Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
chicagofilms
chicagofilms began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
[Old Thread] epub-fix

Can anyone explain a bit more about this? What it does & how to use it?

For instance, will it remove fixed font colors? I'm finding that most of my huge collection of books have the font color set as black & that means in Stanza on iPad, I can't use night mode.

I tried running it on one of my books & just got: OPF contains date 2010-04-16 00:00:00-05:00 that epubcheck does not like

The utility did not seem to do anything else.

My primary goal is an easy way to fix my books that have fixed font colors, styles, etc.

thanks
chicagofilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you read the description in the Release Notes?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
At the moment it only fixes errors that can cause publishing services to reject epubs. To have it actually fix things you have to run it like this

epub-fix --unmanifested --epubcheck file.epub

Run

epub-fix -h

for details on what it will fix.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
chicagofilms

You mean this:

New tool to help prepare EPUBs for publication
"calibre now contains a new command line tool called epub-fix that can automatically fix common problems in EPUB files that cause them to be rejected by poorly designed publishing services. The tool is plugin based for extensible functionality in the future. Currently, it can fix unmanifested files and workaround the date and svg preserveaspectratio bugs of epubcheck."

It's not very helpful to me. For instance, is my issue a "common problem in EPUB files that cause them to be rejected by poorly designed publishing services"? I don't know. Is the font issue I have the result of "unmanifested files"? I don't know.

I just read books, I don't know all the technical aspects behind creating them. Calibre does all the work for me (Thanks kovidgoyal!). Beyond dropping files in there & converting to epub, I really am not proficient in file formats.

That's why I'm asking for help & more info. Thanks though.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
chicagofilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
At the moment it only fixes errors that can cause publishing services to reject epubs. To have it actually fix things you have to run it like this

epub-fix --unmanifested --epubcheck file.epub

Run

epub-fix -h

OK, thanks.
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 04:44 AM   #6
Mike2753
Mike2753 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kovid,

Can you please clarify this in more details

epub-fix --unmanifested --epubcheck file.epub.

Actually I did not understood this path and how I can resolve the unmanifested issues from the epub file.

Many Thanks
Mike
Mike2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just run that command, it will fix unmanifested fiels for you
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
Mike2753
Mike2753 began at the beginning.

epub-fix

Quote:
Just run that command, it will fix unmanifested fiels for you
Kovid,

Thank you for your reply. As i am a newbie, i am really finding it difficult. Is it possible for you to sent few screenshots out here on how to run that command. It will really be a big help.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2753 View Post
As i am a newbie, i am really finding it difficult. Is it possible for you to sent few screenshots out here on how to run that command. It will really be a big help.
Probably fewer than one in 10,000 of Calibre's users will ever need to use that command and I'd guess the percentage is even lower for newbies. Why do you think you need it? It's not a magic epub fixing program. It handles a few very specific errors.

I'm not trying to be a pain. I'll help you run it if you can explain why you need it. Basically, you run it via the command line, and if you aren't sure what that means, or how to get to the command line, I find it hard to believe you are familiar with the technical details of manifests in an EPUB.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
SomeNewGuy
SomeNewGuy began at the beginning.

Can you pleas explain to me, absolute beginner, how to use epub-fix? I don`t even know where is it and how to do it. I`m using Calibre 7.75.
SomeNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeNewGuy View Post
Can you pleas explain to me, absolute beginner, how to use epub-fix? I don`t even know where is it and how to do it. I`m using Calibre 7.75.
Calibre 0.7.75? Just so you know the latest release is 0.7.59. This Friday should see the release of 0.8.0.

Anyways you can find epub-fix.exe in calibre's program directory. Open up a command prompt window and run as stated below to see what it will fix.

Quote:
Run

epub-fix -h

More info can be found in this section of the manual.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #12
SomeNewGuy

Thanks I`ll try that, this is the one I found on their site
Old 05-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
SomeNewGuy

OK I have one problem. I guess I need more help with this. I don`t think that I still know how this works. I started the RUN and typed epub-fix -h, but it`s didn`t fixed it. I just need for the ePUB to pass validation, just that. If there is any other way, I`ll try it.

Last edited by SomeNewGuy; 05-06-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
OK I have one problem. I guess I need more help with this. I don`t think that I still know how this works. I started the RUN and typed epub-fix -h, but it`s didn`t fixed it. I just need for the ePUB to pass validation, just that. If there is any other way, I`ll try it.
If you want your ePub to pass validation I would seek help on the specific issues you're having with the ePub in the forum for the validation tool you're using or in either the Sigil forum or the ePub forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #15
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
epub-fix -h just gives you help on how to use it. It doesn't fix anything until you specify the book to be fixed. If you ran it directly from the run command, it would have given the help and closed immediately.

Here's what it would have said:
Code:
Usage: epub-fix.exe [options] file.epub

Fix common problems in EPUB files that can cause them to be rejected by poorly designed publishing services.

By default, no fixing is done and messages are printed out for each error detect
ed. Use the options to control which errors are automatically fixed.

Whenever you pass arguments to epub-fix.exe that have spaces in them, enclose the arguments in quotation marks.

Options:
  --version             show program's version number and exit

-h, --help            show this help message and exit

--unmanifested        Fix unmanifested files. epub-fix can either add them
                        to the manifest or delete them as specified by the
                        delete unmanifested option.

--delete-unmanifested
                        Delete unmanifested files instead of adding them to
                        the manifest

--epubcheck           Workarounds for bugs in the latest release of
                        epubcheck. epubcheck reports many things as errors
                        that are not actually errors. epub-fix will try to
                        detect these and replace them with constructs that
                        epubcheck likes. This may cause significant changes to
                        your epub, complain to the epubcheck project.

Created by Kovid Goyal <kovid@kovidgoyal.net>
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote