Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #16
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
I couldn't find a sleeve I liked so I just decided to crochet one, leaving enough room to allow for a case to be used. It was more of a scrap project while I wait for my kindle to come tomorrow. I made the sleeve leaving both front and back pockets on the inside open so that I can insert a hard plastic strip into when I get a chance and then pad it with whatever I happen to have laying around. I also made two pocket on the inside flap to put my ID cards, and debit cards into, as well as a large pocket in the back to store whatever else happens to come up. for the clasp I used an old necklace flower that was no longer of use to me. Not the prettiest thing but it gets the job done. My son has autism and if the kindle is not in a bag of some kind it will be take apart to build something else very quickly (yes we have to hide all of our appliances and lock up the computers in my house ). As far as dyes go, I always buy the clear matte plastic at JoAnn's and sew a quick cover to go the actual ereader. It also offer a little protection again accidental water spills, rain, etc. The whole project runs around 7.00. At takes around an hour or so to complete. I can send ya the pattern if you would like.

It's Lovely, great to see people using thier skills whilst patiently waiting for thier Kindle

Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #17
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I still prefer a well padded sleeve for my DXG. I'm extremely careful when it is out of the sleeve. *If* I could find a case as sleek as the Sony cases then I might change my mind. That is one of the very nice aspects of the Sony 505 and 600, the case is light and unobtrusive.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #18
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
It seems like JSWolf always has to complain about reading an e-ink device naked. If he doesn't want to that is fine but it a personal decision for the person owning the device. And breaking a $140 device isn't the same as it was a couple of years ago when kindles cost $400. I read my kindle with out a case for reading but have a protective sleeve. Never had a problem or a scratch.

I would recommend for sleeve type cases for Kindle 3 when they are available Octovo because it a hard shell or www.sfbags.com. They will have them available for preorder in a week or 2 and they have lovely sleeves that are very well made and protective. One has a backpocket for your charger if you want. And they provides extra protection for the screen over what a neoprene case alone would.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #19
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I think this will be perfect for you. I bought one for my Kindle DX (mainly due to size and weight, because my Cybook has a case/cover).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXZ0CdEbvJ0
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #20
daroga
Enthusiast
daroga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the additional info everyone!

The SFBags one looks really nice. Going to have to weigh that and the Octovo for now.
daroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #21
sylviebi
Connoisseur
sylviebi is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, DSi xl, 3DS, iPod, Playbbok
Here is my sleeve. It's my own design...

Thanks for looking,
Sylvie
Sleepless in Ontario (until my kindle arrives)
PS: The cardboard is my Kindle model... lol

Last edited by sylviebi; 04-26-2011 at 11:31 AM.
sylviebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #22
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by daroga View Post
Hi everyone!

I've got a K3 WiFi on order, and I'm super excited to get it. The near-month wait is killer, but it's part of my plan to read more and waste less time watching TV / mindlessly surfing the internet, so I'm excited. For the time being, I have some real paper (!) books to read.

Anyway, I'm going to want a case for it, but I don't want something where the Kindle will be attached or held in. I'm pretty sure that I'll want to take the Kindle out by itself to read it, and have it in the case for storage/transport.

Obviously, cases for K3 are going to be slim for a while yet, but I wondered based on experience on accessories for other Kindle devices, what would someone recommend as far as a nice price for a sleeve that would have some protection for the device when its inside (and maybe carry the charger, etc), but also is very easy to get the reader out to use it "naked."

Just looking for older models to look at, or at least companies to keep an eye on as they develop their K3 accessories.

Thanks!

This is the one that i use. i added a plastic screen guard (cut from the front of a dvd case).
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #23
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

This is the one that i use. i added a plastic screen guard (cut from the front of a dvd case).
--
Alan
Looks ugly

But hey, if it had a zipper all around, so that you could take the "front" off, your kindle would just lay relaxed on your hand, and be much easier to hold
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #24
jpkkld
jpkkld is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jpkkld is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jpkkld is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jpkkld is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jpkkld is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jpkkld is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jpkkld is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jpkkld is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jpkkld is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jpkkld is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jpkkld is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daroga View Post
A nicely padded, zippered pouch (to ensure pressure protection as well as not flying out of the sleeve if moved suddenly) seems to be the best of both worlds for what I'm looking for.
That was what I wanted to, and I looked and LOOKED and never found just the right sleeve.

So I had to make one. It's something like the crocheted one on page 1, with some major additions. My sleeve is well padded with many layers of fleece inside. I also wanted something to transfer any force from a sharp edge (think "things in my purse"), so I incorporated 2 more "pockets into the top edge. I cut up a heavy-duty plastic file folder and slipped Kindle-size pieces into each of the "faces. The kindle goes into the center pocket. To illustrate, the layers go like this:

Calico cotton
Fleece (2 or 3 layers)
Plastic
Fleece (2 or 3 layers)
Calico
KINDLE
Calico
Fleece (2-3 layers)
Plastic
Fleece (2-3 layers)
Calico

It's still pretty sleek too - all that fleece squished down nicely. And I can take out the plastic and wash the whole thing too. I used a button for the flap, but a zipper would have worked too.

It took a few hours. If I could have bought it, I would have!
jpkkld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #25
alanvcd
alanvcd began at the beginning.

Device: Jinke V3+, Kindle DX
Maybe it will be very bulky for many of you, but I have just purchased a wooden case from Taobao for my DX and it arrived this morning. Very nice piano black finishing and craftmanship. I bought this because I have a bad experience of breaking my Jinke V3+ screen before buying the DX.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC00211.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	70633

Name:	PIC00212.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	70634

Name:	PIC00213.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	70635

(*the date of the photos is wrong as photos are taken from my real old Atom Life cellphone )

I feel so happy for the purchase and so I googled about KINDLE dx and wooden case and found here.

Good forum indeed!

Just like to share this with you and happy reading!

(and for the price, only around 23 usd....it's crazy, but i dunno if shipper will ship overseas or not, I'm in Hong Kong)
alanvcd is offline   Reply With Quote