Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
Dieter
Dieter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Help on buying and sharing ebooks.

Hi all,

I'm pretty new when it comes to buying ebooks. So I've got a question about sharing buyed books within the household:

I understand that when you buy an ebook from an online shop, you can only view it on a limited amount of devices (because of DRM). Both me and my father have an ereader (both support epub), so I wondererd:

Can I (or my father) buy a book and put it on both devices? Is it necessary that whe have the same adobe DRM account, or can we have different account and still share our books?

Thanks in advance for your helpfull answers!
Dieter.

Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
If you register both devices you can access the same books.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
Dieter
Dieter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thanks for your reaction. Can we register our devices to two different accounts (one for me and one for my father) or do we need to use the same account for buying books?
Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
Thanks for your reaction. Can we register our devices to two different accounts (one for me and one for my father) or do we need to use the same account for buying books?
You can only (legally) share books if both devices are registered to the same ADE account.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Depends on who your account is with. The following link give you a quick rundown.

http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/how-to-...ipping-the-drm
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
To share Adobe ePubs without stripping DRM you need to use the same AdobeID. The nice thing about AdobeIDs is that they are not tied to a store or to credit cards. So you can both have separate accounts at one or more ebook stores, but still share ebooks by using the same AdobeID.

The exception is the Sony store, which does know your AdobeID and so you would have to experiment to see if two accounts with the same AdobeID works there. Two good alternatives to the Sony Store are Kobo (make sure they have an Adobe version of the ebook before buying) and Books on Board.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
It's up to 6 devices, isn't it ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote