Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #46
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
You'd run the risk of me forgetting it. I ain't no Spring chicken anymore! Just put your two cents in the thread each month, and I'll collect it while I check the tally.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #47
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'll third Major Award Winners, even though I'm not entirely clear how it differs from Award Winners... Still seems like a worthy contender.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #48
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Well that's very ambitious of you. I hope this all goes well.

In the meantime can I pre-program a nomination for Indie for every month until the end of the year or whenever it wins a vote, whichever comes first?

I am curious. Do you have some sort of definition of "Indie" in mind? I assume it would have to mean contemporary, but what else? Self-published?
Old 11-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #49
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'll third Major Award Winners, even though I'm not entirely clear how it differs from Award Winners... Still seems like a worthy contender.
I'm glad you've chosen that! Hopefully John F will come back to the thread and elaborate on his nomination. I'm hoping the two can be merged into one.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #50
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
My head is beginning to ache from this ...
Some of these new possible categories - Modern Fiction and Award Winners so far - can be interpreted in different ways that make them almost completely different categories depending on how one interprets them.

"Anything goes award winners" and "major non-genre award winners" are two very different possible categories.

"Any book in any genre modern fiction" and "More realistic dramatic plots modern fiction" are two very different possible categories.

I'm taking the time to point out these things because I think others may assume either of these categories is going to be one thing and then it might end up being not just a little different but very different to what they expected. Better to try to make it clear in the beginning than for people to be disappointed over what a category actually means afterwards.

In this situation, I think the best thing for anyone to do before supporting those categories is to assume the definition they'd least like to be used will be.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #51
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm glad you've chosen that! Hopefully John F will come back to the thread and elaborate on his nomination. I'm hoping the two can be merged into one.
I support a merge if John F meant the same thing as the other category. Also, while John F is at it, he could also tell us what he means by "modern fiction".

I think it kind of worked out serendipitously that the first month is the month that is probably least likely of all to change. It makes this sort of a dry run and lets us work out some of the kinks with some of these new possible categories.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #52
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Take that up with sun surfer.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #53
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I am curious. Do you have some sort of definition of "Indie" in mind? I assume it would have to mean contemporary, but what else? Self-published?
I mean self-published - independent from traditional publishing houses etc..

It's a bit of a platform for me. Power to the people and all that crap. I just changed my title so my biases are more open.

I love traditionally published authors too of course.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #54
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Take that up with sun surfer.
If I haven't made it clear already, then I don't know how I ever will.

Last edited by sun surfer; 11-10-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #55
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I mean self-published - independent from traditional publishing houses etc.
Self-pub only, or small publishing companies? It's sometimes hard to tell those apart these days. "Indie" is often used for publishing houses with no connection to the big conglomerates.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:32 AM   #56
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Self-pub only, or small publishing companies? It's sometimes hard to tell those apart these days. "Indie" is often used for publishing houses with no connection to the big conglomerates.
I agree - and it can make it difficult from the point of view of my review site as well.

Quote:
The book needs to be published independently, or through a small or token publisher. I will determine what is small or token on a case by case basis.
I put this in my review policies - so you can see even with a site dedicated to independent authors I'm still a bit vague on what "indie" is in that regard.

It's quite possible to narrow the definition for the sake of the book club if it's desirable - although given what the book club has been like I doubt it's really going to prevent petty arguments.

For my site, I didn't want to define too specifically in case I was excluding publishers which were just a group of self-published authors banding together for support and branding.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #57
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post

"Anything goes award winners" and "major non-genre award winners" are two very different possible categories. ...
I was leaning towards the latter, but like the "Major award winner" better. But don't want to completely rule out a major award winner that is also a major genre award winners. Genre major award winners may be frowned upon, but I wouldn't rule them out completely. Let the voting decide.

Quote:
... "Any book in any genre modern fiction" and "More realistic dramatic plots modern fiction" are two very different possible categories. ...
I was thinking more towards the latter. Stuff that doesn't fit neatly into any of the other categories. For example, if something like The Master and Margarita was written recently, I don't think we should dismiss it offhand.

Quote:
... In this situation, I think the best thing for anyone to do before supporting those categories is to assume the definition they'd least like to be used will be.
I assume the opposite. I think everyone will do the "right" thing. Let the voting decide.

For example, we haven't needed a clarification of what "classic" means.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #58
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I was leaning towards the latter, but like the "Major award winner" better. But don't want to completely rule out a major award winner that is also a major genre award winners. Genre major award winners may be frowned upon, but I wouldn't rule them out completely. Let the voting decide.
As I don't pay attention to awards (which is why the category interests me) ... Which definition of the two would give us the most variety? I'm assuming that if said book won an award of any kind, then it is the best of its like, which sounds like a good reason to give it a go, whatever it is.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #59
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
For example, we haven't needed a clarification of what "classic" means.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Classic is impossible to define properly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote