Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
bucknaked
bucknaked began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
what format to use best for iPad and...

Hi, my first post

couple of questions please

1. using an iPad, best format to change everything to?
2. is it recommended to drop into itunes and view in ebooks or is there some better app?
3. how do I retain my meta data, book summarys etc, I also want to retain the covers
4. noticed when I bulk transfered MOBI into ePub I was left with a folder containing both formats, the original MOBI and the ePub, surely I dont require both, how do I avoid this? Also I dont think my covers transfered across

sorry for so many questions
cheers
bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
Shawn_KY
Shawn_KY began at the beginning.

New here too, but I use ePub for the file type. Stanza for the Reader (it will connect to Stanza if you turn on the Content Server). Remove the extra files (if you wish) by selecting all of the books, right click, delete books and choose to keep files of the type you want.
Shawn_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:51 AM   #3
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
1. Epub is the preferred format for most iOS reader apps. However it would help if you specified what reader you were using. iBooks? Stanza? BlueFire? GoodReader? Sideloading Kindle? Since you didn't specify, I'll assume iBooks, but just be aware that there are more (and much, much better) readers on iPad than just iBooks.
2. If your target is iBooks, you can use Calibre's built-in "Connect to iTunes" option (in the Connect/Share toolbar dropdown). If your target is Stanza, it's best IMHO to use the Calibre content server and download books from within Stanza or you can drag and drop in iTunes via the app tray. If you're using Bluefire, you can navigate to bluefirereader://nav/transfer in Safari on your device and follow the on-screen instructions or you can drag and drop via itunes like Stanza. If you're side-loading Kindle, you probably need to jailbreak your device or google for it.
3. What do you mean "retain your metadata"? Are you using Calibre to organize your book collection, or just to convert formats? Anyway, I think the answer is to use Connect to iTunes to sync to iBooks or use the content server from reader apps that support it. If you have to manually drag the files into iTunes yourself, I guess you lose data?
4. Edit the book's entry in Calibre and delete the formats you don't need from the list in the top right. But why would you want to do that? Ebooks are cheap storage-space-wise, and it's a good idea to keep the original around in case you ever need to convert from it again.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknaked View Post
1. using an iPad, best format to change everything to?
ePub is preferred for iBooks, however if you have PDF books save yourself the headache and leave them as PDF files. PDF files often don't convert well and iBooks now reads PDFs.

Quote:
2. is it recommended to drop into itunes and view in ebooks or is there some better app?
3. how do I retain my meta data, book summarys etc, I also want to retain the covers
Using Connect to iTunes feature is the easiest option including maintaining metadata, read this thread.

Quote:
4. noticed when I bulk transfered MOBI into ePub I was left with a folder containing both formats, the original MOBI and the ePub, surely I dont require both, how do I avoid this?
You don't avoid it. If you want you can delete any format from a bunch of books via the bulk metadata edit window.

Quote:
Also I dont think my covers transfered across
What leads you to believe this?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Using Connect to iTunes feature is the easiest option including maintaining metadata, read this thread
You can also start calibre's server, open Safari in your iPad and point it to your calibre server.

Click on the epub button of the book and you'll get a prompt asking you if you want to open that book in iBooks. Click YES, and the epub is automatically added to your iBooks bookshelf.

Take a look at the calibre FAQ [Using iBooks]
paulfiera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
bucknaked
bucknaked began at the beginning.

thanks heaps for your advice and comments, sorry I dropped off the radar for a while
still messing about with this new media [for me]
found that using iBooks the EPUB format seemed better than the PDF, this was converting the same file from the Kindle MOBI
bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
Stumbl
Thread Killer
Stumbl began at the beginning.

What works for me is ePub and IBooks as well.
I have also found that if I reconverted from ePub to ePub, told it to maintain cover aspect ratio cos that looks better and insert meta data as first page it gives me results I like.
on the convert window, cover aspect ratio is on the ePub output tab and insert meta deta is on the structure detection tab.
The reason I don't choose PDF files is because ePub can reflow, so no scrolling issues if I increase the font.

Now, what would be very nice would be a calibre reader and or management program for the iPad. Alas, I don't own a Mac or know anything about the apple environment besides on this iPad that keeps auto correcting me.

Your mileage may vary!!
Stumbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbl View Post
this iPad that keeps auto correcting me.
I do not like auto correction, so I switch it off under Settings->General->Keyboard.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
Stumbl
Thread Killer
Stumbl began at the beginning.

thank you itimpi

I was just pretending to be funny is all *weg*
some of us is like dat!!
Stumbl is offline   Reply With Quote