Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Working with Fonts and Calibre

I'm working on a "Generate Cover" plugin which allows all sorts of customisation of a cover that gets generated. As part of that I wanted to offer the ability for the user to choose fonts for the rendering using magick of the title, author, series.

The issue is whether it is possible to make use of the QFontDialog as a UI for selecting a font to then pass to the drawing code in the magick namespace. As far as I can tell, the magick stuff takes a physical file path, whereas a QFontDialog gives you a QFont from which you get a font family.

Is there any suggested way of reconciling the two? In a cross platform way? I saw some code via Google which queried the registry for font matches but obviously that is a windows only option.

Or should I just use a file chooser dialog and get the user to navigate to a .ttf file instead?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Take a look at gui2.convert.mobi_output.py, I use a combo box there to list available fonts, that might be of some assistance.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The font file has to be read at some point to populate the font dialog. I would first look to see if QFont stores the file path. Then I would look at the Qt source to see how it loads the font list. It would have to handle it per platform and might have some cross platform method.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys.

@user_none - I found a feature request on the web for QFont to have this info and it was rejected by the devs as not worth the effort. My reading of what is going on is that Qt deals with the font abstractions it is passed by other layered components underneath, so it doesn't actually know the file path. So I think I will abandon QFontDialog - I think if I used the Qt drawing ability it would be useful but I'm trying not to start from scratch on the image stuff.

@GRiker - thanks for pointing me at that font combo, I'll try to figure out some sort of UI using similar code.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's already a tweak to specify the font paths. If you want a UI for the tweak, use the FontFamilyModel from gui2.widgets, see the lrf output or mobi output plugins for an example.

Qt doesn't make paths to fonts available, because of DRM (windows tries to prevent programs from accessing font data unless they have the embed bit set).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
kiwidude

Thx Kovid, yeah I have seen the tweaks for covers. Originally I wasn't going to bother with offering font choices at all since they existed. However I wanted both more granularity and also to not force users to have to go through separate dialogs/calibre restarts to switch a font. I still will fallback to respecting that value if the user does not bother in my plugin.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
kiwidude

All working now, thanks for the pointers guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2_Configuration.png
Views:	536
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	67806  
Old 03-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That looks awesome, looking forward to trying it.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
All working now, thanks for the pointers guys.
Wow!
Now if I only had artistic TALENT

Got a plug-in for that?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote