Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-05-2008, 02:31 AM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Second Thoughts...

I was all set on the new PRS-700. I placed my order about a week ago and eagerly awaited its arrival in a couple of weeks.

But then, I started to read about the dimmer, less crisp than the PRS-505 screen. Tonight, I went to Borders, to take a look at it (I almost never shop at stores anymore, but buy everything online.)

Borders didn't have the 700, but let me play with a fairly worn out 505. After playing with it for a while and comparing it to a real book, I thought I can live with the grayish background. Not sure I can live with it, if it was much dimmer or grayer, as it appears on the 700 in the pictures posted in the PRS-700 sub-forum.

But the more I looked at the screen, the more I felt that the screen is a bit too small. How come more products don't go a little bigger?

I've read about the Iliad, but it seems slow, plus I really don't like the idea of trading battery life for note-taking abilities. iPhone-like control for page flipping sounds great, but this Wacom dedicated-pen thing is wasted on me. Wish they made an 8" device without the Wacom feature.

So, I am not sure what I am going to do. Really want an ebook reader, but none fill me with warm and fuzzy feelings.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:13 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Simply put, it's the fact that the cost of the display is a major proportion, even majority of the cost of the whole device, so a larger screen area would increase the device cost significantly.

As for the reading experience, for normal leisure reading it's not a problem - for graphics, etc, yes, bigger would be better, but compare the price of the Illiad to the Sony/Cybook - it's not the touchpad that's the real cost incrementer there.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2008, 04:21 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Another factor to consider is portability. One of the reasons I sold my iLiad and replaced it with a CyBook Gen3 (which uses the same screen as the Sony) was the fact that I found the iLiad too large to carry around with me everywhere, as I do the CyBook (and the Sony I owned previously). For me personally, 6" devices like the Sony are the perfect size for reading fiction.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:35 AM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am kind of flailing:-)

At this point, I am keeping my 700 order, we'll see when it comes.

But I just noticed, that the iRex 1000 does NOT have the Wacom feature, and it has a larger screen. Portability is not all that important for me, since I read mostly in bed:-)

But what I wonder is, if the iRex 1000 doesn't have the Wacom screen, shouldn't its battery life increase dramatically? If it did, it may be the one for me.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:38 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not necessarily. On the iLiad, the touch screen only powers up when you remove the stylus from its holder. The 10-15h battery life quoted for the iLiad is with infrequent use of the stylus. Use it a lot and the battery life will halve.
Advert
Old 11-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
Sonist
Apeist

You are right, Harry. I just got a response to my battery-life question from iRex, and it seems like the 1000 gets about 7 hours per charge. This would be fine for business, but not fine for me, since I really am looking for a paper book replacement.

I'll just keep my 700 order and see if what it looks like when it comes. If its dim and fuzzy, it will go back where it came from.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:23 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

One thing that eInk screens certainly are not is "fuzzy". The image is absolute "pin sharp".