Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Android Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-29-2016, 10:59 PM   #361
andyinsb
andyinsb began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62+
USB keyboard now working

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
Try an active (powered) usb hub.
Thanks. The USB keyboard is working now. I'm using an OTG cable with a power input.
andyinsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:47 AM   #362
ifrew
ifrew began at the beginning.

Device: inkbook obsidian
I have an Inkbook obsidian that I'd like to get OTG enabled on. I think it should be capable of doing that based on the information I have read on the web and in this thread about it being the same as a Boyue T62+. It seems the Boyue T62+ is capable of doing that and I saw andyinsb got that working. I should say I'm a newbie with Android devices but have a lot of experience with windows devices. I have read all of this thread with great interest. I have rooted the inkbook with kingroot and I have ADB enabled and working with the device.

It seems the Inkbook Obsidian is some form of T63 (see build.prop file below for details) and that the T63 is really a T62+ platform and that the T62D firmware could work on it and therefore get hopefully OTG working.

Before I do any firmware update I'd like to be able to save the current build on the device. if someone could tell me the adb commands to do that or an alternative method I'd be much obliged. Secondly, to update the device, do you believe it is possible to just use the update.zip file for the T62D firmware from feb 2016 that andyisb used above to get his usb keyboard via power otg working? I read in this thread there is a sequence to use to get the update to apply, namely hold power and refresh buttons, then after 5s let go of the power button. On the inkbook obsidian I don't believe I have a refresh button so not sure what that may be on this device.

Any help appreciated. Here is the build.prop file for reference if it helps.

Cheers

[Please use spoiler tags for a post of this length. Thank you. - MODERATOR]

Spoiler:

Iain

build.prop file follows..

# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=JDQ39
ro.build.display.id=rk30sdk-eng 4.2.2 JDQ39 48 test-keys
ro.build.version.incremental=48
ro.build.version.sdk=17
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=4.2.2
ro.build.date=Fri Nov 20 15:06:33 HKT 2015
ro.build.date.utc=1448003193
ro.build.type=eng
ro.build.user=builder
ro.build.host=builder
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.model=rk30sdk
ro.product.brand=inkBook
ro.product.name=T63-AG
ro.product.device=inkBook
ro.product.manufacturer=BOYUE
ro.product.locale.language=pl
ro.product.locale.region=PL
persist.sys.language=pl
persist.sys.country=PL
ro.product.board=rk30sdk
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=rk3026
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=inkBook
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=rk30sdk-eng 4.2.2 JDQ39 48 test-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=rk30sdk/rk30sdk/rk30sdk:4.2.2/JDQ39/48:eng/test-keys
ro.build.characteristics=tablet
ro.boeye.provider=rk
ro.boeye.product=rk3026
ro.boeye.machine=inkBOOK
ro.boeye.order=Poland-ArtaTech-T63
ro.boeye.version=inkBOOK-obsidian_2015112015-V1.0.0
ro.boeye.customer=ArtaTech
net.hostname=ArtaTech
persist.sys.localevar=
persist.sys.timezone=Europe/Budapest
persist.boeye.homepage=http://www.google.com
persist.boeye.shutdowntime=20
persist.boeye.screenoff_time=300000
persist.boeye.def_time_12_24=24
persist.boeye.preinstall=0
persist.boeye.updatemodel=ArtaTech-T63
persist.boeye.turnpagestyle=1
persist.boeye.statusbar=1
persist.boeye.notification=true
persist.boeye.inputMethod=com.android.inputmethod. latin/.LatinIME
UserVolumeLabel=inkBOOK
ro.boeye.shortstandby=1
ro.boeye.desktop=com.boyue.boyuelauncher
persist.service.adb.enable=0
persist.adb.notify=0
# end build properties
#
# system.prop
#

#rild.libpath=/system/lib/libreference-ril.so
#rild.libargs=-d /dev/ttyUSB2
# Default ecclist
ro.ril.ecclist=112,911

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
ro.config.ringtone=Ring_Synth_04.ogg
ro.config.notification_sound=pixiedust.ogg
ro.carrier=unknown
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=5m
dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=48m
dalvik.vm.heapsize=256m
dalvik.vm.heaptargetutilization=0.75
dalvik.vm.heapminfree=512k
dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree=2m
ro.sf.lcdc_composer=0
keyguard.no_require_sim=true
ro.com.android.dataroaming=true
ril.function.dataonly=0
persist.sys.strictmode.visual=false
dalvik.vm.jniopts=warnonly
ro.rksdk.version=RK30_ANDROID4.2.2-SDK-v1.00.00
sys.hwc.compose_policy=6
sys.wallpaper.rgb565=0
sf.power.control=2073600
sys.rkadb.root=0
ro.sf.fakerotation=false
ro.rk.MassStorage=false
ro.rk.systembar.voiceicon=false
ro.rk.systembar.tabletUI=true
wifi.interface=wlan0
ro.tether.denied=false
ro.sf.lcd_density=212
sys.resolution.changed=false
ro.rk.screenoff_time=60000
ro.rk.def_brightness=200
ro.rk.homepage_base=http://www.google.com/webhp?client={CID}&source=android-home
ro.rk.install_non_market_apps=false
ro.default.size=100
ro.product.usbfactory=rockchip_usb
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=15
ro.opengles.version=131072
ro.factory.tool=0
ro.kernel.android.checkjni=0
ro.need.white.with.standby=n
ro.rk.bt_enable=true
ro.factory.storage_policy=0
persist.sys.usb.config=mass_storage
testing.mediascanner.skiplist=/mnt/sdcard/Android/
ro.product.version=1.0.0
ro.product.ota.host=www.rockchip.com:2300
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-06-2016 at 03:19 PM.
ifrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:56 AM   #363
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifrew View Post
I have an Inkbook obsidian that I'd like to get OTG enabled on. I think it should be capable of doing that based on the information I have read on the web and in this thread about it being the same as a Boyue T62+. It seems the Boyue T62+ is capable of doing that and I saw andyinsb got that working. I should say I'm a newbie with Android devices but have a lot of experience with windows devices. I have read all of this thread with great interest. I have rooted the inkbook with kingroot and I have ADB enabled and working with the device.
Did you check it with a powered USB OTG cable or via powered USB HUB? All those devices need a powersource to have working USB OTG.

Quote:
It seems the Inkbook Obsidian is some form of T63 (see build.prop file below for details) and that the T63 is really a T62+ platform and that the T62D firmware could work on it and therefore get hopefully OTG working.

Before I do any firmware update I'd like to be able to save the current build on the device. if someone could tell me the adb commands to do that or an alternative method I'd be much obliged. Secondly, to update the device, do you believe it is possible to just use the update.zip file for the T62D firmware from feb 2016 that andyisb used above to get his usb keyboard via power otg working? I read in this thread there is a sequence to use to get the update to apply, namely hold power and refresh buttons, then after 5s let go of the power button. On the inkbook obsidian I don't believe I have a refresh button so not sure what that may be on this device.
For this, you should read more about it. I firmly recommend reading all of this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=254042 otherwise the chance to brick your device is higher than the chance of success.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #364
ifrew

Thanks for the links and info. I haven't tried powered yet as Andy got his card reader working without that. Host diagnostic app also reported not working.,

I got a little impatient and went ahead and tried the update before backing up. The february '16 update started to load but partly failed and ended up at recovery screen. I did a reboot and it loaded with the new boyue UI. No,OTG though so I thought I'd try an earlier update and see if that fully installed. I loaded the August '15 update and that fully loaded but at reboot it got stuck in a boot loop. So now i'm trying to do a factory reset hoping the original firmware will be on the recovery partition. Only problem is that I cannot get the menu to appear in recovery mode.,I have tried all key combinations using power and the two page buttons. I am also trying using adb with the shell reboot wipe data command but the shell is not available in recovery mode. I sent a mail to,Artatech asking what the key sequence is to hard reset the device as I am sure there must be a way for the typical end user.,

I'm doing all this as an experiment as I want to run an app when I fly my paraglider. So if all fails its,no big loss for me. For sure a good learning experience on android though. ☺

cheers
iain
Old 06-25-2016, 03:08 AM   #365
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi,
there is no full recovery partition. There is a recovery screen, where the little robot is lying on its back with open belly, this will automatical update if a suitable ROM image is present (can't remember if this has to be on sd or in the internal memory, probably booth). The problem with wrong firmware is in most cases the touchscreen, which isn't working. Hard reset will not help in your case, flashing the right ROM probably will.

Edit: I forgot: nobody got the OTG working without a powersource. Check it, Andy is using a powered OTG cable.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 06-25-2016 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:21 AM   #366
ifrew

Finally managed to get tmy Inkbook Obsidian back up and running again. Many thanks to all the posters on this thread. After having got it stuck in recovery mode I had tried downloading and installing different images for the T62+. The model is based on the Boyue T63 and the T62D image didn't work. I searched hi and lo for some images on the internet and found a site with a lot of them including T63 but couldn't get it to work. Then just a few moments ago I found an official site.. http://my-midia.com/en/inkbook-obsid...rmware-update/ I hadn't seen this in all my searches over the last couple of days. Anyway, I tried to do an update.zip install via the ADB but it wouldn't load and kept going back to recovery mode. So I unpacked the update.zip file, used the boot.img file and loaded it onto the device through the RKandroidtool 1.37. This brought device back up but had the Boyue T62D UI installed, which I expected since I basically just changed the boot loader. I then updated the device using the update.zip file on the sd card. It came up like a treat, but in Polish. I just changed the language settings in the settings menu to English and I'm golden again.

Now just to try a powered OTG cable or hub and see if it works! :-) Fun times. Thanks again folks...this forum and thread have been invaluable. If anyone know of an android ink tablet that provides OTG support out the box please let me know! I want to buy one!

Cheers

Iain
Old 06-27-2016, 03:19 AM   #367
nhedgehog
Guru

Quote:
If anyone know of an android ink tablet that provides OTG support out the box please let me know!
Sure, there is the NOOK Simple Touch or NOOK Simple Touch Glowlight. With the changes available at XDADevelopers it has limited OTG support. Even an USB soundcard is working. The devices are sold out but some people are still selling them.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #368
iakovl
Connoisseur
iakovl began at the beginning.

Device: none
what is the latest (or most recommended) rom for the T61B?
iakovl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #369
ifrew

Just a quick note to let folks know that the inkbook obsidian does indeed support OTG through a powered OTG cable. I used a y cable connected to the pc and then a power pack and both worked fine. Even have my globalsat nd 105c usb gps working with it now so.my experiment worked out fine and I learned a lot about android is in the process. Many thanks folks.

Cheers
Iain
Old 08-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #370
revoke
revoke began at the beginning.

Device: inkBOOK Onyx
Post ICARUS Illumina (E653BK/RD/WE) Firmware

I know this is an older series of questions here, but if you are still looking for help with the ICARUS E653, I think can answer some of your questions, and this information might be helpful for other searchers as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rol View Post
Is it possible to unroot the device without leaving any trace that it has been rooted, in case it has to be returned to the shop for an hardware problem? If yes, how?
Yes. It is typically is possible to unroot, but in my experience with returns it is not always necessary to unroot as along as you at least get the original firmware (or system image) and recovery loaded back onto the device. Before any attempt with 3rd party or alternate firmware, it is advisable to make a backup image first (you can do this from recovery, or using ADB). This procedure varies by model, and is beyond the scope of this reply.

Quote:
In section 6, How to unbrick your device, the guide explains how to replace the original ROM with a new IMG. But there is no IMG file for the Icarus model. Is it available somewhere? Or can I safely use one of the Boyue images? In that case, how can I determine if I need the T61 or T62 image? I guess it's the T61, right? Also, how to know if I need the "A", "B" or "C" variant?
Newer models of the ICARUS Illumina E653 are (mostly) the same as the Boyue T61D, although depending on when you purchased it, it might have some different capabilities (newer models have Google Play support, 8GB and Carta screens). So, the image file (or zip) file you would need to turn your E653 into a generic Boyue device are the images for the T61D. You can get an updated IMG file from FOV's thread (see below).

Quote:
Also, the guide explains how to update the device to the latest firmware, and gives links to the update.zip files. Great, but I don't know if I have to update my device. Since I've just bought it, I suppose that it is up to date, but who knows? It runs Android v4.2.2 and the Icarus firmware v1.1.0-2015060820. Unfortunately, trying to update the firmware the official way (from the Settings -> About -> Update -> Check Update Version ) doesn't work. There is always the same error message: "Server threw an exception. Please try again later." I have reported that problem to the Icarus support, but I haven't received a reply yet. Therefore, I wonder if I should try the update available in this thread. But here, there is no version number, and therefore I don't know if it is more recent than mine. Someone can tell me how to find the version number within the update.zip archive? I don't want to risk to end up with an old firmware, especially since it seems impossible to download the latest version officially.
The links Boyue T61D firmware in this thread are older than what you have (you have a June 2015 image. The linked Boyue T61D firmware appears to be from April 2015). There are newer options out there.

If you want newer firmware, you have several options. I'll outline two:

1. Direct from ICARUS: If your E653 was made after April 2015 (which from looking at the ROM version you have, it might be), you can check here for the March 2016 firmware from ICARUS. It is in update.zip format. You basically just pop the zip file at the root of a microSD card, insert the card, and the device will prompt you to update. Pretty simple (and even easier than Icarus's own instructions). Complete directions are available at the site: http://faq.icarusreader.com/index.ph...198&artlang=en (read the notes on determining your serial number carefully)

2. FOV's excellent Boyue Firmware thread: FOV currently links to a generic IMG file for the T61D dated June 2016. It's a different process to load IMG files (not as easy as an official ZIP) and once loaded it will be Chinese. So you have to make a note of where to get into settings to change the language before switching to the generic Boyue ROM. The thread is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=265289

Personally, I've stayed with English ROMs for my InkBOOK Onyx (another imprint of the T61D), but I do get curious every time Boyue releases updates for the T61D.

I would love to see a firmware comparison at some point as reviews on all devices in the series (Boyue T61D, inkBOOK Onyx, ICARUS Illumina E653, etc.) are typically based on the original firmware, not the improved versions.

So, what I know after days of page surfing is that as of this post on August 11, 2016, I believe the current firmware for the T61D variants are:
  • Boyue T61D (June 2016 - Chinese by default but can be changed in settings)
  • Icarus E653 (March 2016 - only for E653 made after April 2015; English by default; Google Play support)
  • inkBOOK Onyx (October 2015 -- available HERE, requires two flashes; English by default)

I currently use firmware inkBOOK-Ereader_V1.0.1-201510121 (October 2015) on my inkBOOK with Amazon Kindle sideloaded. So, I have EPUB and Kindle Mobi support in one place. It's been pretty stable. The included app store isn't the greatest, but as a basic reader for EPUB and Kindle books it's not bad.

Hopefully, this is useful information for users with these models.
revoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:31 AM   #371
rol
rol began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus Illumina E653
Thanks a lot for the useful information.

Finally, I don't have my Icarus any more. After a lot of investigation, I've decided to return it to the shop and test other ebook readers as well. But it appears that all readers I've tested have big limitations or are full of bugs, and I have had to return them to the shop as well. So currently I use my tablet to read my ebooks. Anyway, it seems that an Android based reader is the best choice for the versatility of the OS and the numerous apps, so if I need to buy a reader, I'll consider the Icarus again. But the bad thing is the battery. Android is very demanding and the big advantage of the ebook readers over the tablets - the battery - is unfortunately less important with Android based readers. It's why, currently, I prefer real tablets. The battery of my tablet is a problem too, and much more important, but why would I need an e-reader if I have a tablet that does a better job, despite the fact that the reader can be used longer without recharging the battery?

Anyway, I'm still interested in this thread, and I thank you again for the detailed replies to my questions.
rol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #372
JNT
Connoisseur
JNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic something

Device: KT / K4NT / T62D / T68
Pre-ROOT a system image

What exactly needs to be added/changed to a system.img file to pre-root it properly?

Is taking a working system.img file, unpacking it, adding su and busybox to system/xbin, then re-packing it sufficient? Or is there more to it?
JNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:09 AM   #373
toromand
toromand began at the beginning.

Device: Bouye T61, Prestigio PER3664
Why use ebook readers

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the useful information.

Finally, I don't have my Icarus any more. After a lot of investigation, I've decided to return it to the shop and test other ebook readers as well. But it appears that all readers I've tested have big limitations or are full of bugs, and I have had to return them to the shop as well. So currently I use my tablet to read my ebooks. Anyway, it seems that an Android based reader is the best choice for the versatility of the OS and the numerous apps, so if I need to buy a reader, I'll consider the Icarus again. But the bad thing is the battery. Android is very demanding and the big advantage of the ebook readers over the tablets - the battery - is unfortunately less important with Android based readers. It's why, currently, I prefer real tablets. The battery of my tablet is a problem too, and much more important, but why would I need an e-reader if I have a tablet that does a better job, despite the fact that the reader can be used longer without recharging the battery?

Anyway, I'm still interested in this thread, and I thank you again for the detailed replies to my questions.
I am still using my T61 (rooted, and with CPU clock control to make the battery life GREAT).
The another reason why the battery life is great is because I use it JUST for reading - not as a "tablet".
The idea of e-ink readers is not just about battery life - but about reading experience which is "paper like". It is much easier on the eyes for reading, especially on daylight. For me - tablet screen is a no-no for reading in sunlight.

Best regards
toromand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:09 AM   #374
rol
rol began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus Illumina E653
I agree that the "paper" of the e-readers is great. The tablet, indeed, is difficult to use in the sunlight. But I live in Belgium, where the sun is rare, and with the light at the maximum, my tablet is usually sufficient. And an e-reader is much smaller and easier to carry on, especially on holidays in the nature. As I wrote above, I'm still interested in an e-reader. I've been disappointed by the models and brands I've tested, but I continue to think that the concept is very interesting, and the Icarus is still my preferred brand.

I'm interested to know what app or mod you have used to restrict the CPU clock. Has it an influence on the e-reader app itself ? Is it sufficient to use something like Greenify ? And with your modifications, what is approximately the battery life ?

Last edited by rol; 08-19-2016 at 05:11 AM.
rol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:27 AM   #375
LeapFrog
LeapFrog began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62+
I purchased a T62+ from an AliExpress merchant. About Device says it is Model Boyue-T62E with kernel version 3.0.36+ dated Mon Aug 8 16:19:29 HKT 2016. Build number is Boyue-Ereader_V1.2.002016080818.

Purchased item:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/E-bo...355945772.html

I rooted the device and installed the (current Play store) version of AIReader which works great. Don't see any other issues with the device but I'm curious if this is a 'one-off' or a new release of the Boyue T62. Anyone else seen a T62E?

Last edited by LeapFrog; 09-19-2016 at 11:30 AM.
LeapFrog is offline   Reply With Quote