Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
BookkooB
BookkooB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Should i sell my Kindle DX?

I bought a Kindle DX Graphite some years ago. If i would sell it i would get around 140-160€ i think.

Are there new e-ink devices that would fit my needs?

- reading pdfs comfortably without converting to mobi/epub (using it for scripts in my university that will include graphics)
- epub drm or amazon drm doesn't matter.
- no 3g needed, even no wlan is needed.

for this all i can use my Kindle DX.
is there a device where i can make handwritten annotations?
or read pdfs with drm without converting?
or that have a better contrast?
within the price range mentioned above?

i would guess that you still can only read pdfs comfortably on big screens and the few device with big screens will be quite expensive?
I already have a laptop so tablets are no option for me.
BookkooB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sadly, Amazon has not updated the Kindle DX recently. There are a handful of other large screen e-ink devices that are still on the market. These include the Onxy M92, Icarus Excel, Ectaco jetbook color, and Pocketbook Pro 912. Sony has a prototype of a 13 inch e-reader which is currently in testing at three Japanese universities.

The Onxy allows for handwritten annotations, the Sony will as well if they ever release it. I do not know if screen contrast has changed much since the graphite. I do not think that they have for large screen readers.

As you noted large screen e-readers are expensive. The Jetbook is 500 USD, the Onxy M92 is 279 Euros.

If you wanted to spend at least 400 pounds, and wanted a larger screen, then I would wait to see what happens with the Sony, as its screen is twice the size of the Kindle DX. Otherwise, you have to decide whether or not the upgrade to a new machine is worth it for you.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The 9.7" eInk market has essentially been overtaken by LCD tablets. I don't think you'd see any particular benefit from getting rid of your KDX.

Personally I find an iPad with the "Goodreader" app to be the perfect PDF reader, but I know you don't want a tablet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote