Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
IGraham
IGraham began at the beginning.

Device: none
User list of individual books ?

Hello
Another question
Don't think this should be under Categorys - might be wrong though
Categorys seems to work on tags so I could have a category of authors or whatever but not single books

Can I (in the left hand pain would be nice) have a list of books I'm reading or intend to read ? I know I can look at 'View' to see recent books which is half way to what I want but that changers if I look at other books.
Would be nice if I could right click a book and send to my list
IGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
No you can't add single books to a user category.

The closest you can get is to use the "Reading list" plugin, this gives you the ability to add single books to a list. However it won't achieve your second objective of being able to list them in the tag browser - you can only view the list in your main library view or in a popup modal dialog.

As an aside - perhaps one day the Tag browser could be expanded to allow something like the Reading List plugin to put its own lists in there as another extensibility point... if chaley spots this he may care to comment. I can appreciate it is likely a lot of work from his side and might be a non-starter but if you don't ask you don't get...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
IGraham

ok I've installed the list plugin, it works and it'll do
is there a way to restrict the showed list to only the books in the list rather than to have to select 'current search' - can 'current search' be set as default

and thanks for the help
Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just out of curiosity why do you want to restrict your library to the contents of a list? I'm curious.

To answer your question, not the only way to do it currently is as you have found of restriction changing the dropdown manually after viewing the list. So it is an extra click.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
IGraham

Quote:
Just out of curiosity why do you want to restrict your library to the contents of a list? I'm curious.
This is when i get that feeling that I've missed something

Having a list of certain books means i dont have to remember/search for those books i can go straight to the list and see my 'interesting' books.
A bit like wandering around a library and picking up those books to take home - because at the moment I'm only interested in those books - not the full library.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGraham View Post
This is when i get that feeling that I've missed something

Having a list of certain books means i dont have to remember/search for those books i can go straight to the list and see my 'interesting' books.
A bit like wandering around a library and picking up those books to take home - because at the moment I'm only interested in those books - not the full library.
That is what Tags and Saved searches are for.

Suppose you want to read a Fantasy book by David Weber:

With the Tag browser set to Match All (at the bottom)
Click the Author tag (now has a Green + )
Hold the control key down
and click Fantasy (another Green + )
Presto

don't want to red his Fantasy stuff, but anything else: Click the Fantasy again (Red - )

You can build your search from many elements and not be limited to looking at a simple sorted list (you can still sort the results if you want that)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
kiwidude

Yeah my curiosity was more around what activity you were doing in calibre that meant you thought applying a search restriction was necessary rather than just working with the search results. Since working with a list often implies the desire to add more books to it - which you can't do once you have applied a restriction...

The discussion of the tag browser from theDucks has reminded me of another solution to your original request. You can configure a reading list to apply a tag or set a custom column value when a book is added to a list (and remove it when the book is taken off it). So you could do that in combination with the tag browser to see the contents of a list by clicking on your specific tag name (or custom column if configured to display in the tag browser). So while your reading list name itself won't appear in the tag browser, an appropriately named tag or similar would give the same effect.