Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Anyone have a Chromebook? How's it working for you? Ebook Reader apps?

I keep being tempted by the chromebooks -- particularly the $200 Asus one.
of course the Samsung one looks great for a bit more money.

Anyone here use a chromebook regularly? What are your impressions?
Any ebook applications?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I keep being tempted by the chromebooks -- particularly the $200 Asus one.
of course the Samsung one looks great for a bit more money.

Anyone here use a chromebook regularly? What are your impressions?
Any ebook applications?
Ditto kennyc's query. Are their hidden costs? What about printing? Can I see and access my home network drives?
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Any ebook applications?
Go here for available apps -- Chrome Web Store - Books

Available Book Apps
  • Google Play Books
  • Kindle Cloud Reader
  • Kobo Instant Reader
Not Available
  • Nook
  • OverDrive Media Console
  • Sony Reader
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Only the cloud reader is available for Kindle? So you have to have internet access to read? Ugh.

Last edited by ucfgrad93; 12-04-2012 at 10:55 AM.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well that's the whole deal with a chromebook, it does not have (much) local storage. It's intended to work on the network, cloud apps and storage etc. The network IS the computer as Bill Joy once said.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-04-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
But if you lose internet, you've got nothing.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
kennyc

Hey Look: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...oehfinjmpmjaoa

Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Then it's not for you.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's Monkey Zuma
Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
To me, computers are worthless without the internet
Old 12-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I have a Chromebook. I haven't tried to print yet. But from what I know about it, you can use printers that are connected to the internet, some new printers connect to the network rather than to the computer. Also, if you have a computer, such as a desktop, that is connected to a printer and the internet, you can send your print jobs to that printer. I haven't yet tried to connect my Chromebook to my desktop, although I have used my Chromebook for remote access to my desktop. The one thing you can't do is to use a printer connected directy to the Chromebook via USB. If your printer has its own IP address or if your printer is connected to a computer on the internet, you can print.

You can use the Amazon Cloud reader, and I believe that you can download books to be read in offline mode, so it's not a pure cloud reader.

I'm pleased with my Chromebook. It starts up fast, and has good battery life. They have added more offline capability, but I mostly use it at home where I have WiFi available.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
They've got the Internet on computers now?
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Go here for available apps -- Chrome Web Store - Books

Available Book Apps
  • Google Play Books
  • Kindle Cloud Reader
  • Kobo Instant Reader
You can add MagicScroll and Readium to this list. Readium is backed by idpf and can read EPUB3 too. Not a big deal but it's fun to see what good creative editor can do with this new type of book.
Ti-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
kennyc

Thanks for the printing information. I currently run two wifi networked printers so I'm assuming I would be able to use them with a chromebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I have a Chromebook. I haven't tried to print yet. But from what I know about it, you can use printers that are connected to the internet, some new printers connect to the network rather than to the computer. Also, if you have a computer, such as a desktop, that is connected to a printer and the internet, you can send your print jobs to that printer. I haven't yet tried to connect my Chromebook to my desktop, although I have used my Chromebook for remote access to my desktop. The one thing you can't do is to use a printer connected directy to the Chromebook via USB. If your printer has its own IP address or if your printer is connected to a computer on the internet, you can print.

You can use the Amazon Cloud reader, and I believe that you can download books to be read in offline mode, so it's not a pure cloud reader.

I'm pleased with my Chromebook. It starts up fast, and has good battery life. They have added more offline capability, but I mostly use it at home where I have WiFi available.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
That's why few people involved with them call them computers.

I think the operating theory is that in urban and suburban areas, one is never that far from an internet connection (even free ones). This is not for third world application, but for most places in North America and east of the Mississippi it should have significant value.

Do I think this is a device for the long term? Probably not, too much overlap with Android tablets, but for people who like the form factor of a laptop, it meets a need.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote