Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Gift Card Amazon

This may be an odd question but can I purchase a gift card for myself on Amazon and redeem it against ebook purchases?

I want to limit myself to a certain amount to spend on ebooks every month and I think this would be a good way to control what I'm spending.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Yes, you can do that.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Thank you that sounds like that will be a good way of moderating myself as I'm terrible with book spending!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
I was planning to do that myself, not for budgeting reasons, but to avoid a bunch of small charges going on my credit card and getting a call from my bank's fraud prevention department about it. I'd rather buy gift cards and have my eBook purchases deducted from them.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Mike 01Hawk
Enthusiast
Mike 01Hawk doesn't litterMike 01Hawk doesn't litter

Device: K3 Wifi Graphite :)
Can't you also limit your purchases within your Kindle Acct?
Mike 01Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenRunner View Post
I was planning to do that myself, not for budgeting reasons, but to avoid a bunch of small charges going on my credit card and getting a call from my bank's fraud prevention department about it. I'd rather buy gift cards and have my eBook purchases deducted from them.
Good point - it's already happened to me once and was a bit of a pain as the automated call came late at night when I was settling down in bed to read!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
TheKindleWorm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 01Hawk View Post
Can't you also limit your purchases within your Kindle Acct?
I don't know to be honest but I don't want to limit my spending in other areas - just ebooks.

I mean I buy lots of things from Amazon including shoes, music and toys for my daughter so don't want to limit that spending. Just books that I really get carried away with!

If I get a gift card and spend it at the start of each month then that will be my limit - going to have to be strict with myself.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:40 AM   #8
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
That's a really good idea and I might think about doing this myself - I have lots of books to read already but sometimes the temptation is too great!
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I do it. That way I know that any E-book purchase will be automatically deducted from the outstanding balance. I also turn of my CC for Internet purchases, so I can't even accidentally go over my limit.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #10
daroga
Enthusiast
daroga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I do it. That way I know that any E-book purchase will be automatically deducted from the outstanding balance. I also turn of my CC for Internet purchases, so I can't even accidentally go over my limit.
That's the one thing to watch. Amazon seamlessly uses up your GC balance and gets the remainder of the order from your CC. So you still will have to be somewhat disciplined in the matter.
daroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Great idea.

I'm still adjusting to my "retired" budget. My books category seems to be the easiest to get out of hand. And should be the easiest to control.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Wow !
Good points !
Will have to speak to my bank about this, cause having my CC locked would be a disaster.
Thanks all !

Edit < UPS! (no pun intended) the newbie forgot the Karma concept - have been assigned.
Thanks for the reminder, captkjaneway. >

Last edited by pchrist7; 08-27-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #13
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Fab idea - have some Karma!
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
TheKindleWorm
Guru

Thank you

Mind you it took a while to work out the gift card process. I set up a new delivery address for myself and applied no payment method to it, then assigned my one-click payments (ebooks) to it. Sounds convoluted but it worked!
Old 08-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
You can do this, but keep in mind if you make other purchases from Amazon you can't use one-click, because it will use up any gift card balance first. You need to go through the checkout process for other purchases.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote