Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What should be translated first?
Les aventures de Harv et Véra au Panama 5 55.56%
L'affaire du coprolithe doré 4 44.44%
Suggested oddities 4 44.44%
Portugal 3 33.33%
Germany 3 33.33%
The blue one next to the fish 5 55.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Translating MR stories

Hello all!

As I mentioned earlier, I want to start translating some of the stories written on MR threads, or written by MR members. I planned to create a poll to ask your well informed opinion on where I should begin, so in the last few days, I have been wandering (mindlessly?) in the Lounge and in the Writer's Corner, looking for elements to integrate in the poll. So far, besides Germany, Portugal and The Blue One Next To The Fish, I only have three options:

-Les Aventures de Harv et Véra au Panama
-L'affaire du Coprolithe Doré
-Suggested Oddities ("Curiosités suggérées"? ishhh...it lacks style. Maybe it could simply be "Histoires étranges", but I'm still thinking over that title)

I already love those stories and will tackle them shortly, but need your input on other sharable creations that are in store on MR. So many great ideas were formed here, I would hate to overlook them! Please, share here your favorite links and your best memories of the past threads, and I'll turn them into a poll!

Thank you!

edit: I'm looking for stories that where mostly common projects, or that many members can relate to, which is why I have not selected some short stories from the Writer's Corner, but feel free to add them to the list!

Last edited by Verencat; 05-29-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i can't wait to read Les Aventures de Harv et Véra au Panama myself.

(what ? still no poll ???)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Well, here's a poll! (took me a while to figure out how to do it - and it's really simple...)

Any other suggestions will be added to the poll!
Old 05-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I can't vote in the poll, because I'm in it.

Feel free to translate "The Case of The Golden Coprolite". Red should be portrayed as a, well, is there a French equivalent of a Texan? Read the Concordance to try to translate some of the cultural in-jokes. "What is the cheapest, worst tasting, common wine in France?" or Corsica for Chicago, ect.

Oh, yes, the translation needs to be public domain, just like the original...RSE
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
Verencat
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I can't vote in the poll, because I'm in it.

Feel free to translate "The Case of The Golden Coprolite". Red should be portrayed as a, well, is there a French equivalent of a Texan? Read the Concordance to try to translate some of the cultural in-jokes. "What is the cheapest, worst tasting, common wine in France?" or Corsica for Chicago, ect.

Oh, yes, the translation needs to be public domain, just like the original...RSE
I don't think you should be prevented to vote, nor to suggest other projects you find interesting. In elections, everyone gets to vote!

Red will remain a Texan! There is no way I can change his nature, I won't spoil your main character. As for cultural references, I don't expect to modify them, unless they imply word play. Your work as a unique flavor, and I really enjoyed your writing, I hope I will do it justice.

The translation will be public domain, don't doubt it! I want to do this for fun, to make stories more accessible to the French users of MR - and also to widen my skills... Literary translation is a closed field in Québec, but it's also what appeals to me the most, hence translating on MR gets me closer to my goal.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i agree, rse ! you should vote.

verencat, i like your approach. i agree that a translation should strive to capture the original essence of the work without denaturing it, unless the goal is to make an adaptation instead of a translation. but i have to admit, i have no idea how you are going to manage these translations ! i can't wait to read them.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i agree, rse ! you should vote.

verencat, i like your approach. i agree that a translation should strive to capture the original essence of the work without denaturing it, unless the goal is to make an adaptation instead of a translation. but i have to admit, i have no idea how you are going to manage these translations ! i can't wait to read them.
It's called modesty...I really don't feel right about voting. Let the fans decide, not the writers...

Zelda, if the Red story gets chosen, would you like to do a French cover, and maybe a little intro, to the French speaking readers...

The third story won't be gotten to until late next week. I'm scheduled to be in San Antonio for the Society of Interactive Displays (SID) convention Sunday through Wednesday, with a press pass from MobileRead. I hope to post each evening my notes here.... I don't think I'll get to see the Pixel Qui screen, as it is only in a private showing, and my press pass only goes so far.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I'm with Ralph on this one And also, if you do translate my stuff I'll do alternate covers in french when you're ready
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Are we supposed to be able to see who voted what?

EDIT: Weird, once I voted I could no longer see who voted what. Earlier when I clicked on 'veiw poll' it showed me everyone who'd voted. Is this a bug?

Last edited by Moejoe; 05-30-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

i couldn't decide so i voted for the ones which hadn't any votes yet (when i voted). now all three are still tied ! i don't know if this poll will really help you choose just one... maybe you should just close your eyes, make a few circles with your finger, and point, and whichever it lands on, that is the one you start with !
Old 05-31-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
Verencat
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i couldn't decide so i voted for the ones which hadn't any votes yet (when i voted). now all three are still tied ! i don't know if this poll will really help you choose just one... maybe you should just close your eyes, make a few circles with your finger, and point, and whichever it lands on, that is the one you start with !
Just did that, and I landed on my cat... what does it mean?

edit: not what I meant: I pointed my cat, did not fall on him
Old 05-31-2009, 12:00 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
Just did that, and I landed on my cat... what does it mean?
what ? why would you do that ??? poor kitty !

Quote:
edit: not what I meant: I pointed my cat, did not fall on him
ouf, what a relief ! i was worried.

what does it mean... i suppose it means you have to determine which story your cat would like to read first. or which story your cat is in (there is a cat in the red stories : Mrs. Slocum. is that your cat ?). or which story your cat has already started translating, so you can copy from his work. why not just ask your cat what it means ? i'm not a mind reader over here !