Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #121
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
I find the KF a little too heavy when I'm reading at night. Plus it's too distracting for me. Most of the time I find myself playing a game or on the internet instead of reading. So I might get the PW for night reading and leave the Kindle 3 for reading in the day. That's the plan anyway.
Sounds like a good plan! I find the KF heavy too at times for reading when my arms are super tired. Another reason to get a PW.

Last night I wanted to throw my Kindle Fire. The Pdoc cover issue is getting worse. It took me 3 Kindle clear data tries and restarts to get them all to show. I really do need that PW so I don't have to deal with it anymore. It looks like Amazon isn't going to fix it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #122
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Sounds like a good plan! I find the KF heavy too at times for reading when my arms are super tired. Another reason to get a PW.

Last night I wanted to throw my Kindle Fire. The Pdoc cover issue is getting worse. It took me 3 Kindle clear data tries and restarts to get them all to show. I really do need that PW so I don't have to deal with it anymore. It looks like Amazon isn't going to fix it.
I find that if I leave the Pdocs alone, some times the problem resolves itself. The covers will just appear after a few hours. Deleting the Kindle data has no effect with me. My hunch is that the problem lies with the cover size. If it's the wrong size the cover will never download from Amazon's servers. The only other way I've been able get the covers to appear is with the deregistering trick. Now I back up my Amazon books first.

I think that when I deregister it, the KF treats the Pdocs as it would Sideloaded books. That's why I think the covers show up. Anyway now I don't even bother with covers anymore. I've been slowly replacing them with Amazon bought copies or just deleting them when I'm finished reading them.

Btw Amazon's Mturk is a great way to make extra money for books
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 01:15 AM   #123
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
I find that if I leave the Pdocs alone, some times the problem resolves itself. The covers will just appear after a few hours. Deleting the Kindle data has no effect with me. My hunch is that the problem lies with the cover size. If it's the wrong size the cover will never download from Amazon's servers. The only other way I've been able get the covers to appear is with the deregistering trick. Now I back up my Amazon books first.

I think that when I deregister it, the KF treats the Pdocs as it would Sideloaded books. That's why I think the covers show up. Anyway now I don't even bother with covers anymore. I've been slowly replacing them with Amazon bought copies or just deleting them when I'm finished reading them.

Btw Amazon's Mturk is a great way to make extra money for books
I have never had a white cover fix itself. I thought size was the problem too but now I know it's something to do with Amazon's server because for a week every book I sent through with the same cover size showed up everytime. I was overjoyed I finally found out how to fix it. The next week it suddenly stopped working. Now my covers are white again. I haven't changed anything. The only thing I can think if this is server related. I must have been connected to a good one for a change then switched back to the one I always get.

When you clear the Kindle data app. It forces the covers to regenerate. However if they are having server problems like last night. It takes a few tries. I clear the Kindle data app then sync twice and wait then Restart the KF. It works almost everytime but a pain to do.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #124
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I was at Best Buy over the weekend and picked up a K4B. I gave my KT (3G) to MIL, who previously had the K4S. I'm still waiting for the KPW to be delivered.

I do find the K4B sharper that the KT I had been using.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #125
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
I was at Best Buy over the weekend and picked up a K4B. I gave my KT (3G) to MIL, who previously had the K4S. I'm still waiting for the KPW to be delivered.

I do find the K4B sharper that the KT I had been using.
Congrats!
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #126
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just ordered a $69 kindle too, my very first Kindle! I even started a thread about it, because I wasn't sure if I ordered the 2011 or 2012 model. Can't wait to become part of the Kindle-family and finaly take advantage of those super cheap books, such as $0.99 (we don't have that in Holland )
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #127
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I just ordered a $69 kindle too, my very first Kindle! I even started a thread about it, because I wasn't sure if I ordered the 2011 or 2012 model. Can't wait to become part of the Kindle-family and finaly take advantage of those super cheap books, such as $0.99 (we don't have that in Holland )
We have a few cheap books via Amazon in the USA. Don't forget that there are a lot of free books here at MobileRead. I'm not sure how many are in a language you would prefer, but there are a lot of classics available.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #128
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
We have a few cheap books via Amazon in the USA. Don't forget that there are a lot of free books here at MobileRead. I'm not sure how many are in a language you would prefer, but there are a lot of classics available.
I'd love to read those free classics, but classics are unfortunately often to difficult for me in English. I read modern English fine though. So I hope to find a lot of those modern English books for cheap prices
Old 09-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #129
Joy736
Addict

It's here, my new Kindle. And may I say: Wow Amazon, that was super-fast ! It's a lovely little device. I'm going to love it, I'm sure
Old 09-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #130
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
It's here, my new Kindle. And may I say: Wow Amazon, that was super-fast ! It's a lovely little device. I'm going to love it, I'm sure
Congrats

I have the K4S and love mine. It's my primary ereader. It replaced my K3 (now a backup).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #131
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I had a chance to play with one at Best Buy yesterday & wow! It's much lighter & much whiter!! I was surprised at how much lighter (weight wise) it is over the grey/silver one.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #132
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I had a chance to play with one at Best Buy yesterday & wow! It's much lighter & much whiter!! I was surprised at how much lighter (weight wise) it is over the grey/silver one.
According to Amazon they both weigh 170 grams.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #133
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Yeah it's still amazes me every time I turn it on and look at that near white screen. You got people coming in here trying to argue who never even seen one but once you have seen both versions there no question that Amazon fixed something and it wasn't the fonts.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #134
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
According to Amazon they both weigh 170 grams.

Andrew
The difference is the Silver feels like holding metal. The Black feels lighter because it has a more plastic feel but yes they do weigh the same but the feel of holding them is different. The back has a nice rubber feel like the Kindle Fire while the Silver has that gritty finish on the back.

Last edited by Blossom; 09-21-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #135
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I thought they felt like they weighed the same but I agree the black 'felt' better. After using it for two days I am really impressed. I don't have to face close to my lamp in bed to read and the page turning seems smoother. I struggled to not drop the previous one when I tried to read and turn with one hand.

I am also impressed with customer service. Mine shipped a day late and so they bumped it up to a faster shipping method than I had paid for at no cost. I was to get it in 7 business days and I got it in less than 24 hours.

I feel like my reading experience cannot be improved now. :-)
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote