Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
600 Display Question - not about glare!

I've had my silver 600 for about 3 days and although it does have some glare, generally I'm quite happy with my new toy.
However, I just realized that on the right hand side of the screen there seems to have line ( like border), and seems like the line gets slightly thicker as you go up to the right hand corner. No line on the left side..
just wondering if others have the same line. is it done on purpose to give a book page feel? or is it just my 600?
did not notice it until now and curious if it was there before or just developed....

although insignificant , it's started to annoy me, w

Last edited by lev; 09-24-2009 at 07:15 AM.
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
Mine has an even border on the right when reading. Not in the menus though.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

hmm..mine has it even when turned off. i can still see the line..
now I'm thinking it might be the screen just a tad crooked..
Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
I'll double-check when I get to it later. Maybe I'm wrong.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
It's just the edge of the screen. Most of the Sony units have this, some more noticeable than others. I have the dark blue 505, so I never noticed it on mine, but it's there.

If it really starts to get to you, get a skin for it that is dark and it'll blend in.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Doesn't show up at all on the black 600. I guess it just blends into the case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
hmm..mine has it even when turned off. i can still see the line..
now I'm thinking it might be the screen just a tad crooked..
Does it look like this? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...55&postcount=1

I had this 9 months ago on my new iRex 1000S. It has been a so called "line error" and I had to send it in.
On my (red) Sony 600, there's kind of a frame (maybe 0.2mm thick, about 0.3mm from the edge) on both sides and top and down.
If you just see it on one side, it sounds more like a defect to me, especially as it's getting thicker to the top. And you shouldn't see it at all, when the unit is turned off.
Was the same on my iRex 1000S though. Visible even when turned off.
And: The line was changing colors. In a text book, it was black. In a black graphic, it was white. And someone in this forum did explain to me, that "line errors" always would appear vertically.

I've wondered like you, whether the "line error" on my iRex 1000S might be intentional. As you say, to make it more "book like".
But still: Any kind of feature wouldn't be visible, when your reader is turned off. When the line doesn't disappear, when turned off, my only explanation would be the defect described.

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-24-2009 at 10:16 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Lev, do you have a picture? Either I don't have it on any of my readers or I just can't figure out what you're talking about.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The black border is just outer frame of the screen (outside of the 600x800 area) which is visible if the E-Ink panel is not precisely aligned.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2172951...7603454047408/
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
A similar question was recently posed regarding the PRS-505 screen.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...der#post585015
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
lev
Zealot

Thanks for the reply everyone. looks like it is a problem with alignment. here are some shots I took, and then zoomed in so you can see the line better..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4753.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	36423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4754.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	36424   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4755.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	36425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4756.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	36426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4759.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	36427  
Old 09-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #12
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My 505 had a similar problem as yours but going in the opposite direction. The broder got thinner as it approached the top right corner. I ended up returning my 505 and getting another one from the same store but located at a different location. The border on the new unit also suffers the same problem but to a lesser degree.

I think Sony needs to improve on their manufacturing process. I've read in other threads about people complaining about the screen coming with dust specs in between the touch and screen layers. Not sure how crooked screen and dusts are passing their QC/QA.

It could've been a bad batch of readers that got through since I think some people have even borders.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #13
lev
Zealot

I don't think I can return it just for that as I bought it through internet...much more difficult to explain online without actually showing it to staff..

but yeah, makes one wonder about sony QC...
Old 09-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Perhaps you could get in touch with Sony directly and they will exchange it out for you. Fortunately, on my readers, I can only see the edge of the screen when I tilt it so I'm looking slightly under the edge, at least on the 700 because of the side lighting. On my 600 it's pretty aligned right to the edge of the screen on both sides. My 505 is "out of town traveling" so I can't check that one, but I don't recall seeing any part of the screen misaligned.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
Thanks for the reply everyone. looks like it is a problem with alignment. here are some shots I took, and then zoomed in so you can see the line better..
Pshaw, that's nuthin

Honestly I'm suprised you noticed it. I didn't notice it on my 505 until someone pointed it out on their unit. But when I'm in a book, I'm in it, you know?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote