Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #1471
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Ben Browder as Harry Dresden. Still typecast as John Crichton on Farscape. He's 50 years old.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #1472
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

Merry Christmas!

Thank you Alan!!

Wishing all of you: Very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #1473
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

Merry Christmas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Thank you Alan!!

Wishing all of you: Very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year!
Merry Christmas everyone and best wishes for the New Year. Happy Reading.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #1474
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas!

Somehow this looks disturbingly familiar.
Spoiler:

carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #1475
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Dana Stabenow refers to Harry Dresden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
....As well as Mountain Echoes (The Walker Papers) by C.E. Murphy - Feb 19, 2013 (#8, I think)
Quote:
Hmmmm....I'll look on amazon for that author/series...ah ha! $5.54 for book 1, Urban Shaman! The title and the price grabbed me (as I like native american characters and mythology -'Injun Joe' and 'skinwalker' [and cheap] for instance) and so I grabbed up a copy! Ah, my ever-expanding TBR!!
Quote:
I'm reading the first of that series called the Walker Papers by C.E. Murphy. She's kinda' interesting to me as she was born in Homer Alaska (I lived in Alaska for 1/2 of the 60's), writes this Urban Fantasy (presently my favorite genre) series about a 27 year old female native American Shaman and Catie Murphy (the author's actual name) presently lives in Ireland (a lot of Celtic mythology seems to be included in this first book, Urban Shaman). Also my college degree is in Anthropology and am interested in both Celtic and Native American mythology. :
I finished reading Urban Shaman by C.E. Murphy. An interesting and a quite different approach to Urban Fantasy than I've been exposed to before. Now I've just began reading A Deeper Sleep by Dana Stabenow, the 15th book in the Kate Shugak Mysteries series.

I'm a couple of chapters into A Deeper Sleep and just ran into this paragraph:

Quote:
Johnny, who obviously still had a lot of work ahead of him before he could start violating all the known laws of physics, gave up and trudged mournfully to his bedroom. Not neglecting to take the copy of the latest Harry Dresden novel with him, even though Kate’s bookmark was prominently clasped at the halfway mark.
Dana often refers to a book or series that I've read in these Kate Shugak books.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #1476
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Dana often refers to a book or series that I've read in these Kate Shugak books.

That is too bad though. While it is nice to have exposure, it also has the side-effect that the worlds are different from each other. It makes Harry Dresden simply a fiction book without them beeing able to coexist. The novels only exist in our world. If they exist in Harry's world, they would not be novels, but something else. They would be The Dresden Files (no pun intended) - except they are not written in a style that could be Harry's diary.

*sigh* that sucks, Harry Dresden is not real. Oh well, probably better - some things could be pretty scary first-hand.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #1477
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Harry Dresden is not real.
Whaaaaaat?????

Next thing you'll b saying crazy stuff about Santa and the Tooth Fairy...
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #1478
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Whaaaaaat?????

Next thing you'll b saying crazy stuff about Santa and the Tooth Fairy...
Stop with the spoilers. I am not far enough in the series to read about Santa or the Toot-Toot Faerie.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #1479
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Small Favor

Jim Butcher went far out of his way in Small Favor to entertain us with A LOT of fun (and real life teachings). Here is a few of his excellent works. As they are quotes from the book, they are spoilers:

Spoiler:

In order of apperance:

Since when is actor part of his magic?
Quote:
One slip, one miscalculation, one inconveniently placed patch of ice, and I would be able to add “pancake” to my impersonation repertoire.
The next one is my favourite by far (thus in bold). I can just see Harry's face rolling his eyes, hoping never to make a mistake again as long as he lives.
Quote:
“Kid. You just made the last mistake of your life.”
“God,” I said. “I wish.”
I told you so:
Quote:
“What’s gone wrong, Harry?”
“Hey!” I protested. “That’s a hell of a thing to say to a man, Captain. Just because I’m calling in doesn’t mean that there’s some kind of crisis.”
“Technically true, I suppose. Why are you calling?”
“Well. There’s a crisis.”
She made an mmmmmm sound.
Quote:
“Troubleshooters?” Michael asked.
“When there’s trouble,” I told him, “they shoot it.”
Quote:
“If I want to hurt Marcone,” I said, “all I need to do is sit down with a six-pack of beer and a bag of pretzels and let him twist in the wind.”
Why Mouse is a service dog:
Quote:
“I have a rare condition,” I said, scratching the big dog under the chin. “Can’t-get-a-date-itis. He’s supposed to be some kind of catalyst or conversation starter. Or failing that, a consolation prize. Anyway, he’s necessary.”
Oh come on, Harry, why not?
Quote:
I didn’t particularly care to find out what getting hit with a sharp stone ax felt like.
Quote:
I don’t remember Mister ever coming home nursing mouse-inflicted wounds. For that matter, he hardly ever came home from one of his rambles hungry. Playing cat and mouse is generally only fun for the cat.

As you can tell, I enjoy this book as much as any of them before.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #1480
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
I like this one

Spoiler:

What do you want on your vegetarian pizza?

Dead pigs and cows. They're vegetarians.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #1481
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool snarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
I like this one

Spoiler:

That's one of my very favorite Dresden snarks (is snark even a word?)!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #1482
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I like this one

Spoiler:

Quote:

Yes!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #1483
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I like this one

Spoiler:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes!
Yes. And you can tell that Harry never finished high school, because
Spoiler:
pigs could probably survive as vegetarians, but naturally eat everything if given half a chance
Old 12-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #1484
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Fabelhaven

Quote:
Oops. I meant Fabelhaven.

I have So You Want to Be a Wizard, but have not read it as yet.
Quote:
I did read The Millennium Edition of So You Want to Be a Wizard. The reply of mine you quoted referred to the Diane Duane series, Young Wizards. I've never investigated Fabelhaven.
Nyssa....Fablehaven has a pretty good price [$21.97] at amazon for the 5 book set (but not as good for the individual books [$6.00 & change each], so I grabbed up just the first one). I'll get the set for my Grandson (for his Fire) for his next birthday if I like the one I just got. I'll read it next and let you know.

Last edited by alansplace; 12-29-2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: oops!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #1485
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Nyssa....Fablehaven has a pretty good price [$21.97] at amazon for the 5 book set (but not as good for the individual books [$7.99 each], so I grabbed up just the first one). I'll get the set for my Grandson (for his Fire) for his next birthday if I like the one I just got. I'll read it next and let you know.

Cool! Thank you!!

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy