Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
wcott
Enthusiast
wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo
apostrophes turn to squares

Just wondering if anyone's had the same issue, and if there's a fix anywhere.

I've a few books that I've downloaded and put into Calibre - and they look just fine when I view them. However, after they've been transferred to my Glo, all the apostrophes and quotation marks have turned to squares. It's very offputting to try to read.
I've tried reformatting them from epub to epub again - and reinstalling on the Glo - but no luck.
Any thoughts?
wcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Using font 'georgia' might help?
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
wcott
Enthusiast
wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
Using font 'georgia' might help?
Nope...doesn't change a thing.
I've seen the book on another brand of reader, and it looks just fine...as it does in Calibre.
Another thing that makes you go "hmmmm"...I guess.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
lgxkls
lgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheeselgxkls can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
I had this problem the other day and changed the font to Font Amasis. It was fine in Calibre but had squares in the Document default font.
I tried some other fonts and italics became bold, but Amasis seems to be fine.
lgxkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
wcott
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgxkls View Post
I had this problem the other day and changed the font to Font Amasis. It was fine in Calibre but had squares in the Document default font.
I tried some other fonts and italics became bold, but Amasis seems to be fine.
Still no joy with Amasis.
Go fish.
Advert
Old 06-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcott View Post
Still no joy with Amasis.
Go fish.
Try Charis SIL or DejaVu serif. Checked the modified fonts thread for information on font file naming.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
When I've had problems like this, it was due to a problem with the character encoding somewhere.

The two ways I've fixed it are with the Modify Epub plugin, check "Encode HTML in UTF-8", or do a calibre conversion, and in "Look & Feel", specify something under "Input character encoding", cp1252 I think.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
wcott
Enthusiast

Thanks, people - no joy one way or the other....and I'm loath to mess with too much stuff here. It's only about a half-dozen books out of my 800-odd titles - so I'm not going to cry buckets. I'll see if I can find another download someplace and see if it repeats.
Thanks, anyways.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcott View Post
Just wondering if anyone's had the same issue, and if there's a fix anywhere.

I've a few books that I've downloaded and put into Calibre - and they look just fine when I view them. However, after they've been transferred to my Glo, all the apostrophes and quotation marks have turned to squares. It's very offputting to try to read.
I've tried reformatting them from epub to epub again - and reinstalling on the Glo - but no luck.
Any thoughts?
When you did the epub to epub conversion, did you select Look & Feel and then check the Transliterate unicode chararcters to ASCII box. That worked for me on one occasion. Also if you added one of the fonts I suggested earlier, did you power cycle the Kobo after copying the font files in the fonts folder?

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 06-23-2013 at 07:57 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
When you change the fonts suggested above, do you see actual font differences to be sure that the font has changed?

I'm thinking maybe the books have embedded fonts, so changing them on the reader won't really make the change for epub. You could open up the problem books and Sigil and see if specific fonts aren't referenced.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote