Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Thumbs up "So You Want to be a Wizard" (now drm-free outside the US)

I have very fond memories of this book from the school library. It was one of things I tried searching for when I got my e-reader, with no success. I was ecstatic to find that it's now available globally, and I was able to buy it without DRM! (For North American readers, you can follow the same link and then jump to Amazon or B&N).

I'd recommend it to anyone not too proud to read "Young Adult" / children's adventures, and who enjoys written fantasy or sci-fi. Great fun, and more than a little depth. I didn't find it suffered from re-reading as an adult. On the flip side, it's probably not for you if you use "Geek" as an insult, if any mention of science would be a turn-off for you, or if you've only read Harry Potter and are expecting something along the same lines.

I want to call it a cult classic. I don't honestly know whether that applies, but it has the right profile. The original, years ago, is said to have sunk without trace, but it's recently been re-printed.

Are there any other Young Wizards fans here on MobileRead?

Last edited by sourcejedi; 02-25-2011 at 11:14 AM.
sourcejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've got this one plus High Wizardry, A Wizard Abroad and Deep Wizardry in pbook format. They are entertaining reads I agree, and I'm well beyond young adult age. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
DHNightshadow
Zealot
DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyager
Thanks for telling. I did look a few days ago for this series but didn't see them anywhere for buying outside us and uk as ebook. It is nice to know, and I get them, looking for reading someday. So many books, and so little time to read.
DHNightshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
And here I gave up and just made my own the other day.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Alas, these books are not available in epub format to Canadians, as B&N is still requiring a US billing address. Fortunately, my library has them in hardback.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Deep Wizardry was a riveting compelling read. Didn't expect such intensity in a young adult book. Recommended.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I really liked the original SYWTBAW and Deep Wizardry; I also liked High Wizardry, but after that the books seemed to start getting slightly repetitive to me. I still own them all.

My personal favourites, however, are the Feline Wizardry spin-offs (e-books horribly overpriced by Grand Central Publishing, which cost more than my original trade paperback editions). I wish Duane would finish writing up the 3rd, to which serial I contributed some $25 or so back when it was still being actively worked upon.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ATDrake: It's finally been finished!

If you paid for a subscription, you're supposed have access to the complete Big Meow now. Did you change your email address during the long wait? Have you tried getting in touch?

The entire thing was supposed to have gone "free range" two days ago. That hasn't happened yet, but at least we can be pretty confident the book has been written now .
Old 02-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
My email address hasn't changed. I've still got access to both the accounts that I used for the general mailing-list and the actual subscriptions. Maybe it got eaten by an overzealous spam trap or it just got overlooked during the mass-notification process (I remember Duane used to send out all the updates more-or-less manually in batches herself, back in the day).

Thanks for the heads up!

ETA: No, nothing yet, but I've waited what, two years? I can wait a bit longer. They're probably swamped at the moment.

Last edited by ATDrake; 02-25-2011 at 03:20 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
ETA: No, nothing yet, but I've waited what, two years? I can wait a bit longer. They're probably swamped at the moment.
Fill in the contact form at

http://www.dianeduane.com/contact

and you should get a response fairly quickly. The completed draft is now available in Mobipocket and ePub. I believe it's going to go through a little editing before the print version is produced.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #11
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Great find! Plus, if you scroll down a bit "A Wind from the South" is currently available free, though only in pdf/lit/pdb format.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:22 AM   #12
sourcejedi
Groupie

If you go to the shop, you may still be able to obtain A Wind from the South in .epub and .mobi (Kindle) for free. It's been a "limited time offer" for a while (hey, sometimes delays work in our favour .

Update: High Wizardry has been added to the list of "international" editions (for non-US/Canada-ians) available at the shop.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #13
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Even better! But...how long does it take to confirm payment of a free book?
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #14
sourcejedi
Groupie

Sorry, it's not supposed to do that. Try the links on this page instead --

http://www.dianeduane.com/shop/index...age=page&id=22

I had the same problem with free orders earlier - they had to sort my order manually, but I assumed they'd fixed it now. (The link above goes through Boxee instead of their own site, so I suspect they're at least vaguely aware that this is still a problem).

I hope it doesn't put anyone off making paid orders. Those seem to be working now, and if they fail, you can just do the same as I did the first time round. Contact them using the form (see e.g. pdurants link); they will verify the payment manually & email you the desired file.

Last edited by sourcejedi; 02-28-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
outlander78
Zealot
outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc 7
"So You Want to be a Wizard" - great title. Anyone read that and think of Dana White's UFC rant "do you want to be a f****** fighter?"

Out of curiosity, why DRM free outside of the US?
outlander78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm-free, fantasy, science fiction, young adult, young wizards