Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo Vox available for pre-order in US and Canada(ships Oct 28)

Kobo Vox™ Features:
  • Processor: Freescale, iMX51; ARM Cortex A-8; 800 Mhz; Offers faster overall system performance and improved power management
  • Storage: 8GB of onboard storage
  • RAM: 512MB
  • Operating System: Android™ OS v2.3; Full open access
  • Add additional storage: Expandable with Micro SD card (32 GB)
  • File Types; Books: ePub including fixed layout & enhanced. Images: JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP. Audio: MP3, AAC, 3gp, mp4, m4a, flac, ogg, wav, mid. Video: 3go, mp4, webm
  • Built-in Wi Fi: access with unlimited free access to Bell's Wi-Fi network. Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n and Micro USB support
  • Audio: Built-in speaker and universal 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack
  • Micro USB connector: Connect to PC for easy synching
  • Micro-SD card
  • 7" display, 1024 x 600; anti-glare screen resolution; 400 brightness Multi-touch screen
  • Pick up where you left off: automatically bookmark pages
  • Size: 192.4 mm X 128.4 mm
  • Slim: 13.4 mm
  • Weight: 402.5g
  • Battery Life: Up to 7 hours with Wi Fi on
  • Touch Sensor: Home, Back, Menu
  • Physical Button: Power, Volume up, Volume down
  • Warranty: The Kobo eReader comes with a 1-year Factory Defect Warranty

As expected, it does not appear to come with Android Market access--no camera does that . I imagine it will be rooted soon enough to get that for folks who want it.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/kobo-v...-vox-item-page
http://www.kobobooks.com/kobovox
http://business.financialpost.com/20...h-of-kobo-vox/

Given that Canadians cannot get either the Fire or the Nook Colour, this may be a bigger deal here than it is in the US. I'm betting it is available world wide over the next few months.

Last edited by taming; 10-19-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: more info
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Definitely interesting for Canadians... Now to decide whether I actually need a tablet or not :P

It says you have access to 15000 free apps, is that like just a collection of apps Kobo offers?

Last edited by Fayth; 10-19-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't really plan on buying one, but was looking at the Acer Iconia A100 at $299 (Staples and Future Shop) for the 8GB one. I know that as far as tablets go, this is older technology, but it looked like it would meet my (very modest) needs, so I took the plunge and preordered a lime green one. The $199 price point was the tipping point for me. At $249 (the expected price) I would have gone for the Acer.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I didn't really plan on buying one, but was looking at the Acer Iconia A100 at $299 (Staples and Future Shop) for the 8GB one. I know that as far as tablets go, this is older technology, but it looked like it would meet my (very modest) needs, so I took the plunge and preordered a lime green one. The $199 price point was the tipping point for me. At $249 (the expected price) I would have gone for the Acer.
I'm still looking at the Acer A100 for myself (GPS! Camera! HDMI!), but I'm looking at the Vox for the kids (since I have twins, I gotta buy two. $199 is much more attractive)
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Was hoping for something with Kindle Fire specs and a card reader. Instead, we get a Nook Color clone.

Oh well, scratch another one off my list.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I'm guessing that Kobo does not get the kind of pricing for manufacturing that Amazon does--economies of scale being what they are. Specs like the Fire would probably not have a Fire-like price for Kobo. I am looking forward to seeing what the screen looks like outdoors.

From the press release on Engadget:

Quote:
Featuring a brilliant multimedia touchscreen, readers can experience text with high contrast resolution and immerse themselves in books, magazines, games and videos in vivid color. Kobo uses the most advanced 7 inch AFFS+ display, with anti-glare – the same technology used in airplane cockpits (there are no clouds at 30,000 feet) – for great reading indoors or outdoors and featuring an extra-wide angle for incredible viewing and ideal for shared reading and viewing.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
As expected, it does not appear to come with Android Market access--no camera does that . I imagine it will be rooted soon enough to get that for folks who want it.
I'm confused, then. According to the Kobo Vox page on the Kobo site, which you linked to:
Quote:
Enjoy full and open access to Android

Surf the Web, email friends, listen to music plus easily access over 15,000 free apps!
The blog post announcing the Kobo Vox says the same thing:
Quote:
Consistent with our open philosophy, Kobo Vox offers full access to Android 2.3, and includes an open app store with over 15,000 FREE apps for Android.
Does this mean that Vox will have access to a Kobo app store and not the official Android app store?

I'm new to this whole tablet thing and easily confused.

Edited to add: 5thWiggle, I also have twins! 9 year old girls. They recently got iTouches, though, thanks to airmiles, so don't need another device quite yet.

Last edited by Suzanna; 10-19-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
I'm confused, then. According to the Kobo Vox page on the Kobo site, which you linked to:

Does this mean that Vox will have access to a Kobo app store and not the official Android app store?

I'm new to this whole table thing and easily confused.
Google only allows certain approved devices to get access to the Google Market (the "official" Android app store). There are other unofficial stores that anyone can access.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:

I'm new to this whole table thing and easily confused.

Edited to add: 5thWiggle, I also have twins! 9 year old girls. They recently got iTouches, though, thanks to airmiles, so don't need another device quite yet.
The official Android Market from Google has over 250,000 apps in it, with over 60% of them free. Kobo is obviously referring to some other app store. Whose, I have no idea; maybe Amazon's Appstore. I just don't know.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That makes sense, kjk and tubemonkey. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
I'm guessing that Kobo does not get the kind of pricing for manufacturing that Amazon does--economies of scale being what they are. Specs like the Fire would probably not have a Fire-like price for Kobo.
Economies of scale make a big difference: Fire is going to *launch* with an order in the 4-8 million range, Kobo will do well to sell a couple million over a year.
At least Kobo correctly understood that matching the $199 price point and open apps aspects of Fire is more important than specmanship.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #12
Suzanna
Living in the past

Dear Author just posted about the Kobo Vox here. Jane reported that Vox has access to the full Android marketplace. When someone corrected her in the comments (comment #3) Jane went on to say in comment #4:
Quote:
I did get a confirmation that Kobo Vox has full access to the Android Marketplace. Unsure why they indicate it has only 15,000 apps.
I'll be interested to see if this is confirmed elsewhere.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Economies of scale make a big difference: Fire is going to *launch* with an order in the 4-8 million range, Kobo will do well to sell a couple million over a year.
At least Kobo correctly understood that matching the $199 price point and open apps aspects of Fire is more important than specmanship.
Amazon are also prepared to make a small loss on the hardware because people will spend more money in their closed environment (and with Fire that includes their app store, video store, music store, etc) - much like making a loss on selling the razor, but tie people in to buying the blades.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
I had to smile at Kobo's pointed jab at Amazon, without naming names. At the same time, however, they are pulling the wool over our eyes by alluding to "open access to Android" and "15,000 free apps," which does not mean Android Market. But many consumers who are aware enough of the Android Market issues might not realize that the "open Access to Android" means they haven't forked the OS or masked it with their own UI.

So, kudos to Kobo for loving the open, but thumbs down for being a bit deceptive with their marketing.

The price point and ship date are intriguing. I have a pre-order in for the Ideapad A1 after I negotiated the price down on the 16GB, but it's still more than the Vox and doesn't have the anti-glare screen (I have a Kobo wifi for outdoors, if need be), but A1's processor is a bit faster, comes with Android Market, Netflix, etc. I've sideloaded Market on my now dead and returned tablet, but it would only work for a little while before crashing and needing a new APK sideload. That's annoying.

Granted, I won't be using that many apps, but the ones I used before primarily came from Market. You definitely pay a Market license premium for out-of-the-box access.

The other hesitant part of the Vox, though I'm glad to see Kobo entering the fray, is that it's a first run tablet for the company. Amazon's in the same boat, though the manufacturer has some experience with that build already. There are bound to be quirks and hiccups, especially when I see firmware fiascos in regards to the Touch.

I want to see someone produce a finger-print resistant tablet!
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Dear Author just posted about the Kobo Vox here. Jane reported that Vox has access to the full Android marketplace. When someone corrected her in the comments (comment #3) Jane went on to say in comment #4:

I'll be interested to see if this is confirmed elsewhere.
I just saw her posts as I sub to her blog too. I can't tell you how happy I am about this if it has full Market access. I will be getting one. I'm going to wait on reviews of stability so I wont be pre-ordering.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-reader, kobo, tablet