Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Fan Fiction

What Fan Fiction books have you read that you can highly recommend?
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
What fandoms do you like? (And by "books" do you mean "novel-length fanfic," ~50k words, or something else?)

Off the top of my head, I can make recommendations for Harry Potter, DC, Marvel, Highlander and Star Trek; I can scrounge up recs for Supernatural, Merlin, Smallville, Buffy, Stargate & SGA, Due South, Sentinel & several others. My tastes run towards explicit slash but I can usually find recommendations that aren't.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I don't know about the OP, but I would love some Star Trek recs. I have read most of the Pocket Books series. If there was some good novel-length fanfiction that was similar, I would enjoy it. I'd also enjoy any novel-length Buffy recs, athough I used to read extensively in that fandom and may have seen them already.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
...Harry Potter, DC, Marvel, Highlander and Star Trek; I can scrounge up recs for Supernatural, Merlin, Smallville, Buffy, Stargate & SGA, Due South, Sentinel & several others. My tastes run towards explicit slash but I can usually find recommendations that aren't.
Any Harry Potter, ST / SGA or Marvel that you especially liked? Where would I get those? Thanks
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amalthia's Fanfiction ebook library has a lot of great reads; everything I've read from there was excellent.

I read a lot at the Archive of Our Own (AO3), which has a higher quality of writing than most multi-fandom archives because it was founded by a swarm of fannish authors who wanted a stable archive ("we need to own the servers!"). The archive's still in beta testing, and the code shifts around occasionally, but most of the fic is excellent. (Eventually, the average quality will drop. Right now, the archive is mostly known by experienced, *good* fanfic writers.)

Got a flurry of Marvel fanfic recs at my Dreamwidth recently; http://elf.dreamwidth.org/295822.htm...422#cmt4417422

Harry Potter I can go on for *days* about. A while ago, I put together a list of 20+ Snarry Recs; the first 5-6 are novel-length. And there's Painless J's Harry Potter Recs, both standard "quality" recs & themed lists. I've also used the Snarry Reader at Livejournal to find recs. (I could probably find some less, erm, problematic recs. I've read a smattering of Harry/Draco and occasionally even some genfic.)

Recent Trek:
Seperis' You'll Get There in the End (It Just Takes a While) and sequel War Games are great.

Deastar's So Wise We Grow, also.

All of Mijan's Trekfic is excellent. (So is her Harry Potter fic, but as much of it is Harry/Draco non-explicit, I haven't read it all. Eclipse is wonderful.)

Older Trek: Killashandra's Turning Point series (Turning Point, Full Circle) were among my favorites when I first found online fanfic.

CM Decarnin's Intreat Me Not To Leave Thee is great--if your tastes run to brutal & explicit. (And a particular type of wordy which I love, but other people have said bores them. YMMV.)

SGA would take me a while to round up--I haven't watched the show; I just know lots of fans of it & so I see recs floating around. I don't have any that come to mind at the moment.
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #6
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
If you like star wars slash or just like funny and aren't put off when the inevitable odd character pairings happen I'd recommend the sith academy
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
What Fan Fiction books have you read that you can highly recommend?
That would depend what you're interested in. I can recommend a handful of longer Starsky & Hutch slash fics if you're interested.

I second Elfwreck's recommendation of the Archive of Our Own archive, unless there's specific fandoms you're interested - in which case you'd get much better answers to your question if you seek out discussion groups related to the fandom. There's a good deal to be found on Yahoo Groups and on LiveJournal and DreamWidth.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:41 AM   #8
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
I am conservative when recommending fanfiction. I know 3 novel-length fanfics I would actually care to recommend, 2 from the Sonic franchise and 1 from the Evangelion franchise. Are you interested?
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

I'm interested; my kid reads Sonic fanfic and I've no idea how to find good stuff for her. (Um. Kid isn't interested in anything heavy in romance or slash, which is part of why I have trouble finding stories for her. Is the Sonic fanfic mostly gen? Or plotty enough for someone who doesn't care for romance to skip over it?)
Old 04-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Is the Sonic fanfic mostly gen? Or plotty enough for someone who doesn't care for romance to skip over it?
The ones I'm recommending? Oh yes, definitely. Dunno what the statistics are for Sonic fanfics in general, though.

They're both fics written by K. M. Hollar, also known as NetRaptor.

The Epic Adventure: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/79304/1/The_Epic_Adventure, http://www.netraptor.org/fanfiction/...ory.php?sid=39
Shadows of Chaos: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/565871/1/Shadows_of_Chaos, http://www.netraptor.org/fanfiction/...ory.php?sid=56

They're basically novelizations of Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, respectively. I thought the author really managed to capture the tone and impact of the games, and is very skilled in bringing the characters to life, as well as explaining or reconciling inconsistencies in the source material. There are a lot of smaller fanfics by the same author, too, if these are liked.

You might also want to point your kid in this direction; TVTropes keeps fanfic recommendation archives, including one for Sonic. Their motto is proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for (in reference to Sturgeon's law, which states that 90% of everything is crap and which is often applied to fanfics).

Last edited by Jaime_Astorga; 04-10-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Thank you for the 20+ Snarry Recs list - haven't read most of those yet, so yay!

A few fics that I wanted to mention that I find myself rereading (all are slash, most not too graphic):

Harry Potter
HP/SS
Blood by Artemis Luna Diana (unfinished)
The Mirror of Maybe by Midnight Blue (unfinished)

HP/DM
Gold-Tinted Spectacles by Baren

and my all time favorite, takes me days to read but is so very worth it:

Gundam Wing - HY/DM
The Ion Arc by Sunhawk
and pretty much everything else written by Sunhawk, actually....

Non-slash fics that are good:

Inuyasha
Kagome/Sesshoumaru
A Breeder's World by BlueRibbon98 (unfinished)
The Syndrome by SunsetMiko
Vying For Dominance by ShadowsWeaver1

I'll stop there, as I could type all day and not come close to finishing a list of all the really good fics I have read.

Sadly, there are far more fics that start on a great premise, but the writing style is unreadable. Continuous source of free reading material though, and there is literally something for everyone's tastes.
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
I've read and created some fan fiction myself, it was a comfortable jumping in point to get my fingers working. I used the Gundam universe namely the Universal Century as my jumping in point. http://alt-world.com/alt-world/gunda...ion/index.html

A brand new dark urban fantasy novel - The Tether None Good by Nick Davis
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #13
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
A novel-length HP fanfic that I really enjoyed was FernWithy's Shifts. She's a prolific writer of fanfic in several genres.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #14
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
http://www.fanfiction.net/

Mucho lotta fanfiction. Enjoy.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #15
konrads
konrads began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Mini
If you want decent Harry Potter fan fiction, most of what's on http://www.fanficauthors.net is pretty good. The general writing quality is a lot higher than what you generally find on fanfiction.net

FFA has, to my knowledge, one slash story: Cartographer's Craft by Copperbadge.

If you're interested in (primarily) Buffy the Vampire Slayer crossover fics, http://www.tthfanfic.org has some good stories as well.

PS: Both Fanfic Authors and Twisting The Hellmouth offer EPUB versions of their archived stories.
konrads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfiction