Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #16
mattgb
mattgb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No, my point isn't that the ebook files are usless... but that they are freely obtainable. So, basically Sony is giving each school a 25¢ cd.
They aren't even doing that the article implies they will have to download the classics!

However the first 100 schools who `start downloading their classics` will apparently get 5 free readers - so its not all smokes and mirrors.

Smoke and mirrors even; although hey both are good
mattgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Well, after a bit more investigation, I found this.

Quote:
Consumers also can get in on the Reader Revolution and donate eBook libraries to a school of their choice by visiting Sony.com/Reader and completing a short online demonstration of the Sony Reader product. In addition to the eBook libraries, the first 100 schools to begin downloading their eBook classics will receive an education pack of five Sony Reader Digital Books.
That's really good but...

Quote:
Sony’s goal is to provide 150,000 eBook libraries, or 15 million eBook classics, to schools and learning institutions nationwide.
So only 100 schools out of ??? will get readers.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgb View Post
However the first 100 schools who `start downloading their classics` will apparently get 5 free readers - so its not all smokes and mirrors.

Smoke and mirrors even; although hey both are good
Ok, that's much better. At least they are giving away 500 readers.

How does a school get on the list to sign up to be a recipient? What is the pecking order... is it first come/signed up, first served.

BOB
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #19
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
...for every page he turns, Sony will donate one eBook classics library, consisting of 100 titles, to a U.S. school, with the goal of donating 150,000 libraries, or 15 million books.
This just doesn't make sense (as many of you have already pointed out). If Sony wanted to spread those books, all they had to do was offer a download link to the libraries. In the digital age, there is nothing special about distributing "15 million books" - IF we are talking about e-books.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #20
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
How may I apply for this job?
In three simple steps:
1. read the original article
2. go to New York
3. stand in the queue to be his "relief reader"
According to the original article any passer by can fill in for David while David sleeps, eats, goes to toilet, ....

And while you are reading instead him, you can donate 1000 classics to 10 schools from our mobileread library for each page turned
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #21
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I probably should have mentioned it; there is a press release attached to the first post explaining the give-away in more detail.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #22
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I know there is a lot of discussion about whether this promotion has any substance behind it, but I wonder if having a speed reader doing the reading might be a way to highlight new technology? Assuming that he is really reading 14 hours a day (Despite the hype, he obviously can't read 24 hours a day for 30 days... we need to allow time for sleep, eating, bathroom breaks, etc.), he will have to read a page every 10 seconds or so to make the 150,000 page goal. I wonder if he is going to be reading on a 505 or perhaps a new device with a faster refresh?

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #23
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Will there be a test at the end to make sure he *really* read any of the books?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #24
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
...he will have to read a page every 10 seconds or so to make the 150,000 page goal. I wonder if he is going to be reading on a 505 or perhaps a new device with a faster refresh?
Good point, Bill. Remember, on the 2nd of October Sony is going to "revolutionize" e-book reading, and most of us assume it has to do with the introduction of a new e-book reader. Maybe David Farrow will first read from a 505 (on October 1st), and then the following day from a new device. Or perhaps his 505 is turbo-charged, doing twice as fast screen refreshes than normal?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #25
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by jljones View Post
I expect they really wanted David Blaine hanging upside down reading from a PRS505.
Not enough Danger involved for Blaine. NOW....if Sony had offered to have him read while he was upside down in a tank of water.... (the danger would come in when he goes to recharge the reader)

I'm curious to know how they're going to "track" how many pages have been turned. Honor system (Sony's or Farrow's)? If this guy reads that fast I would assume that they'll have multiple readers staged with different content for fast changes and charging. I think it would be safe to say that the guy is going to reach the goal, but I would guess that the only thing slowing him down is the hardware. The speed of the screen refresh will likely be maddening for someone like him.
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #26
TadW
Uebermensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Will there be a test at the end to make sure he *really* read any of the books?
So this guy + random "relief readers" are going for 150,000 Reader pages? Using what font size? - With a "normal" font size, the average book I read on the Reader as around 500-600 pages. Then he'd have to read something or around 250 to 300 books to achieve Sony's goal.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #27
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
So this guy + random "relief readers" are going for 150,000 Reader pages? Using what font size? - With a "normal" font size, the average book I read on the Reader as around 500-600 pages. Then he'd have to read something or around 250 to 300 books to achieve Sony's goal.
Put that way it doesn't sound impossible at all, I imagine the worst part would just be the fact that after a certain number of hours you just don't want to read anymore. I know that I've read four or five books in a day (along with doing other things occasionally) more than once, so ten isn't outside the bounds by any means.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #28
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
In three simple steps:
1. read the original article
2. go to New York
3. stand in the queue to be his "relief reader"
According to the original article any passer by can fill in for David while David sleeps, eats, goes to toilet, ....

And while you are reading instead him, you can donate 1000 classics to 10 schools from our mobileread library for each page turned

fshaw:
1. OBVIOUSLY I didn't read the whole article. What fun would that be?
2. OK, but I'll have to be back before Saturday, when we leave for a week in DC.
3. Naw, HE can stand in MY queue. (Egomaniac much? Methink so!)

You know, if I weren't so charitied out right now (Get a Job!), I'd suggest a "virtual" MobileRead Fun Run. People enter for $25, compete to see who can read the most books (honor system, but they have to write a review on the "Let's Get Some Action Going" thread), and the money could go to buy a few Sonies for a classroom.

Someone would have to:

1. Decide which classroom to benefit.
2. Be in charge of collecting the $$$$$.
3. Follow through with the purchases, maybe get a charity-related discount with Target.
4. Figure out some sort of "prize," which the MRer could turn around and donate back to the cause, thereby getting a "bonus" charitable deduction - I suggest the winner gets a "free" virtual Sony, then donate that Sony back to the classroom as well (no actual product changes hands), and gets the bonus $299 value to write off as a tax deduction.
5. Be careful that DixieGal doesn't have to do anything but read, instead of being in charge of organizing things.

Do we have any volunteers? Talk amongst yourselves and I'll stay out of it. There's too many irons in my fire already.

Last edited by DixieGal; 09-29-2008 at 02:24 PM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #29
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Letting the winner pick the classroom might work.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
What we have here is a failure to "Ellinate."

They need Harlan Ellison in there to write the book; then, as each page is completed, it's automatically "translated" onto the Sony Reader.

This could be a sequel to "I see a man in a chair, and the chair is biting his leg."

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote