Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #16
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm going to shock you... I can buy books from all those sources as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Daffy, don't blow the poor girl's mind

There's no need to be so condescending. As I mentioned in my post, I did my research before purchasing. I'm well aware I could strip the DRM from an epub and use calibre to convert it to mobi and read it on the kindle. However, I prefer not to do that. For this reason, I'm very pleased with my nook and the fact that it reads epub.
I didn't meant to start some kind of nook vs. kindle argument, so no need for kindle owners to get their panties in a twist. After all I did make this post in the NOOK subforum.
I was really more wondering if other nook owners prefer to get their books from b&n or other sites. Buying from b&n on the nook is quick and easy, while price comparing, downloading from another site, then side loading takes a bit more time and effort.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalynn View Post
There's no need to be so condescending. As I mentioned in my post, I did my research before purchasing. I'm well aware I could strip the DRM from an epub and use calibre to convert it to mobi and read it on the kindle. However, I prefer not to do that. For this reason, I'm very pleased with my nook and the fact that it reads epub.
I didn't meant to start some kind of nook vs. kindle argument, so no need for kindle owners to get their panties in a twist. I was really more wondering if other nook owners prefer to get their books from b&n or other sites. Buying from b&n on the nook is quick and easy, while price comparing, downloading from another site, then side loading takes a bit more time and effort.
I wasn't trying to be condescending... that's why I added the happy smiley face. You didn't say much about your research, so I don't know what you already knew. No one is at war and my panties are still straight. I'm glad you're happy with your nook.

Peace.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #18
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I wasn't trying to be condescending... that's why I added the happy smiley face. You didn't say much about your research, so I don't know what you already knew. No one is at war and my panties are still straight. I'm glad you're happy with your nook.

Peace.
Donald Duck never wore pants. But I'm glad you do!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #19
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
The Kindle store will also tell you if you've already purchased a book and tell you date you purchased it.
True, but I first started buying ebooks when Amazon and B&N only sold a small number of Adobe PDF and Microsoft LIT ebooks. I didn't want to get locked into a format that was tied to my hardware (and the DRM-busting software was not available as far as I knew at the time), so after researching, I chose the then "Palm Digital Media" format (eventually became eReader format).

I bought some from Simon & Schuster's website, then they stopped carrying eReader. About the same time, Amazon and B&N stopped selling ebooks and shafted all their previous ebook buyers by deleting their bookshelves.

I bought some from eReader.com. But I came to find that Fictionwise had everything I wanted, and it was easier to avoid re-buying books.

When Amazon first came out with the Kindle, I didn't trust they wouldn't do the same thing that they'd done before...back out!

With all the DRM-busting software out there, I could buy anywhere now. So I buy ePub and I price-shop. (I also keep a list of the books I own, to be my own budget police!)

But if the DRM-hacks went away, I'd be back to buying only eReader DRM, when buying DRM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
LynnO
LynnO is on a distinguished road

Device: nook, color nook, droid 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalynn View Post
I didn't meant to start some kind of nook vs. kindle argument, so no need for kindle owners to get their panties in a twist. After all I did make this post in the NOOK subforum.
I was really more wondering if other nook owners prefer to get their books from b&n or other sites. Buying from b&n on the nook is quick and easy, while price comparing, downloading from another site, then side loading takes a bit more time and effort.
I'm completely with you! I really don't want to do that work, I want to read. And yes, I'm tech savvy. For my liesure activities I want to plug and play. Absolutely no interest in stripping drm or calibre- even though from the sounds of it, it is amazing and the guy who runs it is a genius.

I prefer library books! However, I'm happy with a wide variety of reading materials so I can almost always find cheap stuff that will fill my needs. Both the Kindle and the Nook have a lot of free or really inexpensive choices.

I did download some free books from the Borders store when they went live and disliked the web site enough that I never went back. I need to explore some of the more independent bookstores because I don't see that much of a difference between B&N, Borders and Amazon, in price and selection of agency books. I'd buy self published and ebook only publishers if there were an easy way to figure what I might enjoy. I do look here, but it will take a while to find someone who likes what i do and also to make sure the recommendations are not influenced by knowing (or being the) an author.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #21
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
... we should celebrate having choice without taking an "us vs. them" (the "my reader is better than yours") stance.
Being neither a Kindle nor a nook owner, I have to say I didn't read into this thread any "mine's better than yours" comments.

Until you made your bold and misleading statement implying you can just pop over to B&N, Sony, or an Overdrive/ADE public library and grab any book to just drop into your Kindle without any format manipulation, I had never heard anyone claim it could be done.

All anyone did was respond with their disbelief in your claim. Not once did anyone claim "better than thou", just "better for my purposes". They merely asked for clarification that you, amongst all those who have said differently, can simply and easily (for instance) borrow a book from the public library using ADE.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #22
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Being neither a Kindle nor a nook owner, I have to say I didn't read into this thread any "mine's better than yours" comments.

Until you made your bold and misleading statement implying you can just pop over to B&N, Sony, or an Overdrive/ADE public library and grab any book to just drop into your Kindle without any format manipulation, I had never heard anyone claim it could be done.

All anyone did was respond with their disbelief in your claim. Not once did anyone claim "better than thou", just "better for my purposes". They merely asked for clarification that you, amongst all those who have said differently, can simply and easily (for instance) borrow a book from the public library using ADE.
Try re-reading the OP's first sentence. If thats not a "mine is better than yours" I don't know what is. And Daffy never claimed she could grab any book without format manipulation, she simply stated she could also buy those books from those sellers. She stated she could borrow from the library....period.

But again, as she states, there is an ebook reader for everyone. Personally, I am glad I chose my Kindle over the nook, but to each their own.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #23
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
duplicate post

Last edited by boswd; 09-07-2010 at 09:44 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #24
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Try re-reading the OP's first sentence. If thats not a "mine is better than yours" I don't know what is. And Daffy never claimed she could grab any book without format manipulation, she simply stated she could also buy those books from those sellers. She stated she could borrow from the library....period.

But again, as she states, there is an ebook reader for everyone. Personally, I am glad I chose my Kindle over the nook, but to each their own.

I don't know there's something about manipulating the format of a library ebook to fit your kinldle that just seems sleazy, like taking clothes from a GoodWill Bin.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #25
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I don't know there's something about manipulating the format of a library ebook to fit your kinldle that just seems sleazy, like taking clothes from a GoodWill Bin.
Lets see.
The book closes at the end of the loan period, is returned to the library and is no longer readable.

And thats "sleazy" how?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #26
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Sorry Jessica. I was just being a smart ass. I apologize if I came off as condescending.

The good thing about the nook, for our DRM friendly friends, is that it reads just about any ePub. The bad news for those of us anti-DRM, is that the B&N DRM only seems to work on the nook. :/
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #27
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:

Nope.

I reread the OP and I still only see "this is what works for me because...". And I still see Daffy's statement of "I can do that, too" as implying it is done just like the nook w/o file manipulation. She didn't clarify her statement with "after stripping the DRM and changing the format."

Of course, Daffy didn't say she could READ the books from other sources -- merely that she could BUY them. So, in reality, those of us viewing her claim askance actually inferred that she actually reads them, too. And that can only be done with a Kindle after stripping the DRM and changing the format.

Then again, she didn't say she bought DRM books, either, so once again, we only inferred it. So I guess the joke is on us for assuming we knew what she was saying.

Last edited by eGeezer; 09-07-2010 at 10:37 PM.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #28
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Lets see.
The book closes at the end of the loan period, is returned to the library and is no longer readable.

And thats "sleazy" how?
because what you're doing isn't legal nor is it your property to manipulate, let alone to a non profit org.

Last edited by boswd; 09-07-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #29
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
Quote:
Lets see.

And thats "sleazy" how?
that's not true. Once you remove drm, time limit no longer applies & your can keep your copy forever.
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #30
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Quote:

Ugh. That's not what I meant at all. But whatever. I honestly had no idea so many people that don't own nooks read the nook forum. Its not like I ran over to the kindle section spouting off about the fact that I'm glad I chose the nook over the kindle. Note that I'm only comparing to the kindle because when I did my research before I purchased, the kindle and nook were my top 2 choices, but the ability to read epub factored a lot into my own personal choice of the nook.
I was wondering a lot more about people shopping habits then wanting to get into a nook vs. kindle epub vs. mobi discussion. Perhaps it was unwise of me to even mention the kindle.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote