Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle? or am i a sucker for marketing?

im asking a question, i own an ECO reader (hanlin v3 Aussie clone) and have got a lot of books for it. the reason i got this one and not the kindle 2 was that i did not want to be locked in to just one book store.

Now there is an Aussie eBook store (readwithoutpaper.com) and after looking at it for a few weeks, and around at other stores and comparing them to the kindle store, im thinking, ok so im not locked in to the kindle store, but with all the geographical restrictions on most eBooks, im basically locked out!

i see a far greater selection of books available in the kindle store for Australians to buy than are in the Aussie eBook store. And those that are in both, the kindle store is cheaper.

now getting to my question at long last.

Should i have bought a kindle? would i have been happier with a kindle or am i a sucker for a good looking ad?

is there anyone who has had the hanlin v3 and switched to kindle, or vice versa? tell me your thoughts please.

thanks guys.
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well, availability of books seam the important criteria to me.
If indeed, amazon propose you more books than the Aussie sites, might be the way to go.
Or maybe try with some US / UK website, if they don't have regional restrictions.
And as amazon DRM where cracked, there are way to free yourself if need be. Or buy books else where, de-drm them, and convert them to mobi.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Had you bought the kindle, you would have had a 30 day, no questions asked, return policy, paying only shipping costs.

Not sure how much that would be from your location.

This would have let you play with it, download books, (free ones, of course,) and see if it was the best one for you.

If you are happy with your device, thats the important thing.

Can you download the "kindle for pc" app? There is a hack for it here, somewhere........you can still buy the kindle books at the cheaper price, read on your computer or liberate them to read on your current reader.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
This is a very personal question. As you already have a device, you have some idea of how you use it, want to use it, and the advantages and disadvantages. One thing you want to keep in mind is that Kindle locks you in. If you just want to get the books, you could try Kindle 4 PC and then the script by I (heart) cabbages that strips the DRM. That way you can load the books into Calibre and into your reader. Of course, that requires multiple extra steps. With a Kindle, you buy the book and a couple minutes later your book is on your Kindle

What do you want and which is most convenient for you!
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote