Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 05-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #811
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I really liked audio versions of all the Riordan's books. In the Kane Chronicles, using different readers for the alternating points of view, worked out quite well, IMPO.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #812
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Right now, I'm listening to A morbid Taste for Bones, the first of the Brother Cadfael Chronicles. Very amusing so far. I've been listening to Gate of Ivrel off and on and am roughly half way through. I do like it, but it doesn't lend itself to listening casually, so I have moved it to next on my car listening list.
Advert
Old 05-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #813
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Quote:
But first, a digression to an even earlier era, with The Talisman Ring, by Georgette Heyer, read by Eve Matheson. This should be fun!
And what a lovely digression it is. Though I have the reader wrong, it's Phyllida Nash. IAC, very well read, and a delightful romp as always. I'm definitely enjoying this.
Excellent. One of Heyer's best, IMO. And well read. Overall, a 5, with maybe a slight knock down to a 4 for the actual reader, Phyllida Nash. She's good, definitely not a problem, but perhaps not my absolute favourite for Heyer.

Now, Murder and Mendelssohn, #20 in the Phryne Fisher series. Written by Kerry Greenwood, and read excellently by Stephanie Daniel. I'm looking forward to this with very mixed feelings. I've been hording these Phryne Fisher books because they are such a delight, but this is the last one so far and one has no surety of when there may be a new one.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #814
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Right now, I'm listening to A morbid Taste for Bones, the first of the Brother Cadfael Chronicles. Very amusing so far. I've been listening to Gate of Ivrel off and on and am roughly half way through. I do like it, but it doesn't lend itself to listening casually, so I have moved it to next on my car listening list.
Wow! I've been wanting to read this one, but there's no e-book available. Well GUESS WHAT? I just found an app for iPhone and iPad from Blackstone Audio that has the complete, unabridged version of A morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters and it's only $9.99. Needless to say, I jumped on that deal. Sweet!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #815
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

It was $17 at audible, so that's a good buy. Hopefully the series will show up as ebooks in the near future, but in the mean time, I plan to buy more of them. It makes a good change of pace from my normal listening selection.
Advert
Old 05-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #816
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

I started listening to "The Great Escape" the classic book that the movie was based on. So far, it's been great. The reader has just the right level of whimsy in his voice.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #817
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Wow! I've been wanting to read this one, but there's no e-book available. Well GUESS WHAT? I just found an app for iPhone and iPad from Blackstone Audio that has the complete, unabridged version of A morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters and it's only $9.99. Needless to say, I jumped on that deal. Sweet!
The situation with the "Brother Cadfael" ebooks is a strange one. In the UK, at least, they were all available as ebooks for several years (and I bought them all). About a year ago, they simply vanished. I can only think that perhaps the rights were sold to a different publisher.

It's situations like this that cause me never to have a "wanted" list for ebooks. If I want an ebook, I buy it, because you can never guarantee its future availability.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #818
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The situation with the "Brother Cadfael" ebooks is a strange one. In the UK, at least, they were all available as ebooks for several years (and I bought them all). About a year ago, they simply vanished. I can only think that perhaps the rights were sold to a different publisher.

It's situations like this that cause me never to have a "wanted" list for ebooks. If I want an ebook, I buy it, because you can never guarantee its future availability.
I wonder if it's a similar situation to what Disney does with their movies. The widely advertise them and sell them for a while in whatever format is popular at the time, after which they go "back into the vault forever," 'forever' meaning until they decide to release them again. As a marketing ploy, it must be working for them, because they've been doing it for years.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #819
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I just listened to the big short by Michael Lewis. It was fascinating to listen about subprime mortgages bonds, how few people identified the oncoming crisis and were able to make huge money. It explores how the subprime bonds were created, what role the rating companies played in it. I really enjoyed this book considering my non-finance background.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:15 AM   #820
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I wonder if it's a similar situation to what Disney does with their movies. The widely advertise them and sell them for a while in whatever format is popular at the time, after which they go "back into the vault forever," 'forever' meaning until they decide to release them again. As a marketing ploy, it must be working for them, because they've been doing it for years.
I very much doubt it . Never seen that happen with a book!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #821
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I finished The Goldfinch fairly quickly for me by syncing between the Audible and Kindle versions. I thought the narration was excellent and I loved the story. Yes, even the ending.

I tried to listen to an audio of Frog Music I got from the library but I couldn't stand the narrators voice, so I'm re-listening to A Brief History of Nearly Everything which is, of course, excellent.

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 05-07-2014 at 09:09 AM.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #822
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I finished up The Magic of Recluce (excellent!) and started into the second book, The Towers of Sunset, but it wasn't really grabbing me. I ended up switching to Rally Cry, the first Lost Regiment book by William R. Forstchen, which was a lot of fun. The historical details and attention paid to establishing Civil War era infrastructure from scratch added another dimension to what was in most respects a pulp adventure story (but quite enjoyable on that level, too).

I've returned to the second Recluce book and gotten a little more drawn in, though so far it seems less interesting than the first. The first book is a worthwhile standalone read even if you don't want to sign on for the series.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:40 AM   #823
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Recently finished Rough Country by John Sandford enjoyed it and moved straight into the next in the series Bad Blood. I really enjoy the Vigil Flowers character despite Sandford constantly putting in the same passages(band t-shirts, having a think about religion before bed, romantic interest and 'that beeping flowers') but I think the predictability of the character is what I like and the mystery/action scenes are very well written.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #824
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I've been listening to Rhys Bowen's Royal Spyness series, and enjoying them immensely. This is a cozy mystery series set in the early 1930s; the heroine is an impoverished royal, 34th in line for the British throne. Katherine Kellgren's narration is wonderful.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #825
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I just finished listening to John Locke's Letters on Toleration. I'm using Librivox to get through a lot of old classics.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations