Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Easy PDF for the jetBook

I'm not a big fan of PDFs for ebook use, however, the jetBook has a decent PDF renderer, so I putzed around with it. The simplest, cheapest way to generate a readable PDF file for the jetBook I've found is:

1) Using Open Office Writer, open your source file (rtf, doc, txt, whatever).
2) Under "Format, Page" set the paper size to 3" wide by 4" high. Set the margins to 0"
3) Under "File" select "Export to PDF"
4) Pull the trigger.

When you load your file into the jetBook, you'll probably see a reasonable reproduction of what you would get if you printed the page. If you see a tiny image, go to "Settings" and choose "Full Screen".

Here's a typical excerpt from C.L. Anderson's "Bitter Angels", chosen simply because it was the first short rtf in my directory.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BitterAngels3W.pdf (70.4 KB, 523 views)
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Other observations: The PDFs were double the size of the rtfs. OTOH, they included the font files, so that's probably not too much of a problem.

I also checked tagging, and reflow appears to work fine on my PDA with Adobe's WinCE Reader.

Regards,
Jack Tingle

Last edited by Jack Tingle; 09-27-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
I like using 101mm for width and 130mm for height (both in OpenOffice.org and FeedBooks). 0mm or 1mm margins based on preference. Size 12 font is the perfect readability balance for me. Usually I use "full screen" but at those numbers, fit to width is the same. Nice tip: Any items set with a "Heading" style in OO.org (Heading1, Heading2, etc.) will turn up in the Table of Contents. You can also do nested Headings! Like:

-Book 1
---Chapter 1
---Chapter 2
---Chapter 3

-Book 2:
---Chapter 1
---Chapter 2
---Chapter 3

If you don't like the size or style of Heading1, Heading 2, etc. you can change them to your preference using the styles editor (press the F11 key).

Last edited by Kralik; 09-27-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist

DOH! (smacks forehead).

That should be 3" wide by 3.78" high. I forgot about the top bar. That's why I had slight mismatches in my screen and text. Sorry. Call it 76x96 mm for those in more enlightened climes.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Old 09-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
those measurements work pretty good.

I got my jetbook yesturday, and still playing with the best formats,

Pdfs are nice that they support hyperlinking, but they don't seem to support search or changing the text size

fb2 looked horrible when I tried it.

HTML looks pretty good actually, So does RTF. still playing with formats
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert