Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
Former Kindle 1 Owner Seeks Advice: Nook vs Kindle 2

Okay, so here's the deal: I had a Kindle 1 when they first came out, but had to sell it a while back to pay some bills. I have scrimped and saved and gotten out of the hole and am in a good place now and have about $300 in gift money saved up to spend on an e-ink device.

I was really happy with the original Kindle, and the Kindle 2 seems pretty cool. I still have some unread books "in the cloud" that I was going to read on my iPod Touch, but just sold that because I now have a Droid. I personally didn't have any issues with the original Kindle at all.

So I come back and start sniffing around and see all this business about the Nook. I've read every Internet article on it that comes up, including on this site, so I've got that much info at least. At first I was thinking the Nook might be the way to go, but then I started thinking about how the color screen might actually distract me and I don't really need a 3 inch color android based browser anyway because I have the Droid. Add on to that all the delays in shipment, possible lawsuit in progress, and the Kindle books I already "have", I am now leaning back toward the Kindle 2.

So, I'd be interested in hearing from Kindle 1 owners who upgraded to the Kindle 2 to see what you think of the new experience. I'd also be interested to hear from Kindle owners in general if they regretted not pre-ordering the Nook.

In addition, does anyone know if there's supposed to be a new 6 inch type Kindle coming out anytime soon? I'd hate to drop all that money on a Kindle 2 only to have a new model come out a couple of months later and/or the price of the Kindle 2 then suddenly dropping.

Thanks for your help!
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:35 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There will always be something better available in 6 months; if you delay a purchase on that basis, there'll never be a right time to buy.

The Kindle 2 works very well indeed. My only complaint about it is that, for those living outside the US, the book selection is very poor. If you're in the US, that's not an issue at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You came back (Mr. USA Today )!

I upgraded from K1 to K2. I still own both but K2 is now my main reader and K1 is my back-up (I'll never give it up).

I don't miss the removable battery or SD Card storage (maybe a little). K2 seems to be a bit more "hackable" for additional features. It's pretty much the same interface with some nice tweaks, with a joystick for navigation. You'll feel right at home with a K2.

I did not pre-order a nook and have no plans to purchase one, though that should change (I think I'd like the Alex better). I would much rather hear from people who actually get a nook in their hands than jump on the band wagon right now. I'm holding out for the Plastic Logic Que (I'll be waiting for hands on reviews before I purchase).

You should buy something right now thereby guaranteeing that a new version of the device will be out in a few months for the rest of us who are waiting.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I still won't give up my K1 for anything. I can't comment on the nook, because nothing is known for the moment on it...

FYI......the refurbished K2 is still available for $219....with full warranty and 30 day return, and free 2day shipping....
* Free Two-day Shipping: Get it Wednesday, December 9 ( order within 36hr 15min )

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the link desertgrandma! I had decided an hour or two ago to go ahead and get another Kindle, ESPECIALLY after reading all I could about the Nook (to ME, personally, it doesn't seem to have any advantages to make me want to go with it).

I know the refurb units come with a full warranty, but do they come in brand new condition? Even at a discounted rate, I don't want a scratched unit or a half used battery. I'd rather go ahead and spend $40 more to get one without scratches and a new battery. (Consequently, I bought my iPod Nano 3 years ago as a refurb from Apple, and it's STILL working and in mint condition).

Oh, and yeah, I'm Mr. USA Today LOL! But now I have a Droid and get it free on there and it's pretty incredible on it, so the newspaper on the Kindle issue is irrelevant for me.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot

And as an update, I called Amazon twice and both times got connected to someone with a thick accent (possibly from India), and they could not comprehend that I was speaking about a REFURBISHED Kindle. I kept telling them over and over that I was not speaking of a brand new Kindle, but one from the Warehouse Deals section of Amazon that was REFURBISHED because I had questions about the condition of REFURBISHED items like this.

They could not comprehend what I meant by REFURBISHED. **sigh**
Old 12-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Another consideration might be the ebook availabilty. We know that presently Amazon has better prices on ebooks that Barnes and Noble. Then there is, of course, the whole drm issue which is a bit of an unknown with the Nook as well.

cheers
Lee
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaggisMacJedi View Post
Thanks for the link desertgrandma! I had decided an hour or two ago to go ahead and get another Kindle, ESPECIALLY after reading all I could about the Nook (to ME, personally, it doesn't seem to have any advantages to make me want to go with it).

I know the refurb units come with a full warranty, but do they come in brand new condition? Even at a discounted rate, I don't want a scratched unit or a half used battery. I'd rather go ahead and spend $40 more to get one without scratches and a new battery. (Consequently, I bought my iPod Nano 3 years ago as a refurb from Apple, and it's STILL working and in mint condition).

Oh, and yeah, I'm Mr. USA Today LOL! But now I have a Droid and get it free on there and it's pretty incredible on it, so the newspaper on the Kindle issue is irrelevant for me.
Many of us on here have bought a refurbished model, of the K1, k2, and dx.

I have bought two K1's which unfortunately are not available right now. However, both units were in brand new conditon, right down to the plug covers, new cords, and shrink wrapped. Both have worked perfectly.

Now.........do you use the 'call back' feature? Where you click the 'contact me' button, sign into your account, and click on 'call me back" They do that within a couple of minutes

Interesting.........I haven't come across any accents in speaking with CS...
Old 12-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #9
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot

Yes, all three times in the past couple of days I've used the callback feature, and all three times I've gotten someone that *sounds* like "they ain't from 'round here."

Anyway, I ordered a refurbed K2 and am thrilled! I also downloaded the Kindle for PC deal and placed all my books on there for now. I just wanted to make sure Amazon's refurbs came clean, neat, and looking new. I'm pretty excited, and to be honest with you, I think the Nook is going to be at best an equal with the K2, but really think it's going to take a generation or two for B&N to catch up with Amazon on this one.

By that point it will be time for another e-reader and who knows what will be out.

The Travel Channel has been playing the Kindle commercial nearly every break this weekend, so I've gotten some good looks at the K2.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:06 AM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Yes, all three times in the past couple of days I've used the callback feature, and all three times I've gotten someone that *sounds* like "they ain't from 'round here."

Anyway, I ordered a refurbed K2 and am thrilled! I also downloaded the Kindle for PC deal and placed all my books on there for now. I just wanted to make sure Amazon's refurbs came clean, neat, and looking new. I'm pretty excited, and to be honest with you, I think the Nook is going to be at best an equal with the K2, but really think it's going to take a generation or two for B&N to catch up with Amazon on this one.

By that point it will be time for another e-reader and who knows what will be out.

The Travel Channel has been playing the Kindle commercial nearly every break this weekend, so I've gotten some good looks at the K2.
We'll be waiting for your reviews, good or bad.......And you will have time to return it, if, after comparing it instore with the nook, you really think you'd prefer it..............or a Sony.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #11
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot

Okay, just got my K2 today and it's in seemingly mint condition (ie: there's not a scratch on it). I've been without a Kindle since February, and boy did I miss it! I was coming from a K1 to this K2 and I LOVE IT! I sold my K1 for $300 back at the start of this year, so I think this was a pretty good deal all in all. The only thing I didn't like about the K1 was the fact that the back cover kept coming off mine and that the buttons were in strange places. Problems ALL solved with the K2.

After seeing all sorts of Nook reviews online now (I watched a 25 minute video yesterday), I am even MORE satisfied with my decision! Thanks for the suggestion on the refurb Desertgrandma! It turned out to be an incredibly wise choice because I ended up with enough money left over to get the case I wanted, AND buy some books!
Old 12-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Okay, just got my K2 today and it's in seemingly mint condition (ie: there's not a scratch on it). I've been without a Kindle since February, and boy did I miss it! I was coming from a K1 to this K2 and I LOVE IT! I sold my K1 for $300 back at the start of this year, so I think this was a pretty good deal all in all. The only thing I didn't like about the K1 was the fact that the back cover kept coming off mine and that the buttons were in strange places. Problems ALL solved with the K2.
Congratulations! That's great to hear
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:22 AM   #13
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There will always be something better available in 6 months; if you delay a purchase on that basis, there'll never be a right time to buy.

The Kindle 2 works very well indeed. My only complaint about it is that, for those living outside the US, the book selection is very poor. If you're in the US, that's not an issue at all.
Ummmm...given that the OP already has a K1 I don't understand the relavance of that comment. I suspect it would be safe to assume the OP is either in the US or understands the issues outside the US.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:26 AM   #14
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
You may miss the user-replaceable battery. It's one of the few areas where K1 beats K2.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
leequick1
leequick1 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, rocketbook, rb1100, palms, nook, iPhone/iTouch, Jetbook lite
Quote:

After seeing all sorts of Nook reviews online now (I watched a 25 minute video yesterday), I am even MORE satisfied with my decision!
I saw that idiot mess up the show and tell. I have the nook right now in my house, at first I was a bit apprehensive on what it would and wouldn't do. I remembered how the Kindle will not use the mobipocket drm ebooks only the non drm ebooks. I have a bundle of eReader drm ebooks from fictionwise and the eReader.com site. So I loaded up the Nook, without reading the instructions and discovered that my non B&N ebooks have to go into the folder called My Documents. Once I discovered this I actually almost read the entire instruction manual on how to... Discovered a few things and one of them was how fast the reader is when changing pages. Fast enough to keep up with almost any reader except trained speed readers and it does a pretty good job there. I also discovered that my little touch screen area is not as sensitive as the video seemed to suggest. It has a slider or up and down arrows and a round thing to select what you want up above.

I put all my drm ereader ebooks from Fictionwise.com into my documents, opened up one and it requested my name and credit card number I had used in purchasing. Finally figured out which card, entered it and there was the ebook, no muss no fuss. It says it will store the info so it is available for all the others I purchased. I does more than I need it to do today. What I might want it to do in a year or two hopefully it will continue to meet my needs.

The ability to use it left or right handed is a plus, the pressure needed to change pages is not all that much. Since all my ebooks are in My Documents I don't get the coloured ebook pictures, but I am not in it for coloured pictures of my ebook, I need the words. So I am more than happy with it right now.

The nice thing about this world is that there is no perfect reader, doesn't exist. We need all the choices out there and good info to choose what is best for us. If I had been a Kindle 1 user I would now be a Kindle 2 then Kindle 3 user, etc. Maybe the Fictionwise reader would have been better but I had already ordered Nook and it is so cute.
Lee
leequick1 is offline   Reply With Quote