Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #1216
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy88 View Post
Could someone explain how I could "Mirror" my Calibre Library on Dropbox.
That's very easy! Open your Calibre, go to "Preferences", and click on "Run welcome wizard". You will see the current location of your Calibre library there. Just press the "Change" button, and select a new folder for your Calibre library, but it must be a folder inside your Dropbox. That's it! If you need more help, just ask. Here's a good article covering this: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/combine...access-ebooks/

PS: Of course, your Dropbox must be large enough to hold your entire Calibre library folder. Even if your free Dropbox (or SugarSync, Box.net, etc.) isn't quite big enough, paid Dropbox/SugarSync/etc. plans are pretty affordable. (I currently have 10.4 free GB in my Dropbox thanks to referrals from the past.)
Old 04-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #1217
andy88
Enthusiast
andy88 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
Two pages back in this very thread. (Please do take the time to use the search function...)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1184 (and the following few posts).
Thanks ! Appreciate it.
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 03:25 AM   #1218
andy88
Enthusiast
andy88 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
That's very easy! Open your Calibre, go to "Preferences", and click on "Run welcome wizard". You will see the current location of your Calibre library there. Just press the "Change" button, and select a new folder for your Calibre library, but it must be a folder inside your Dropbox. That's it! If you need more help, just ask. Here's a good article covering this: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/combine...access-ebooks/

PS: Of course, your Dropbox must be large enough to hold your entire Calibre library folder. Even if your free Dropbox (or SugarSync, Box.net, etc.) isn't quite big enough, paid Dropbox/SugarSync/etc. plans are pretty affordable. (I currently have 10.4 free GB in my Dropbox thanks to referrals from the past.)
I have created a Mirror of my Calibre Library on Dropbox.

Thank you very much. Appreciate it a lot.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #1219
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Just some scene-setting - the point of the Dropbox public folder is that it's contents are available to anyone with the right URL and the reports were about situations where the user's URLs had been shared & become generally known. The problem is that to use an OPDS feed, you need to access a server, which can be Calibre itself on your local network, but from elsewhere, an easy option is to use a Dropbox public folder containing the files that calibre2opds creates/copies, as long as you don't share your personal URL to your index.xml.

There are other options, but they're more techie... For instance, I have my firewall set to allow connections to a RasberryPi (a tiny low power computer) that's serving a copy of my Calibre db via a calibre-server process, so I can download books when I'm out away from home.
I was following just fine until the highlighted bit - I have excellent superficial computer knowledge, but then... Share my personal URL with who? Or is it where? And since I don't know what my index.xml is... Okay, maybe my superficial computer knowledge isn't all that excellent.

You see my problem?? I'm fine with how things are though, so I think I'm good. Sometimes my curiosity gets me in too deep... Sounds like, though, that since my Calibre library isn't in my public folder, I can safely do the OPDS catalog option in Marvin, adding .opds to the end of the link to my local Calibre folder. 1xx.xxx.x.xxx:8080/opds (Thanks to Faterson for that tip!) It's a nicer way to look for things when I'm home.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #1220
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
How would we summarize all the feature requests/and things that Kris has addressed so far that haven't been finalized yet? I could add it to the first page if that helps since it's a pretty big thread now.
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #1221
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
as long as you don't share your personal URL to your index.xml.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
I was following just fine until the highlighted bit - I have excellent superficial computer knowledge, but then...:blink: Share my personal URL with who?
That simply means you shouldn't share the link to your ebooks with others as that would potentially lead to ebook piracy.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #1222
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Really great to see collections and full epub metadata support in Marvin. Marvin's way, way better than Stanza now. Now, all I need is an iPhone/iPod Touch compatible version and iCloud syncing and it'll be perfect.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:46 AM   #1223
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
I was following just fine until the highlighted bit - I have excellent superficial computer knowledge, but then... Share my personal URL with who? Or is it where? And since I don't know what my index.xml is... Okay, maybe my superficial computer knowledge isn't all that excellent.

You see my problem?? I'm fine with how things are though, so I think I'm good. Sometimes my curiosity gets me in too deep... Sounds like, though, that since my Calibre library isn't in my public folder, I can safely do the OPDS catalog option in Marvin, adding .opds to the end of the link to my local Calibre folder. 1xx.xxx.x.xxx:8080/opds (Thanks to Faterson for that tip!) It's a nicer way to look for things when I'm home.

Thanks!
These instructions written by Jane Litte on DearAuthor explain about creating a Dropbox library and then an OPDS catalog in nice simple steps - you will see from them what the index.xml file is. Personally I find this a brilliant way to access my books when I am away from home. Nobody else knows the url except me.

http://romance-around-the-corner.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 04-19-2013, 03:57 AM   #1224
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I've never noticed the floating book title on the opening screen before... is this fancy stuff really necessary? I can see the current book right up there... just curious. And is there a way to switch it off?
Old 04-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #1225
institute
Enthusiast
institute is on a distinguished road

Device: ipad
I think that "fancy stuff" is called design and I like it. It is hardly baroque in its effect (and I am a minimalist). I do think it only started moving after the last update.

Last edited by institute; 04-19-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #1226
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I thought it was an awesome effect! It doesn't interfere with the page or Marvin functions in any way....and it works...so why complain??
Old 04-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #1227
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
kyteflyer, which title is floating?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #1228
institute
Enthusiast

I think he means the gray watermark of the book cover on the home page.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #1229
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Oh. That animation takes over 16 seconds to "move" from one corner to the other. Is it so prominent?

I added it because it "reveals more of the cover" and think it's quite "interesting". If the vast majority hate it, I'll add a switch to turn it off.

Yes, it was introduced in the last version.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #1230
institute
Enthusiast

I like it.
Closed Thread