Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #511
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
I missed the phone phobia part. Don't forget you can do it via live chat as well.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #512
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I got my replacement today! For those who may have forgotten, my main issue was odd diagonal lines in the upper lefthand corner of my 1st Kindle PW. Here is a link to a picture of it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...a/100_1637.jpg

Some people mentioned there was pink on it too. I didn't see it, until I compared it with my replacement. I can now see the pink tint to parts of the screen on my original PW.

My replacement looks *much* better. At least on initial comparisons. There are no weird lines of light on this one. Also, all the LEDs look the same brightness. My first one seems to have one brighter than the others and it looks odd. I do see a little bit of pale green here and there, but nothing bothersome. I believe this will be my keeper! (Depending on how a couple of days reading it goes, that is.)

I'll try to get pics of the new one soon. I know I am personally much happier with it so far!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #513
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I'm glad you're happy with your replacement, wystearya.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #514
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Wysterya, good luck with it. Glad to hear at least you got a unit that's better - though it may be hard to beat the diagonal lines.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #515
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mngharry View Post
It is worth playing the replacement game? I just received my third PW, and while it has the best screen so far, the light bleeds in very strongly from the side at the bottom. I'm wondering whether I should wait until Amazon sorts out the various issues with the screen before requesting a replacement again.
I know my first one had such a bright line along the lower left border that it was blinding me at night. The others are not as bad, though some are better than others in regards to the left border.

Not sure about keeping on replacing..., I am wondering about the same.
This Andrew from CS was supposed to get in touch with me "in the beginning of the week" and he asked me to hold off on any more action until we speak, but he has not called, so I am not sure how to proceed. I brought my last replacement to work with me today and asked others if they saw an evenly offwhite or grey screen, or if the saw any colors, and where. With one exception, the others all saw the pink center, though they did not detect the greenish tint around it. Who knows, if I had not seen so many screens already, I may not even have detected it myself.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #516
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I had heard that Foxconn in China had all their QC workers walk out. I have a hunch that somehow this may be connected to the PW problems..
The Foxconn workers got to their breaking point when asked to ensure that the new iPhone's screens do not have scratches longer than 0.2mm, which are impossible to detect with your eyes. That, and probably lousy treatment, forced overtime, lousy pay. The 0.2mms were just the straw that broke the camel's back.

I have not heard of Amazon dealing with Foxconn, but it could be...
Old 10-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #517
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I got my 2nd replacement today and I just don't know what to do anymore.

I am not even replacing for the color blotches, I been having other issues.
My first one had a very bright "hole" in the bottom left and even worst, the font was crooked. I mean I could see a black line on the screen right above the bezel, like they put the display in just a tad off center. So the line started thick on the left and then disappeared on the right. So text would be going down towards the right about 1 - 1.5 mm. For some reason that drove me nuts.

So first replacement has perfect alignment, no specks, but it has the bottom right light brighter than the rest. So there is like a headlight effect that is the size of a thumbprint. Its just this bright blob, pretty much at all light settings.

So today I get replacement #2. It has crooked line this time going the other way, now going up from left to right. Also the bezel is sticking up on the whole top of the unit. Meaning I can press down lightly and see the bezel going up and down on the outside edge and halfway towards the display. Like it wasn't glued on right. There are also a few tiny tiny dust specks, but those I could overlook.

I just don't know what to do now. I really don't. I am so stressed out from all this the calling, chat etc. They were very reluctant to even send me this replacement. I had to do chat and got nowhere and then I had to call again. I have a really bad problem with phones, phone phobia, so this is all really hard for me.
Atunah, could you post pictures of your units?

If you really like the software and would like to go for another replacement, you could try. Sounds like you got real crappy ones, and, it sounds like you were given the run-around! The second time I asked for replacements, I had to constantly call them back and ended up talking to 10 reps for a total of 2 or 3 hours (I forgot, it's all a blurr now), so I can only imagine this with anxiety!!! I really feel for you. Keep us posted.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #518
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Thank you for that link, xendula. Another interesting blog post, more about the light itself.

Returning Kindle Paperwhite
This is a great post as well, alas, if only my screen were all an even blue... I'd take it.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:29 AM   #519
mngharry
Enthusiast
mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PRS-505
Using the chat support when requesting replacements has been a very good experience to me. 5-8 minutes spent per request tops.
mngharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #520
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
The Foxconn workers got to their breaking point when asked to ensure that the new iPhone's screens do not have scratches longer than 0.2mm, which are impossible to detect with your eyes. That, and probably lousy treatment, forced overtime, lousy pay. The 0.2mms were just the straw that broke the camel's back.

I have not heard of Amazon dealing with Foxconn, but it could be...
I'm going by memory only, but I thought it was more than just the new iPhone's screens, I thought I read that the entire outer shell was basically absurdly easy to scratch, and people were receiving them scratched right out of the box. (What little I read of it sounded like a poor design decision to me.) I had to get a new contract on an iPhone 4 (not S) at the worst possible time in the product dev cycle, so I'll be stuck with it for a while yet, and haven't been paying much attention other than the one article I read. (So I could be wrong.)

The SO's PW delivery got moved up from Friday to tomorrow, so I should have a new data point on screen quality tomorrow afternoon.

In the meantime, my new case and clip light for my KK show up today, and I'm pretty excited about that.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #521
xendula
eBookworm

Trauma Doll, I was going by memory only as well ... Engadged.. you know...

Not sure if they produce the new iPod Touch in the same factories, but I received mine on Saturday and the hardware is flawless.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #522
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mngharry View Post
Using the chat support when requesting replacements has been a very good experience to me. 5-8 minutes spent per request tops.
I have never seen the chat option. All I see is phone or email. Where do they bury it? Thanks.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #523
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I have never seen the chat option. All I see is phone or email. Where do they bury it? Thanks.
You can find it here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/conta...UTF8&skip=true
Old 10-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #524
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Atunah, could you post pictures of your units?

If you really like the software and would like to go for another replacement, you could try. Sounds like you got real crappy ones, and, it sounds like you were given the run-around! The second time I asked for replacements, I had to constantly call them back and ended up talking to 10 reps for a total of 2 or 3 hours (I forgot, it's all a blurr now), so I can only imagine this with anxiety!!! I really feel for you. Keep us posted.
I don't have a camera and my old phone takes horrible pictures. They are just too blurry to see anything.

I just can't deal with this anymore. I can't even think of calling again. I got the runaround and the chat didn't help me at all. The chat didn't want to give me a replacement in the first place. I had to then call anyway. Its strange when there are lags when you have to wait for typing.

So for me I have to now decide which one to keep. The one with the brighter blob of light or the one that isn't glued down.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #525
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
So for me I have to now decide which one to keep. The one with the brighter blob of light or the one that isn't glued down.
In what way isn't it glued down? Maybe the one with the light blob would be better.