Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-21-2018, 04:14 AM   #1
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Question 9.7" or larger reader with frontlight, what's available?

Hello,

I currently own 9.7" Onyx Boox N96ML which I bought in 2016 for 428 EUR but it seems that it is not supported any more so I'm considering an upgrade.

The two requirements I have are:
  1. it has to be 9.7" or larger
  2. it has to have a frontlight

I have been eyeing reMarkable up for some time, which at this moment can be had for 500 EUR, but it does not come with a frontlight.

What options have I got these days?
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:45 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Frontlights just don't work at all well on large screens. I believe there is a 9.7" reader with a frontlight (Pocketbook?), but the reports of the lighting are not good. If you want a large illuminated screen, get a tablet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

If I wanted a tablet I would be asking on a tablet forum. My current reader has a frontlight that works very well.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #4
Asiorent
Asiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Its very hard to find a good e-reader bigger than 8 inch with a front light. Seems almost all 10 inch and bigger screens have pen writing possibility and no front light.

The only one which comes to mind is Likebook Mimas but it will have one more layer (because of the Wacom feature). Onyx explained, that is the reason why they didn't include note taking possibility on the Nova e-reader (the text is losing sharpness).

I have a friend which claims (that for him) the text on the generic Kindle (without additional layer) is sharper than on the Paperwhite so it is something which has to be checked before purchase or somebody trustful to make a review.

I'm also interested in this topic, hopefully somebody will be able to give more information.
Asiorent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:38 AM   #5
machinogodzilla
Addict

Wow! That Boyue Likebook Mimas looks exciting! Hopefully it does get released this year

Where can one buy Boyue from? Does any online store sell them or do you have to buy from China from Alibaba or something like that?

Last edited by machinogodzilla; 11-22-2018 at 03:42 AM.
Advert
Old 11-22-2018, 05:13 AM   #6
FastFingers
FastFingers began at the beginning.

Device: C67ML Carta 2
I'd wait a bit. There's a likebook mimas 10.3 from boyue about to come out. It will have a stylus. This listing from the Boyue store is of the smaller Likebook Mars which I own. I think the differences besides screen and stylus would be minimal.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/crdcfLqu

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
FastFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:31 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Check the wiki at Front_light for a list of many devices with front lights. There are several 9.7" and one 10.3"

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:52 AM   #8
Cengizhan Gunes
Cengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheese

Device: onyx
I think boyue mimas will ok for you. I am waiting for this one too. Boyue said will ok to buy on December.https://www.facebook.com/BoyueLikebook/?ref=your_pages
Cengizhan Gunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:53 AM   #9
Cengizhan Gunes
Cengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheese

Device: onyx
front light on large size ereader is improtant for me.
Cengizhan Gunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:56 AM   #10
Toodu
Enthusiast
Toodu can extract oil from cheeseToodu can extract oil from cheeseToodu can extract oil from cheeseToodu can extract oil from cheeseToodu can extract oil from cheeseToodu can extract oil from cheeseToodu can extract oil from cheeseToodu can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
Wow! That Boyue Likebook Mimas looks exciting! Hopefully it does get released this year
Where can one buy Boyue from? Does any online store sell them or do you have to buy from China from Alibaba or something like that?
I saw from Boyue twitter that they said it will sell on their aliexpress shop: https://likebook.es.aliexpress.com/store/3333002
Toodu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
9.7, 9.7", 9.7" tablet, front lit, frontlight