Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #31
kdgarris
Connoisseur
kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Alas, it sounds like there's won't be a self-lit keyboard version; I'm not surprised, but I am bummed. I really don't want to give up my keyboard, but I suppose I need to resign myself to the fact that my next Kindle likely won't have one.

So, while I love the idea of a self-lit Kindle, I won't be an early adopter myself.
kdgarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #32
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Given that no new WiFi only versions of the K3 have been produced in months, this should not be a surprise. I think they are simply waiting for the K3 3G to sell out to remove the model from its list.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #33
alaskazimm
alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook Touch Glow; Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm always skeptical of new ereader technology. Sony was always trying stuff that sounded cool but usually degraded the screen. Has anyone actually seen and used the new Nook to see if there is any screen degradation? I guess testing the light inside a well lit store would be futile.
I have both and although there is a difference in color that is noticable, it is not significant in my opinion. The text is a bit lighter color but the contrast is not affected. While I can notice the difference, it doesn't bother me. The addition of the light more than makes up for it in my use.

Disclaimer - I am one who has a hard time seeing the difference in regular tv and hdtv so take it for what it's worth. YMMV
alaskazimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #34
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I had already decided to skip the current KT, but a front-lit KT could sway me. I really do like my K3 though.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #35
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
I dont know how many sites would keep speculating mentioning an "anonymous" highly placed source spilling the beans. this article seems legit though and I hope that they do come out with a light on screen that would not make it less contrasty... At least that way we can hope for a color eink kindle next year since there would be nothing more to do in existent (already perfected except 256 bit greyscale) pearl screen..
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #36
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Next Kindle will have Cypress TrueTouch controller for capacitive multi-touch and screen with 210 DPI (1024x758).

Last edited by eureka; 05-15-2012 at 07:01 PM.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #37
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Next Kindle will have Cypress TrueTouch controller for capacitive multi-touch and screen with 210 DPI (1024x758).
Haha, a capacitive touch screen would really bring up all the initial fears of fingerprints/glare/reduced contrast/etc!

And the current Kindle Touch already has multi-touch.

EDIT: limited multi-touch
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser06 View Post
I dont know how many sites would keep speculating mentioning an "anonymous" highly placed source spilling the beans. this article seems legit though and I hope that they do come out with a light on screen that would not make it less contrasty... At least that way we can hope for a color eink kindle next year since there would be nothing more to do in existent (already perfected except 256 bit greyscale) pearl screen..
256-bit greyscale? That seems a little improbable; I don't believe I've ever seen a display which has more than an 8-bit greyscale display. There would seem little point; it's estimated that the human eye can only discern around 200 shades of grey.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #39
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought that the ereaders today were 16 grey scale. The K1 was 8 grey scale.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #40
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
8 bits of colour information provide a total of 256 different colours.
For 16 colours, you only need 4 bits of information.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #41
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
256-bit greyscale? That seems a little improbable; I don't believe I've ever seen a display which has more than an 8-bit greyscale display. There would seem little point; it's estimated that the human eye can only discern around 200 shades of grey.
Yeah, my bad.. I confused shades of grey with bits. I meant to say that to have a contrast ratio equal to that of real paper, we would need 256 shades of grey, but looks like its only 200. Right now, the kindles (and all other eink devices in their current avatars) are 16.

It was 5 AM here in India at the time I posted.... lol....
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #42
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I would like a lighted Kindle like the Nook Glow touch.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #43
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
They're talking about bits... how many 1s and 0s are used to represent each pixel's (dot) color. Though I think that somebody said bits when they meant shades.

When you say that a screen is an 8 bit display you mean that there are 8 0s and 1s representing its possible shades of gray (or color as the case may be), so:

00000000 --> 11111111

That's a LOT of possible values, 2^8 possible values actually, so 256 different values. A 256 bit screen would allow for 11579208923731619542357098500869000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000 [not really all zeros at the end, but the value far exceeds the precision of my calculator, and I put it in standard notation for those who don't know how to read exponent (scientific) notation] possible different colors, so whoever said that obviously didn't mean a 256 bit display.

For a bit more clarity:

1 bit = 0 or 1, so either white or black for each dot.

2 bit = 00, 01, 10, or 11, so four shades, white, black, and two intermediate shades per dot

3 bit = 000, 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110, 111, or 8 possible shades, white, black, and 6 intermediate shades, which is what most previous generation readers supported.

4 bit = 0000, 0001, 0010, 0011, 0100, 0101, 0110, 0111, 1000, 1001, 1010, 1011, 1100, 1101, 1110, 1111, so 16 possible values, white, black, and 14 intermediate shades, which is what most modern e-readers support.

Maybe I've strayed too far from the discussion, but I thought I'd help clarify for those who have always wondered what it meant to say "16 bit display", etc... (which your computer's graphics card [or the graphics hardware on your LCD based reader] does support, 16, 24, or even 32 bits per pixel, the details of which I won't go into here)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #44
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I need more sugar if I am to understand this stuff (winks)

So not a techno geek here.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #45
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
I need more sugar if I am to understand this stuff (winks)

So not a techno geek here.
Well, to summarize... your statement was correct (8 shades of gray vs. 16).

I was merely pointing out why there was confusion in the previous comments -- some were talking about bits, and some were talking about shades of gray, plus a nerd lesson since I can't help myself sometimes :-) .
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote