Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-25-2006, 06:29 PM   #46
davidrothman
Connoisseur
davidrothman began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite, $50 Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 6, Kobo Aura H2O
Actually Branko has some interesting observations on the refresh rate and the direction of the page-advance/reverse controls. Those are highly relevant usability issues. Perhaps I'm just forgetting earlier reviews, but this info seems new to me. What's more, he's given us some interesting impressions of iRex the company. Plus, he has original photos. Anyway, thanks for the feedback, and stay tuned for more from Branko. - David Rothman, for TeleRead.org.
davidrothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:11 AM   #47
jsilence
jsilence began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy!
How abt the touch screen? Some TabletPC's touchscreen can be turned off via a hardware button.
I read in another review that the touchscreen is only turned on when you take the stylus out of the holder. And that it goes into a low power mode when you are not using it for a while.

-jsl
jsilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2006, 10:22 AM   #48
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilence
I read in another review that the touchscreen is only turned on when you take the stylus out of the holder. And that it goes into a low power mode when you are not using it for a while.

-jsl
ah, that's good. That should save some power there.
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:18 PM   #49
LionHeart
LionHeart began at the beginning.

Question Formats

I'm new, but I've read through most of the threads on the iLiad and Sony Reader and Hanlin, it's been very interesting.

I have a question that's very important for me to know before I shell out my hard-earned ducats for any of these very pricey readers (pricey because $500 will get you a laptop through Dell, so effectively what is being paid for is the miniaturization for a reader that can't come close to the capabilities of a laptop computer).

Can any of these handle .lit (MS Reader), .djvu (DejaVu), or .chm (Windows help file) formats? The .chm support is particularly important, a great many tech books come in that format.

Any update on this would be greatly appreciated.

-Lion
LionHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:07 PM   #50
drachasor
Connoisseur
drachasor began at the beginning.

I don't know about those formats and readers for them. What I do know is that it shouldn't be hard to convert .chm files to something else. A quick google search reveals free programs to convert them to html and there are possibly free ways to convert it directly to pdf.
drachasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2006, 08:31 AM   #51
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Lion, I am pretty sure from the information we have that at least the iLiad and the Sony Reader do not support .lit, .djvu or .chm.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:49 AM   #52
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Until someone writes reader software for it, naturally.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #53
mortenoffline
mortenoffline began at the beginning.

Device: QTEK 8310
e-Ink fixxing the curse of power usage

Have read about this device since last year and I'm hoping ive got the 0.5 K to bye one when it launches.

Just to point out something none of you guys have said anything about. The E-Ink screen does not use power when you are not changing pages. It only uses power when you'r changing pages, uses WiFi (this I'm familiar with becouse my mobile-phone qtek 8310 uses a shitload of battery when Wi-Fi is turned on) and if theres is a audio out you get the DA converter and power for the headphones. So if the Wi-Fi, audio is turned of and no page turning is going on, it is only supposed to use power when you have to refresh the gas dots in the screen, after about every 15 hours.

So if the iLiad is using power anyway, iRex has employed someone totally stupid to write their core. The killer app of iLiad, as I see it, is a lot of pageturns before recharge and that it can read pdf/txt/chm/html/doc etc. files you've downloaded legally or from some other source.

If you go to any DC++ server or any other cool P2P service you can dload quite more books than you can ever read. While this is illegal that can't be tanken into consideration since if iLiad dosent solve this some other small firm will. Producing E-Paper will get cheeper. And if those that now have the money to start this buisness does'nt make a good enough alternative they will be overrun in the near future.

After what I've read about the Sony Libre and Reader I'm awestruck by the poor buisnessthinking behind the products. Sony must employ someone that has a stick up their asses as I can see it. Would CD's have become a hit if you could only buy them from Philips? Open standards are way better, and I think the big chahunas will either learn this or fail miserably.

Building devices that can only read a small and expensive amount of book might be a good idea if E-Ink was dead hell expansive or E-Ink was rocket science. But it's not, and it's not so they have to compromise their products so that they will sell and prosper.
mortenoffline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #54
scstraus
scstraus began at the beginning.

Can you tell us anything about the notes application and what it's like to take notes on a blank "sheet"? Screenshots would be wonderful!
scstraus is offline   Reply With Quote