Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
10 million Samsung Galaxy Note (5.3" screen) sold worldwide in past 9 months

With the Galaxy Note 2 debuting today at IFA, maybe this refresher is appropriate.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-574...n-nine-months/

Quote:
Samsung Electronics has sold 10 million Galaxy Notes in the past nine months, according to Younghee Lee, head of global marketing for the conglomerate's mobile division.
Lee made the comment in the middle of Samsung's unveiling of the Galaxy Note 10.1 today in New York. The company previously said it sold 5 million 5.3-inch Galaxy Notes in five months.
The Galaxy Note sold well despite skepticism that the device was too big to serve as a phone, and too small to work as a tablet. Many had taken to calling it a "phablet."

Samsung, however, was attempting to create a new market with a tweener product that bridged the tablet and phone, and it has apparently succeeded.

How good is this 5.3 inches phone/tablet (or phablet) as an ereader? For a size comparison:

Kindle Keyboard is 6 inches. 5.3" is not far off.

The Galaxy Note 2 is debuting today at IFA. Rumor has it that it will have a 5.5" screen.

Last edited by Top100EbooksRank; 08-29-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I see scumbag Apple sueing soon this kingsize iPoney.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i can't wait for Note 2, lol :P
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Has apple got patent for declaring the number of devices sold? This news may infringe on that patent.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Has apple got patent for declaring the number of devices sold? This news may infringe on that patent.
Not yet, but I wouldn't put it past the USPTO to grant one.

But, that's still a pretty impressive number for the Note. I didn't think that it had that kind of selling power.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
But, that's still a pretty impressive number for the Note. I didn't think that it had that kind of selling power.
Had I been in the market for a new phone, Note would definitely be the front runner. I like the pen feature in note, but somehow I am disappointed with the implementation. What irritates me the most is the lag in the pen; sometimes back I saw a POC by Microsoft where they claimed to have removed the lag in a stylus input. I am not sure when will that be implemented in any of the phones or tablets but I will surely keep looking for it.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Had I been in the market for a new phone, Note would definitely be the front runner. I like the pen feature in note, but somehow I am disappointed with the implementation. What irritates me the most is the lag in the pen; sometimes back I saw a POC by Microsoft where they claimed to have removed the lag in a stylus input. I am not sure when will that be implemented in any of the phones or tablets but I will surely keep looking for it.
I always figured it was kind of a tough sell, hence my being impressed with the sales numbers (assuming it's units sold, not just shipped). It's bigger than your average phone, but not big enough as a fondleslab. I've held one, and it was comfy in my hands, and I loved the pen feature. But, I just...couldn't quite see it as a daily-driver phone or a tablet. It's kind of that middle ground that I was felt confused with.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
The Note I was the Jeremy Lin of the MBA.
The Note I was the Tim Tebow of the NFL.

Many, many Nay Sayers in each case.

Now there is a lot of scrambling to explain why the naysayers really weren't wrong. That it was a fluke. A one time aberration. At least in pro sports.

But I am more sure about the Note II than I am about Jeremy Lin or Tim Tebow, and I think the former mobile device naysayers are as well.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:38 AM   #9
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I can't wait for the Note 2 to get to the U.S.! Specs are good -- 2GB of RAM, improved stylus, bigger battery yet thinner than Note 1. 16:9 aspect ratio I don't care about, but I really like the feature where if you're on the phone and you pull out the S-pen the note app opens automatically so you can jot reminders.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #10
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Not bad, I hope v2 does as well or better. Too big for me though. I had a look at it when I picked up my latest phone, but thought the size was fairly ridiculous. Nice to read on, I'm sure, but so is the 4.3" screen on the phone I got instead.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Nice, but too expensive. Waiting to see what Samsung does to counter the Nexus 7. Those tablets are reasonably priced, unlike the 5" versions.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #12
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
It's sold well for something that got so many negative reviews.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Nice, but too expensive. Waiting to see what Samsung does to counter the Nexus 7. Those tablets are reasonably priced, unlike the 5" versions.
Those are tablets not phones, hence the price differential. I don't like it either but that's what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
It's sold well for something that got so many negative reviews.
I'm pretty sure the Note was pretty well received. I love mine. No doubt there are some niggles that I don't like (I really am not a fan of the camera). But it's pretty good on the whole.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Those are tablets not phones, hence the price differential. I don't like it either but that's what it is.
I know, but the addition of a cell radio doesn't warrant such an exponential jump in price. Smartphones are priced high, because people are willing to pay it. The Nexus 7 is reasonably priced, the Galaxy Note isn't.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I know, but the addition of a cell radio doesn't warrant such an exponential jump in price. Smartphones are priced high, because people are willing to pay it. The Nexus 7 is reasonably priced, the Galaxy Note isn't.
I agree cell phones are priced too high, but I think that is partly due to carriers subsidizing the phones. I think the Galaxy Nexus is a reasonably priced phone $350 for an unlocked phone.

I don't agree with you about the Nexus 7/KFire/Nook. The only reason the price is so attractive is because they make that money back in the appstore. But the low cost of that product is squeezing out vendors from making any money and will result in them leaving the market space because they cannot compete. That is not good scenario for consumers and vendors.

You don't have to have a business degree to know that selling a product at cost is no way to sustain a business.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote