created an empty database file.

Tim
Calibre can see the database. I can even add books without problem in my kobo reader. But when I unplug the usb cable or turn off/on the kobo, it still shows me there is no book found!!!
And yes, "KoboReader.sqlite" (about 98MB) is in .kobo directory.
I really don't know what to do now...?
panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #34
timlegge
Addict

So in calibre you do not see any books listed?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #35
panzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
So in calibre you do not see any books listed?
YES, in calibre I do see books listed.
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #36
panzer

Just want to let you know I fixed my problem!
Installing the Sqlite database is not enough. I had to re-install the firmware (v.1.4) and my kobo is now back alive!
I followed these steps to install the firmware: http://bordersau.zendesk.com/entries...am-using-linux
Old 11-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #37
timlegge
Addict

Glad to hear ir
Old 11-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #38
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Tried to send a book to my wireless Kobo today using Calibre and got this error message:

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 68, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 310, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 167, in books
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

Before I do anything I wanted to check that resetting the Kobo to the factory default state (using the instructions given above) is what I should do to fix it.

Joyful
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #39
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
Tried to send a book to my wireless Kobo today using Calibre and got this error message:

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 68, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 310, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 167, in books
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

Before I do anything I wanted to check that resetting the Kobo to the factory default state (using the instructions given above) is what I should do to fix it.

Joyful
For the wifi version you can do the factory reset from the setting manual I believe.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #40
anagel
anagel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRST-1, PRST-2, PRST-3, Nook, Samsung Galaxy tab, Kobo first gen
Hi I am having trouble with my Kobo. I started having "error connecting to device" when connecting to Calibre. It is the malfunction error. I tried factory reset but the problem is still there. I then tried to follow the instructions to remove Sqlite. Almost got it all done BUT when trying to delete the images folder...it wouldn't let me! In frustration I renamed the images folder so I could copy the images folder from the pristine?? zip file --- CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS WILL WORK? sorry with the caps...just want that line to be noticed ... not yelling... thanks for any help...
anagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #41
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
If you can't delete the folder, you probably can't replace it with the new copy. There is probably a problem with the directory or file permissions. On my Kobo, using the the Linux file browser, only the directory owner (me, not root) has any permission to do anything. If you are using Windows, you can still check the permissions - but I can't remember how, offhand. If you login to Windows as the computer owner, you will probably be able to delete the images directory.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #42
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
It also might be that you have something pointing to that folder (a Windows explorer window for example, or a DOS cmd shell) or a file open for editing in that folder or one lower in the hierarchy. Try closing all other windows (if you're using Windows), and make sure that folder is not open in your current window, before deleting it. Try disconnecting (safely remove or eject) then re-connect it to clean out all locks.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #43
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
1.8 version Db replacement instructions

Please note: unlike 1.4 in 1.8 you will replace 3 things: the entire images directory, kepub directory, and database.

JCKobo posted this elsewhere, but it should probably go here, as well:

Quote:
Dear MRers,
We have a brand new, clean database for those of you who have upgraded to 1.8 and either a) are having problems post upgrade, or b) want dictionary functionality in the pre-loaded books (as this will upgrade your books to our new format, which the firmware update will not)

The steps for installing this update (as well as the caveats) are the same as in the sticky posted in this forum, except that the download link is different.

You can get it here: http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...tabase-1.8.zip

For those of you who are more Linux savvy, or want to follow timlegge's instructions on creating SD cards, we have a link to the SD card image for this software as well.

You can download this from here:
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...estore-1.8.tgz

This will literally reformat your device, so make sure you have anything you want off the device first.

I hope this helps with your 1.8 experience.

Last edited by taming; 12-21-2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: links fixed
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #44
anagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by anagel View Post
Hi I am having trouble with my Kobo. I started having "error connecting to device" when connecting to Calibre. It is the malfunction error. I tried factory reset but the problem is still there. I then tried to follow the instructions to remove Sqlite. Almost got it all done BUT when trying to delete the images folder...it wouldn't let me! In frustration I renamed the images folder so I could copy the images folder from the pristine?? zip file --- CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS WILL WORK? sorry with the caps...just want that line to be noticed ... not yelling... thanks for any help...
Thanks for all the info... I was able to delete the images folder later. Renaming the folder did actually work. there must have been a corrupt file somewhere because i went into all the folders on the kobo directory and deleted all the books (some I know I deleted through Calibre and didn't show on the device but there were still some files in the kobo directory). I was able to go back in later and delete the old images folder.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #45
anagel

Smile 1.4 is the non-wireless kobo firmware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Please note: unlike 1.4 in 1.8 you will replace 3 things: the entire images directory, kepub directory, and database.

JCKobo posted this elsewhere, but it should probably go here, as well:
When you posted this are you referring to the nonwireless kobo...1.4 firmware? and then does this mean the 1.8 is the wireless kobo firmware? Can you download the 1.8 firmware on the nonwireless kobo? Thanks for this great info...

Tags
database, kobo, recovery