Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #61
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcle View Post
thanks KiwiDude for the cool plug-ins

Was wondering how easy it would be to make a Copy MetaData / Paste MetaData contextual menu?

When adding lots of books particularly series, it would be handy to copy one after it has been properly formatted, and then paste it to the others in the series, then only minor tweaks would be required to the pasted ones.
Which metadata is it that you want copied? Could you provide a more detailed example of the steps you take currently? It may be there is another way to solve your problem (or not). I can't think of a situation where duplicating all of the metadata makes sense so not quite understanding what it is you are hoping for, sorry.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #62
garcle
Connoisseur
garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Which metadata is it that you want copied? Could you provide a more detailed example of the steps you take currently? It may be there is another way to solve your problem (or not). I can't think of a situation where duplicating all of the metadata makes sense so not quite understanding what it is you are hoping for, sorry.
OK the scenario is I am entering a large series of books, for instance an encyclopedia. I would like to:
1. Drag in all the books in the series.
2. Enter all the information for the first book in the series (which has the same title, author, author_sort, publisher, series name, date published, and even many of the the same common shared tags), and save the book.
3. right click on the book just entered and "Copy"
4. right click the second book in the series and "Paste" everything from the copied book
5. tweak only the differences between the books, say adding or removing a few tags.

This would be useful for series, or for different versions of the same book
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #63
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
OK the scenario is I am entering a large series of books, for instance an encyclopedia. I would like to:
1. Drag in all the books in the series.
2. Enter all the information for the first book in the series (which has the same title, author, author_sort, publisher, series name, date published, and even many of the the same common shared tags), and save the book.
3. right click on the book just entered and "Copy"
4. right click the second book in the series and "Paste" everything from the copied book
5. tweak only the differences between the books, say adding or removing a few tags.

This would be useful for series, or for different versions of the same book
Sounds much like "Bulk Meta-data Edit"
with the added ability to pre-select the values based upon the first book selected.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #64
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
why not just select all the books and bulk edit their common properties in the first step.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #65
garcle
Connoisseur
garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
why not just select all the books and bulk edit their common properties in the first step.
Very good point!! I didn't think of that!
The only advantage to the copy/paste however would be where you add new books in the series (or new versions of a book) later on.

Oh and .. Title and ISBN cant be bulk edit/ entered

Last edited by garcle; 12-06-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #66
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
The only advantage to the copy/paste however would be where you add new books in the series (or new versions of a book) later on.
When I want to copy metadata, I just create an empty book record, select it first, select the one I want copied second and hit ALT-M.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #67
garcle
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
When I want to copy metadata, I just create an empty book record, select it first, select the one I want copied second and hit ALT-M.
That will work!! Thanks for the great tips!!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #68
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
how about a plugin that will allow you to update the metadata in a epub file without the need run the convert process or the "save to disc" way of doing it.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #69
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

hmmm thinking more about it .. I think the above idea about metadata might be a bit too much for a simple plugin as the file will need to be unziped, then update the file and then zipped...
Old 12-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #70
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You could just use the methods Calibre uses to update the metadata. No need to reinvent the wheel. However, I fail to see why this would be a Good Thing to have. It would only incite people to dig around inside the Calibre library...
Old 12-09-2010, 07:15 AM   #71
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If this updated the metadata AND cover, I do not see why it would encourage users to dig around inside the Calibre library? If anything I would think it would be the converse. I must admit I would welcome such a feature to avoid ever having to run epub->epub conversions to achieve this.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #72
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
You could just use the methods Calibre uses to update the metadata. No need to reinvent the wheel. However, I fail to see why this would be a Good Thing to have. It would only incite people to dig around inside the Calibre library...
Only appeal I can think of is that it would mean that when you open the book using Calibre's viewer you get the same cover appearing that it would have when exported, without doing the EPUB->EPUB conversion? Cosmetic rather than functional?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #73
iandix
Addict

I have noticed.. sometimes when I do a epub to epub converstion some of the formatting is messed up.

I use "tweak epub" to change the cover, works rather well :-)
Old 12-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #74
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
If this updated the metadata AND cover, I do not see why it would encourage users to dig around inside the Calibre library? If anything I would think it would be the converse. I must admit I would welcome such a feature to avoid ever having to run epub->epub conversions to achieve this.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #75
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Since the metadata including cover is updated on any export from the library ("save to disk" and "send to device"), I stand by my reasoning: If you update the metadata from within Calibre, users might be tempted to just go into the library folder and pick the books out themselves for manual transfer. This can lead to Bad Things happening, as we've seen many times on this board. Kiwidude gave the only pro-updating argument I can see as being valid.
Closed Thread