Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #121
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So then the best choice would be to remove the DRM and not have to worry about what servers accept Kindle PIDs or not.

I was just letting people who read this thread know that getting DRM Free Mobipocket eBooks onto a Sony Reader is very easy. And some people do own some flavor Sony and a Kindle. So it's nice to know that the same eBook can have the DRM stripped and read on both devices.
No, the best thing is to use kindlefix.py to legally prepare the books for use on the Kindle. If the books downloaded are books that were purchased, then it's up to the owner to decide if they want to remove the DRM (technically not legal but I don't think the police will be beating down their door). If these are library books that were downloaded, I don't think you want to advocate folks stripping the DRM from books they don't own (that would be stealing).
Old 11-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #122
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
If these are library books that were downloaded, I don't think you want to advocate folks stripping the DRM from books they don't own (that would be stealing).
Only if you don't delete the book after the check-out period expires.

BOb
Old 11-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #123
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
So then the best choice would be to remove the DRM and not have to worry about what servers accept Kindle PIDs or not.
Right I was agreeing that this was perhaps a "better" choice... but it is no "easier" to do. That's all.

BOb
Old 11-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #124
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
No, the best thing is to use kindlefix.py to legally prepare the books for use on the Kindle. If the books downloaded are books that were purchased, then it's up to the owner to decide if they want to remove the DRM (technically not legal but I don't think the police will be beating down their door). If these are library books that were downloaded, I don't think you want to advocate folks stripping the DRM from books they don't own (that would be stealing).
But is this really legal to use kindlefix.py? What you are doing is not removing the DRM, but changing it. So it's no longer the same DRM as it was when you purchased it.

f I was to download a library eBook and strip the DRM, I could then read it without worrying about the PID and if I deleted it after I was done, then that would be legal and if I needed more time, renew it.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #125
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But is this really legal to use kindlefix.py? What you are doing is not removing the DRM, but changing it. So it's no longer the same DRM as it was when you purchased it.

f I was to download a library eBook and strip the DRM, I could then read it without worrying about the PID and if I deleted it after I was done, then that would be legal and if I needed more time, renew it.
But it still DRM'd so that it can only be read on the Kindle *not* anything or everything else.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:13 PM   #126
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The copyright holder has clearly given the reader permission to display the ebook on a uniquely identified Kindle. This is the conventional use for DRM (limiting access to authorized devices), which kindlefix honors. So kindlefix isn't circumventing the DRM so far as the copyright holder is concerned. It is circumventing the DRM as far as the Kindle is concerned, but why would a device have "rights" under copyright?
Old 11-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #127
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The copyright holder has clearly given the reader permission to display the ebook on a uniquely identified Kindle.
Isn't this discussion about books that do not work on the Kindle as a default? And then I would say that the copyright holder have in many cases explicitly not made the book available on the Kindle.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:06 PM   #128
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Isn't this discussion about books that do not work on the Kindle as a default? And then I would say that the copyright holder have in many cases explicitly not made the book available on the Kindle.
In the case of library books, the book is most likely available in the Kindle store (since they are downloading a .mobi book), so I don't know that books were "explicitly" made unavailable. When they reject a Kindle PID (as Fictionwise seems to be doing now), then they are purposely making it unavilable. It they accept the Kindle PID then they've just made .mobi books available as they have other formats.

Anyway, this thread is about how to make Igorsk's scripts work. All other discussion should move to another thread.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:04 PM   #129
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Publishers can't have it both ways, if they control access via DRM then the DRM defines which devices are allowed access. The copyright holder accepted the Kindle PID and (via their agent) stamped this PID as "authorized" inside the MOBI ebook. This PID is unambiguously for a Kindle, and the ebook in question (with DRM intact) does run on the Kindle. It isn't the copyright holder who is preventing this ebook from running on the Kindle, it is the Kindle's manufacturer (Amazon) who is doing so.

Kindle owners who read kindlefix-ed ebooks on their Kindle may be violating Amazon's terms of service, but this isn't an ebook copyright violation and there is nothing illegal in Igor's software.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:31 AM   #130
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Anyway, this thread is about how to make Igorsk's scripts work. All other discussion should move to another thread.
Yes it is. But you did say doing so was legal. But I question that legality as you have to actually modify the eBook in order to get it to work. It was not purchased such that it can work as is even if the Kindle's PID is accepted.

You can't make a blanket statement like that unless you know for sure it's actually true. And that is something we just do not know.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #131
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Yes it is. But you did say doing so was legal. But I question that legality as you have to actually modify the eBook in order to get it to work. It was not purchased such that it can work as is even if the Kindle's PID is accepted.

You can't make a blanket statement like that unless you know for sure it's actually true. And that is something we just do not know.
Who are you responding to?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:11 AM   #132
TriniGirL
TriniGirL began at the beginning.

Device: Mobipocket
I'm having a problem with my mobidedrm. I put mobidedrm2.py into both the script/my ebooks folders, i brought up command prompt i double checked to see if they are both there.

Scripts> dir- mobidedrm2.py (seen)
My ebooks> dir- mobidedrm2.py (seen)

Yet when i command Users\Denise\Documents\My ebooks> mobidedrm2.py
Nothing happens.
Even when i try pulling it up in C;\Python26\Tools\Scripts> mobidedrm2.py
Nothing again.
I'm seeing the files in the directory but the Copyright thingy doesn't show up.
What am i doing wrong?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:46 AM   #133
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Who are you responding to?
I am responding to the statement that you made that using kindlefix.py is legal. It may very well be not legal to use it. Are you really sure it is legal? If you are can you explain how you came to that conclusion? I'm not saying it is legal or it isn't. What I want to know is why you think it is legal.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:53 AM   #134
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriniGirL View Post
I'm having a problem with my mobidedrm. I put mobidedrm2.py into both the script/my ebooks folders, i brought up command prompt i double checked to see if they are both there.

Scripts> dir- mobidedrm2.py (seen)
My ebooks> dir- mobidedrm2.py (seen)

Yet when i command Users\Denise\Documents\My ebooks> mobidedrm2.py
Nothing happens.
Even when i try pulling it up in C;\Python26\Tools\Scripts> mobidedrm2.py
Nothing again.
I'm seeing the files in the directory but the Copyright thingy doesn't show up.
What am i doing wrong?
Do you have Python installed from http://www.python.org? If you do and you are in the command prompt and you see mobidedrm2.py, then all you need do is type mobidedrm2.py to see the usage template.

Also, if you have extensions turnes off, it's possible that the filename you really have could be mobidedrm.py.txt. If that is the case, turn them on. Go to Windows Explorer and then Tools | Folder Options | View and then uncheck Hide Extensions for known filetypes and finally click apply to all folders. I am not sure if this options applies to the command prompt or not.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #135
TriniGirL
TriniGirL began at the beginning.

Device: Mobipocket
I just went to the python site download a new python and now when i command it asking me to choose a program to open it with.

C:\Users\Denise\Documents\My ebooks> mobidedrm2.py

Window pops up saying choose a program you would like to open this with:

how to open it with python?
Closed Thread