Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #46
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I've gone ahead and manually updated as well. It was much less painful than I was expecting.
Yeah it's pretty straight forward. On my old EZReader I just sold there was a button combination you had to push to update firmware. On the Kindle it's just copy bin file to Root, go to Settings then select Update My Kindle on the Menu, sit back and wait.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #47
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool hmmmm....

Quote:
I've gone ahead and manually updated as well. It was much less painful than I was expecting.
what did you gain from that effort?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #48
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Updated Kindle 3g to firmware 3.3. Had Jailbreak and Screen Saver hack installed from 3.1. I just want to report Jailbreak and Screen Saver hack still working after update.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #49
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Duokan Lite still working - all round painless.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #50
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
what did you gain from that effort?
In all honesty? Nothing but the most updated software. I really don't do much with personal documents on my Kindle.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #51
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool read books

Quote:
In all honesty? Nothing but the most updated software. I really don't do much with personal documents on my Kindle.
yeah, me either i just want to read novels, novellas and short stories
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #52
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
yeah, me either i just want to read novels, novellas and short stories
I email all books to my Kindles which becomes personal documents so it's a good update for me. I like that I can synch my books now to both my Kindles with this update.

If you just sideload books via USB then this update wont mean much.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #53
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
My KSO upgraded itself to 3.3 about a month ago. So far, none of the new features have any significance for me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #54
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I've never gotten a firmware update automatically. I know others have but I always had to manually update my K3.
Me too. I know the updates are rolled out in stages, but I always get impatient after waiting several days or weeks and just upgrade manually. Funny how those with only one device fail to see the significance of this update.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:08 AM   #55
teasonc
teasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I can't enter this text in this text-entry box (mobileread.mobi) on KSO3G FW 3.3 but I am doing so KDXG 2.5.5. GMail Standard (+JavaScript) claims that KSO3G FW 3.3 is running Safari (is that Konqueror?) Thought WebKit != Konq. but never inquired. GMail works acceptably well. Did not use FW 3.2.1 long enough to draw any useful comparisons.
teasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:03 AM   #56
rastik
Connoisseur
rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo999 View Post
I tried factory install, NiLuJe's jailbreak and SS install and the 3.3 file. No dice. The other steps scare the heck out of me, I'm on a Mac and I use Terminal occasionally, but I'm afraid I'd really screw something up and fatally brick it.

It succeeds on the first progress bar, but then fails on the second one with an exclamation mark. On the lower left is "U006" and on the lower right is, "Step 1 of 2." Then it reboots back normally.

Also of note is after I hook up the USB after the failed update, the 3.3 update file and another 24 MB file have been placed in my linkss folder.
For me it helped to check /usr/sbin/otaup file. It was changed, probably due som e old version of jailbreak. What do you get with:
Code:
md5sum /usr/sbin/otaup
rastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:54 AM   #57
metoo999
Enthusiast
metoo999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I checked my log and I got this:

ota_install: C def : patch : patchinfo="/opt/amazon/ebook/config/ServerConfig.conf":checksum failure

I tried uninstalling the nolog hack, but that didn't work.

Last edited by metoo999; 10-17-2011 at 04:07 AM.
metoo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #58
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I sideloaded the update and went from 3.1 to 3.3 with no problem. The books in my archive took a little while to show but they did finally appear.

Edit: is it my imagination or does the page update a little bit faster when you press the button after the update to 3.3?

Last edited by crich70; 10-17-2011 at 09:46 AM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #59
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Edit: is it my imagination or does the page update a little bit faster when you press the button after the update to 3.3?
I have been thinking the same...
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:24 AM   #60
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=128704&page=2

Source for 3.3 is available.
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote