Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
clambert
clambert began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
K2 Update Help Needed -> Can't get to 2.5.8 after old Jailbreak

Ok, so my wife has a K2 (B003) that I Jailbroke and installed the Screensaver hack on awhile back. Her software version is 2.5.3 and I wanted to update her at least to the latest software.

I've tried to install the latest official software but the update is failing.

Do I need to remove the jailbreak before updating? I'm not sure what I installed, so what bin do I use to remove it?

Do I need to remove the screensaver hack before installing the official software?

Aside from a factory reset, which I am avoiding at all cost (I don't want to have to rebuild her folders), what are my options?

I successfully installed and uninstalled another jailbreak hoping that would clear everything out but it still didn't allow me to install the official software update to 2.5.8.

Thanks in advance for any help.
clambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@clambert: Depending on what you actually installed, you may indeed need to clear some stuff. (And installing another jailbreak on top might not help matters, depending on what was installed before).

Only way to make sure is to actually check the logs to see what's causing the update to fail: ;debugOn then ;dumpMessages and finally ;debugOff in the search bar, and check the logfile that'll pop in the documents folder.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
clambert
clambert began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Only way to make sure is to actually check the logs to see what's causing the update to fail: ;debugOn then ;dumpMessages and finally ;debugOff in the search bar, and check the logfile that'll pop in the documents folder.
Ok, so should I enable this stuff and then try to install the official update?

So, do it like this?

;debugOn
;dumpMessages
Try my Update
;debugOff

Thanks for the help.
clambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Normally, you have to remove hacks to get an update to work.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
No need to run the update with debug on, unless you can't find it in the logs (look for stuff logged by otaup).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert